PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

turtlehead

Might Stick Around
Jan 1, 2022
Citrus Heights, CA
timhalberg.com
In life I have tons of FOMO (fear of missing out) - so I see people spending tons of money on Frog Morton blends and Esoterica blends.

I'm not rich, but I'm stupid and will spend money on crap - so the spender in me says, what the heck, I could spend $100 one time to try some no longer available McClellands blends - but I'm curious - those of you who have had these - are they worth seeking out, even if to only try a bowl or two and say you've tried them?

AND - price aside... if it was the same price as other available blends, would you consider them worth seeking out? I get that they are "over priced" today...

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Personally if I spent that kind of money on McClelland or Esoterica it would only lead to disappointment. A 100 gram tin of McClelland VA’s retailed for about $15 when I was buying. For that price, you bet ya, same goes with Esoterica blends. In the end, they are just tobacco and you have a whole world of blends right now that will eventually go the way of McClelland and then those blends will demand ridiculous prices. I would stick with what’s available… you can always pretend they are hard to get.

Edit to add, I wouldn’t spend retail price on the Frog blends, in my opinion there are way better English blends on the market right now, even McClelland had much better English blends than the Frog line up. They have their fans and they are decent blends to get started with but by no means were they the end all be all. If you do go for an over priced tinned of McClelland go for their VA’s, after all, that’s what they were known for.

Last edited:

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Personally if I spent that kind of money on McClelland or Esoterica it would only lead to disappointment. A 100 gram tin of McClelland VA’s retailed for about $15 when I was buying. For that price, you bet ya, same goes with Esoterica blends. In the end, they are just tobacco and you have a whole world of blends right now that will eventually go the way of McClelland and then those blends will demand ridiculous prices. I would stick with what’s available… you can always pretend they are hard to get.

Edit to add, I wouldn’t spend retail price on the Frog blends, in my opinion there are way better English blends on the market right now, even McClelland had much better English blends than the Frog line up. They have their fans and they are decent blends to get started with but by no means were they the end all be all. If you do go for an over priced tinned of McClelland go for their VA’s, after all, that’s what they were known for.
I always considered the Frogs to be “almost real tobacco “ blends - crossovers if you will - a blend that gently takes a new guy from 1Q to English.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
There's a tons of possible answers to your question but it's you who puts worth on things.... To me the answer is no.

My experience is based on my palate and I was able to try their Latakia and it's not for Mia, nor is anyone else's Latakia (Syrian, Cyprian, ect...)

Thier Virginias are famed and I have spent some cash for a lovely matured tin. Is it great, fantastic...nope. There are plenty of good/great VA blends that I really enjoy, as much.

I was not raised on McClelland's either, so its not a loss to me.
To others, it's a huge loss, like having to get rid of an old pair of comfy slippers.

If your new to pipe smoking, find a pipe club, spend some time get to know folks and they will share. See if you like it and if it's magical to you then buy a tin or three and enjoy it!

Esoterica is still available, so wait for a drop.

Only you can put out forest fires, only you.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
In life I have tons of FOMO (fear of missing out) - so I see people spending tons of money on Frog Morton blends and Esoterica blends.

are they worth seeking out, even if to only try a bowl or two and say you've tried them?
I had the same issues when I started up with pipes 3 years ago.
Read all the glowing reviews on the Frog Morton and Esoterica blends and chased around for them.

You know what - they are good. But they are not my favourite blends.

Sure, I could have bought XXX tins/blends for the same money.
Not saying that everyone should do the same.
BUT I'm pleased I scratched that itch.

Would I do the same again ? Most probably not.

Razorback

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2019
Atlanta, GA
You don’t have to spend tons of money to secure Esoterica. Heck, TP just dropped this morning. 9 different blends (including Stonehaven) for $44 per bag. And Germain’s blends like Special Latakia Flake and Bridge old Brown for $10.19 per tin.

I passed, but some friends of mine cleaned up, and good for them.

Reactions: turtlehead

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
The McClelland blends are truly exceptional. I had a good ten year run with them readily available at normal prices. Even being out almost completely I’m not paying out serious cash for them. And the Esoterica stuff drops from time to time at regular pricing. There is currently so much good stuff available right now from companies like GLP and C&D. I think the money is better off picking up some great current blends.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
but I'm curious - those of you who have had these - are they worth seeking out, even if to only try a bowl or two and say you've tried them?
Yes, if you can try them without major financial outlay, NO otherwise. They're good makes, but nothing that isn't equaled elsewhere in a different way. There's NO WAY I would pay the kind of money that some people are shelling out, for any tobacco blend. I've worked too hard for the money to just piss it away in that way.

I'll piss it away in some other way. But my way of pissing away money is smarter than other people's ways of pissing away money

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
the fact is you're bound to be disappointed. They're just tobacco. And if it helps you've missed out on a lot more then that. There are so many blends that just don't exist anymore. The thing is there are a lot of amazing blends right now available for much less. And frankly never hear anyone say they picked up a tin and man it was just so worth it. Also if they're worth that much why aren't the people who have them keeping them? Think about that one.
Oh and you could get a nice pipe for that price.

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
Up to you obviously. I consider the price of a box of good cigars. Generally over $100. And maybe I get 20 to 25 bowls out of a 100 gram tin ( I have no idea how many bowls). So even though I used to buy McClelland for $10 to $15 per 100 gram tin...I can see the math on the higher prices now.

