folks with beautiful pipes; smooths and sandblasts; with beautiful finishes!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

9 Fresh Claudio Cavicchi Pipes
New Accessories
48 Fresh Chacom Pipes
12 Fresh Radice Pipes
18 Fresh Ropp Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipevilleworld

Might Stick Around
Apr 12, 2011
Yes and hello:

I thought I'd simply wipe away all finger prints left on one my Mario Grandi-s last night. And to my astonishment, I had held in my hand the same pipe but with much less of a sheen. How do you gentlemen clean your pipes... and then, of course, restore the the glossy finish it originally had? Sandblasts seem IMPOSSIBLE to free of all oils and residuals that live on ones fingers. Why does plain water... wreck the finish? Do you guys even GIVE a shit about preserving your pipes original luster?

nemrod

Can't Leave
Apr 28, 2011
Sweden
Can't say I've done much about it so far - but then I've only been smoking for a year and the pipe I've smoked the most (the one I usually take with me outside) isn't glossy so there's no loss of gloss to redeem.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Dont use water on wood !!!!!!!!

Especially briar, it will wreck the finish, make the grain uneven, and leave stains on the wood. That really goes for any wood, cabintes, tables, whatever.

The easy way is to just use olive oil, or something like Briar Pipe Wipe.

The hard way is to buy a buffer with Muslin and Flannel buffing wheels, plus buffing compound and Carnauba Wax.

But, at the very least, keep water away and use olive oil.

strongirish

Can't Leave
Aug 20, 2010
Lake Conroe, TX
Actually, I clean mine with Restora Finish and wax and buff them on my buffer. But I also keep a rag inpregnated with Pledge and rub my pipe with it and it does a good job too.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I am fanatical about keeping smooth pipes shiny. I'm with irish on this one except that I won't use pledge, I'll occasionally use Briar Pipe Wipe but the vast majority of the time I use solid carnauba wax on my buffer. If they are dirty, I'll clean them down with some tripoli but it takes a very light hand not to remove the finish. For sandblasted, I'll clean them with some warm water and an old tooth brush and then lightly buff it. If its really dull, then I'll use some Halcyon.
While lots of people will disagree, I don't use oils or liquid waxes on the briar. The briar was meant to breath and oils and liquid waxes clog the pores.

onizuka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 28, 2010
If you need a quick fix, use the oil from your nose. Seriously.

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
I use a product called Goo Gone and a soft tooth brush to clean rusticated and blasted pipes. I've had a few estate pipes that were filthy and cleaned up nicely without damaging the stain. For severe crud infestation try Murphy Oil Soap. Use it carefully though, it can take off the stain if you use a heavy hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.