PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
You gotta get the fly out there, let it sink and then work it to attract the fish. I do a lot of wet fly fishing, it's an added skill set, different than working the fly on the surface. Sometimes you work it shallow, sometimes down fifteen, twenty feet.
"Wet" flies imitate larva and emerging bugs. Dry flies imitate develop bugs, landing on the surface. Then there are "flies" that imitate eggs bounding on the stream bed or floating with the current. And, there are leeches, egg sucking leechs and, a favorite up here, leech sucking eggs. They work and they are purely a novelty someone dreamed up over a long, dark, boring winter.
edit: Fish can be both surface feeders and feed at depth. Sometimes you gotta put the fly below the surface. Lake trout hardly ever hunt on the surface in my experience. So, it's not always simulated flies being fished.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Fly fishing season is year round up here baby! Just need some chap stick to keep the guide rings from icing up! Here is a decent one from April.......Prince Nymph, one of 11 on the day :D
Giving the trout a break while they spawn, salmon season is underway now anyway. Kings now, reds in a few weeks and through July, Silvers in August, then its back to the trout and dollies for Bead season (with a short break for moose season of course!). A few grayling peppered in for good measure. Rainbows on bugs all winter, Situk Steelhead in spring, and then do it all over again!
There is certainly something about being on the water that is even more addicting than Vitamin N. The tug is the drug, baby!
image1-1-600x337.jpg

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
ophiuchus: Where on the Manistee are you headed? I wish I was headed up there right now with a sink tip and a box full of streamers

Sorry to miss this the first time around, krizzoze ... Tippy Dam! (Didn't catch anything to keep ... didn't matter. It was a great time.)

Status
Not open for further replies.