I'm a fan of Frog, and I've not found anything else like it. And did buy a pile of it shortly after McClelland closed doors, and I did spend more that I used to retail. I don't regret it.

That said, $100 for a tin of tobacco seems alot to me, and not just because I'm a thrifty Yankee. But that's the going rate. A 50gr tin of Krumble Kake can fetch $250. Seriously nice tobacco, a seriously high price.

If you have the $, live on the edge and buy a tin. Or, save your hard earned money and move on. Lots of good tobacco still on the market.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Up to you obviously. I consider the price of a box of good cigars. Generally over $100. And maybe I get 20 to 25 bowls out of a 100 gram tin ( I have no idea how many bowls). So even though I used to buy McClelland for $10 to $15 per 100 gram tin...I can see the math on the higher prices now.

I'm a fan of Frog, and I've not found anything else like it. And did buy a pile of it shortly after McClelland closed doors, and I did spend more that I used to retail. I don't regret it.

That said, $100 for a tin of tobacco seems alot to me, and not just because I'm a thrifty Yankee. But that's the going rate. A 50gr tin of Krumble Kake can fetch $250. Seriously nice tobacco, a seriously high price.

If you have the $, live on the edge and buy a tin. Or, save your hard earned money and move on. Lots of good tobacco still on the market.
I think the biggest issue is simply how much great stuff there is for a lot less. Compounded by no way to be sure the buyer is going to be wowed by that particular expensive blend. And I also hear that all those old tins are actually not just aromatics but specifically sour grape scented :).

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH

I'm not rich, but I'm stupid and will spend money on crap - so the spender in me says, what the heck, I could spend $100 one time to try some no longer available McClellands blends - but I'm curious - those of you who have had these - are they worth seeking out, even if to only try a bowl or two and say you've tried them?

AND - price aside... if it was the same price as other available blends, would you consider them worth seeking out? I get that they are "over priced" today...
I have smoked a few Esoterica blends and a few McClelland's as well, even though I started smoking in earnest after McClelland closed their doors.

My observation of the Esoterica blends? Esoterica makes some really nice blends, that's for sure, and they're not bad value at MSRP. At aftermarket prices? There are plenty of more readily available and cheaper blends that are at least as good, though. G. L. Pease, for example.

As for the McClelland blends I've tried, they have been unique and excellent. McClelland had a distinct style, especially to their Virginias, so if you're into Va's or VaPers, McClelland made some all time blends that are definitely worth seeking out, if not just to try them and see what the fuss is about.

Is any tobacco worth 125-150/tin? Your return on a 100 gr tin of McClelland isn't bad, if you get, say 30 bowls out of a tin, averaging out to less than the average cigar per bowl, but if you compare that to 25 bucks for 100 gr it looks like less of a value.

But what do I know. I just bought some secondary Tilbury and McClelland's 40th off of @simmerdown. But I did get a good deal based on current prices.

jlopez

Might Stick Around
Jan 5, 2022
Southwest TX
I'm still new to pipes and pipe tobacco, so I have been experimenting and learning. A friend from another forum (the one who told me about this forum) was very generous in introducing me to the hobby and sent a "welcome package," if you will. He included some McClelland 5100 Red Cake and it blew me away. My palate was still VERY new to pipe tobacco and I wish I had set aside some to try it now that I've gotten my feet wet.

I will tell you that I have not yet experienced that kind of flavor again (katsup, vinegar. Sounded weird when described to me but I totally get it).

Would I shell out the kind of money asked nowadays? No. But, I do think of it often and would be lying if I said I didn't hope that when I try a new tobacco it mirrors those properties.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio

@turtlehead ... I began this hobby after McClelland was gone, so it's not something I will have. However, I have had a couple Esoterica blends. I have a bit of Peacehaven open right now and would be happy to sand you a sample and then you can decide if it's worth hunting down more Esoterica. Just shoot me a PM with your address of you, if interested.

turtlehead

Might Stick Around
Jan 1, 2022
Citrus Heights, CA
timhalberg.com
@turtlehead ... I began this hobby after McClelland was gone, so it's not something I will have. However, I have had a couple Esoterica blends. I have a bit of Peacehaven open right now and would be happy to sand you a sample and then you can decide if it's worth hunting down more Esoterica. Just shoot me a PM with your address of you, if interested.
Dang, that's super generous!!!! Will message, thanks!

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I’ve been smoking long enough to have smoked and stocked up on many McClelland blends before they closed. I’m very happy to have the supply that I do, because they are high-quality unique blends and which include my all time favorite blend. Bring familiar with them, I am positive I won’t be buying any on the secondary market if my supply runs out. They’re great and I’ll miss them, but they’re not $100-for-a-tin good. That’s probably cold comfort for someone who’s never tried them, but you’ll be so much better off stocking up on the blends you like that are currently available.
Then again, it’s your $$$, not mine.

turtlehead

Might Stick Around
Jan 1, 2022
Citrus Heights, CA
timhalberg.com
I’ve been smoking long enough to have smoked and stocked up on many McClelland blends before they closed. I’m very happy to have the supply that I do, because they are high-quality unique blends and which include my all time favorite blend. Bring familiar with them, I am positive I won’t be buying any on the secondary market if my supply runs out. They’re great and I’ll miss them, but they’re not $100-for-a-tin good. That’s probably cold comfort for someone who’s never tried them, but you’ll be so much better off stocking up on the blends you like that are currently available.
Then again, it’s your $$$, not mine.
thanks! I like that feedback a lot