PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Cooked a slow cooker of beans and ham hock today. Came home 8 hours later and made corn bread. Drank 3 glasses of wine while that cooked and cooled. I want to go to the back porch for a smoke. Darn if two bowls of beans and corn bread and that wine have me in a food coma! Think I will just sit here for a while....
Any one have a favorite belly bomb food coma recipe for these cold nights they look forward to?

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
That sounds like an awesome meal. I keep trying to think what I most like to put me in a food coma, but I can't think and its making me hungry. At this moment in time, I'll probably say a big steak and a big bowl of chips, with peppercorn sauce

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
buster, Sounds like a fine meal! If you like corn bread, you need to try this recipe:
Pungo Creek Mills Spoon Bread (Custard Top)
1 cup Pungo Creek Mills Indian Cornmeal

1/2 cup flour

1/3 cup sugar

1 tsp. baking powder

1/4 tsp. salt

3 well beaten eggs

1 stick margarine

2 cups water

2 cups milk
Bring margarine and water to a boil. Pour hot mixture over dry ingredients and stir well. Stir in beaten eggs and milk and mix well. Pour into a greased 8 x 12 casserole dish and bake for 30 minutes in a 400 degree oven. Enjoy!
Of course, if you're going to make this spoon bread, you only want to use Pungo Creek Mills Indian cornmeal (www.pungocreekmills.net/). BTW, the corn they make this cornmeal from is the same corn we use for our Old Dominion cob pipes.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Mrs Perique is currently cooking up some Hoppin' John. And I've been smoking VaPers and drinking IPA while it's been cooking. So I may be joining you shortly in that food coma.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Oh Hoppin John is one of my favorites! IPA is a good call also. The wine I had tonight is named Ménage A Trois it s a blend and the only ménage a trios Mrs. Buster will allow me to enjoy. :)

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Pintos and cornbread is enough to make this country boy happy any day! Along with some good chow-chow, some sweet Vidalia onion, a little pepper vinegar and some good turnip greens on the side! I've never had wine with it, but a good, tall glass of sweet iced tea pairs nicely with it!
Of course, being the grandson of a butcher, my favorite meal would have to be a 20+ ounce medium rare porterhouse steak, with a loaded baked potato, buttered rolls, salad and a couple of cold Blue Moons on the side!

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
One of my favorite food coma meals here in the Netherlands is "stamppot" Which is like really good mashed potatoes with spinach and other things mixed in. Then you have it with some butcher fresh bratwurst and gravy. Makes you feel like a brick after and when paired with a stein of Bavarian beer its coma-city!

jservant98

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2013
Southern Oregon
Slow cooked beans and cornbread: That definitely equals a food coma for me! Those beans just sit in my stomach like a mountain of goodness and the cornbread solidifies it thus rendering me almost incapacitated. I then drift off into a food driven sleep-like state like a bear in hibernation!!!

saint007

Dec 22, 2013
In this part of the world, nothing beats a good seafood gumbo during cold weather. Blue crabs and shrimp served over popcorn rice with garlic bread is a sure way to knock oneself out.

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
A recipe from Paul Prudhomm with some minor changes from me.
RED BEANS AND RICE
1 pound dry red kidney beans, rinsed and picked over for debris

2 tablespoons vegetable oil

1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped

2 medium green bell peppers, stemmed and finely chopped

4 celery stalks, rinsed, trimmed and finely chopped

6 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped

6 cups water

4 packets Goya Ham Flavored Concentrate

5 bay leaves

2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves

1 1/2 teaspoons ground white pepper

1 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves

3/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

1 pound Andouille sausage, sliced

1/2 inch thick

1 tablespoon hot sauce, Tabasco or Frank's Red Hot "Extra Hot"

1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

Cooked rice
In a stockpot bring 10 cups of water and 1 teaspoon pickling salt to a rolling boil. Add the beans and boil for 2 to 3 minutes, cover and set aside overnight. Drain and rinse the beans thoroughly before cooking them.
In a large Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium-high heat until hot. Add the onion, peppers and celery. Sauté the vegetables until the onions are translucent.
Add the water and the beans. Bring to a boil over high heat and add the ham concentrate, bay leaves, thyme, white pepper, oregano, cayenne, and black pepper. Stir until toughly combined. Reduce heat and simmer the beans, uncovered, for 2 hours. Add the Andouille and simmer until the beans are tender, stirring every 30 minutes or so. Add boiling water as needed, to keep the beans barely covered.
Remove from the heat and stir in the hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Serve over the cooked rice.
VEGETARIAN VERSION:

• Omit the sausage

• Increase the vegetable oil to 1/4 cup

• Add 1 1/2 teaspoons liquid smoke with the seasonings

saint007

Dec 22, 2013
Love me some Red Beans and Rice, an awesome Creole dish! But, as a traditionalist, only on Mondays :wink:

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
I'm not anyway near Cajun or Creole but I noticed it does taste better on Mondays. My other go to is a Cajun chicken and sausage jambalaya.

saint007

Dec 22, 2013
Maybe we should start a thread on the differences between Cajun and Creole food. I'm not either but I did spend 50 years in New Orleans. Jambalaya is another Creole dish that was originally called Jambone. Jambone came to the northern capitol of the Caribbean, long before New Orleans was a part of the USA or the Acadians migrated to the gulf shores of Louisiana from Nova Scotia.
I'll just add that all the roux based dishes; gumbos, etouffees, bisque etc. are Creole in origin. Gumbo is the west African name for orka. Original gumbos included okra and I wouldn't make a duck gumbo without it. The spices used in southern Louisiana cuisine were all developed by slaves and Creoles in the Caribbean region.

Status
Not open for further replies.