PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lohengrin

Lifer
Jun 16, 2015
Tom Eltang kindly answered to a mail I sent to him in which I praised his design qualities. He added that design is importat, but who build pipes must follow briar too. So I understood that I had to start my drawings following the flame and bird eyes of the block of briar I actually had in my hands.

As a beginner, I tried to follow exactly the shape briar was suggesting to me and here's the result of this experimentation:
This is Boar
yjYZhMFh.jpg
RZOuvAwh.jpg
eHJtbnVh.jpg
tWURZHqh.jpg
M8jaNU5h.jpg

After I modified a little bit the stem
54V31S3h.jpg

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
That appears to be one massive pipe! How about a shot with a ruler or quarter included.
It's different, that's for sure. Different, still interesting, not unpleasant to look at but . . . different. Your "eye" is certainly different than mine. I'd have to remove more briar to get to the pipe were I doing the work. Still, don't let my opinion affect your concept.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I'm not a huge fan of non-traditional pipe shapes, but I actually really like this one. Like Warren says, a little size perspective would be nice so we could see how big it is.

alexnorth

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2015
Definitely a different but good-looking pipe. I like the shot from underneath.

carytobacco

Can't Leave
Nov 23, 2012
Cary, NC
Amazing. It looks as if you went as non-traditional as the briar allowed, without going overboard just for the sake of being non-traditional. I think it looks great.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
You certainly took the 'follow the briar' advice, and a lovely block that is.
I look forward to seeing more of your work as you continue on.
-- Pat

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
I'd say you captured what the block had to offer. I'm not sure about the shape but the grain is spectacular. But then again I'm not much for non-traditional styles. Nice work.

lohengrin

Lifer
Jun 16, 2015
Warren; L 7,7 in (5,30 without stem), H 1,60 in, W 4,40 oz. Even the next pipes I'll show are bigger than usual; the works of a beginner who is not still able to correctly sacrifice the nice material in his hands!
Everybody: this shape came out from the desire to mantain the whole block of briar just trying and lighten the wood.

pipesdownunder

Might Stick Around
Nov 3, 2013
I love the profile shape but not so much the top view. Just my 2 cents! Very impressive for a beginner.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I'm just making an observation here. I think you are a bit more interested in the briar than a pipe. You are creating nice curves and preserving grain while assaying to make a usable pipe. The sculpture is winning. As a pipe it looks clumsy to me. But, as a nicely sculpted piece of a very fine block of briar it is eye catching.

lohengrin

Lifer
Jun 16, 2015
Same incapability to spare briar:
Big Horn L 8,30 in, H 2,3 in, W 4,55 oz.
KarGI8Vh.jpg
t86msZ1h.jpg

Oval
Ty2Oq2Kh.jpg
XpokIqxh.jpg

Churchwarden
FGgD02Qh.jpg

Little Wing
FGgD02Qh.jpg
8KT0Tokh.jpg
HfMKiZ9h.jpg

Status