Fleur de Semois-Do I Need a Dedicated Pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

titus

Might Stick Around
Nov 18, 2013
Canada
Back from Belgium, picked up some Fleur de Semois-Val Ardennais. Nervous to open it up which might seem silly, but from what I have read it's quite different and I might need to dedicate a pipe to this particular tobacco.
Fire and oil wrote a great review http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/3789/tabac-manil-fleur-de-semoison In the review his advice was "A note of caution: use a cob - Semois is not to be trifled with. It's strong and it WILL ghost your briar, no question"
I don't have a spare Cob but will certainly get one if it's necessary. Anyone else have any experience with this tobacco?

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I'd get a cob for it. You smoke enough of it any one pipe and it's gonna ghost it. I had some awhile back and used a cob as well. I had to smoke the ghost out with VaPers.
Semois isn't for me.

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
I used a cob for Semois. I believe it was Romeowood who recommended it, saying it will ghost a briar. If you like Semois enough to make it a regular smoke than dedicating a briar to it makes sense.

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
I used a cob for Semois. I believe it was Romeowood who recommended it, saying it will ghost a briar. If you like Semois enough to make it a regular smoke than dedicating a briar to it makes sense.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I would also recommend a Cob for this tobacco.
A medium sized bowl like the MM Washington is perfect.
However, I also smoke this in an older Dr. Grabow that is dedicated to Burley's and it works well.
I would say, if you don't have a spare cob, at least use a Burley dedicated bowl.
Enjoy ... This is one unique, "barnyardish" tobacco that took me awhile to appreciate.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hmmm. Semois isn't Lakeland tobacco. No soap flavor, no perfume. It's straight up burley, just grown in

a somewhat different soil than most burley we smoke. I would be amazed if it will ghost anything, but designate

if it makes you feel better. For people who tolerate burley well, and enjoy its taste, it is sublime -- you can tell

that's me. For other even experienced pipers, it is a really unpleasant smoke. It comes dry and stays dry. Don't

add moisture. It burns fairly fast, not like Five Brothers, but fast. This "commercial" was brought to you by two

good Forums members, one of whom sent me a sample -- I thought it would be about three bowls and it packed

about six -- and another Canadian friend who, having tried the stuff and really despised it, sent me his whole package...

and another tin of excellent tobacco and a great estate pipe! The tobacco is really inspiring, but the generosity of members is

even more so.

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
I have, and like, Semois La Bremeuse which is what is most available here in the states. If this is what mso489 is referring to then along with him I've not noticed any ghosting issues with it at all. The Fleur de Semois, as the name implies, may well be quite different and might incline one to think of ghosting problems. Not much way to know without having both to directly compare. The very few reviews of both on TR.com do indicate a considerable difference between the two.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I am curious what the difference between the Fleur Semois and LA Bremeuse Semois is. I have not had any issuse with the La Bremeuse Semois ghosting any pipes. But I cannot speak for the Fleur line as I have never tried it.

titus

Might Stick Around
Nov 18, 2013
Canada
Ack, thanks all. Rather than pick up a spare Cob I will use an older less smoked pipe that needs and deserves an outing:)

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I am curious what the difference between the Fleur Semois and La Bremeuse Semois is
The only difference is the cut. La brumeuse is wide cut, Fleur de semois is fine cut, and Réserve du patron is the medium cut.
Also, just to clarify, it is not a strain of Burley but rather a similar, unique variant.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
This is exciting as I've been waiting for more of the half-dozen Semois varieties to get to North America, though it may not be available in the US as yet. But Mr. Manil's La Bremeuse arrived here, so I'm hoping that Fleur de Semois-Val Ardennais will, too. As you might tell I love La Bremeuse.
If someone tells you that it will ghost, believe them, at least until you have experience that says otherwise.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
My experience was not so much thinking about a pipe that wouldn't get ghosted, but finding a pipe "clean" enough to get all the lovely nuances of the blend.

I settled on a clay, the tobacco was and is lovely.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Thanks for bringing to my attention that there is a "Fleur de.." version of Semois. I enjoy the regular Semois.

I guess I'm a yellow dog burley lover. But a scented version likely would not be my thing. As I've mentioned

elsewhere, when I pair the Semois with a deep bowl, bent billiard Ferndown pipe, it gives the leaf plenty of

time to burn and plenty of space to expand its full flavor, and if you crave non-aromatic burley, it is a beautiful

combination. I think the deep bowl may be the key, less than the wider, more shallow bowls (pot, prince, author)

that unfold complex blends.

Dec 24, 2012
Recently I had the opportunity to try semois for a second time.
Sadly, the opportunity fell on the same weekend I have my electroshock treatments, though semois certainly is an adequate substitute.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
La Breumuse is singularly good. There's nothing else, a gift of the Ardennes Valley that gives up the ghost if grown elsewhere. Why would anyone want the medium or short cut versions when it already burns fast?

Status
Not open for further replies.