PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

frankth

Lurker
Sep 11, 2013
Hey Folks, fishing season is over in my homeland since september 9. I have to say that I start smoking pipe because I there's nothing better in life than a nice bowl of premium tobacco in pair with a fly fishing rod.
What is your favorite setup when you go out fishing ?

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I am just getting into fly fishing this year. Mostly learning how to cast so far. I joined a club, took a class and go to the casting ponds every Saturday morning. I have a 5 wt G-loomis GLX, a 3-wt Redington And just got a TFO mini mag 8-10 wt for largemouth bass. The club hosts fish outs and next months is one for land locked striped bass. I plan on going and bringing the TFO.

bullbriar

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2013
Welcom to the forums.

I've been fly fishing since I was a kid, and I've used the same setup. I love Sage rods. I use a 5 wt. 8' for trout and panfish, a 6 wt. 9' for bass and fishing out west, and finally, a 9 wt. 9' for bluefish and stripers.

I usually pack a Brog Rhodesian when I fish, so if I lose it, I won't cry too much.

Good luck.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
I fish streams and lakes (with a float tube) for trout and bass/pan fish. I normally use a 6 wt line with a Cortland reel and an Orvis 9' rod. I have multiple spools with various lines, including sinking and sinktip lines for float tubing. When I steelhead fish I use a custom made 8wt x 9' rod with a fighting butt. The lines for these have shooting taper heads.

fishingandpipes

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2013
I have a Gray's 11ft 4 wt, a Gray's 8.5ft 4wt, and a TFO 9ft 8wt.
As far as smoking and fly fishing goes... I guess I'm uncoordinated, because it never seems to work out.

frankth

Lurker
Sep 11, 2013
I am planning a Fly fishing trip to United States next summer, any suggestion ? I heard a lot of good thing about Montana

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Mainly trout and panfish is what I go after with a fly. I prefer a 7 1/2 to 8 1/2ft 4/5wt rod with very light tippet. As far as pipe and bacy goes, I take my MM cobs and MM Ozark Hardwoods, mainly to keep from losing or damaging my more expensive pipes. Bacy, just depends on the mood!

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
frankth - Montana is world class for trouts during the summer and fall. I went earlier this year (early July) to beat the forest fires and river closures and had the absolute best catching on the Madison in the 40+ years I've been ffishing it. There are plenty of other waters, depending on season. I love the Catskills in the spring and early summer. And here in Pennsylvania I dry fly fish every month of the year - we have spring creeks that hold the nice cold temperatures in the summer - the same temperatures are warm on a relative basis in the winter.
I have a couple of hundred fly rods and just as many reels, since I like to specialize in the different situations. Some of my favorites are bamboo (like fishbanjo), but I love some of my glasses, borons and yes, even plastic (graphite).
hp and tl

les

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Ok I forgot my pipe choices. I bring a Butz Chocum bulldog with a wind cap, or a Dr. Grabo with a wind cap or a cob. All will be loaded with 1Q or sugar barrel. Just simple easy smoking backy. Nothing I have to think much about.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I used to fly fish a lot for trout in small MD and PA streams. But, in recent years, finding time and good water was more difficult and my gear was getting dusty. I sold a 7' 3 weight Thomas & Thomas rod paired with a J. Ryall reel to kick start my pipe collection. I still have a 5 weight Fenwick rod and lower grade Orvis reel saved for when I retire...
Although I have to say this thread is useless............without pictures!

Status
Not open for further replies.