PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Western Caccalack Hinterlands
Welcome Hobbs! Focus on what makes you happy and experiment changing one variable at the time if you want to change something up. My simple recommendation for starting out is, dry your tobacco more than you think you need to, gently tamp if/when you tamp, and sip slowly. The less I deeply puff, the more flavor I get.

This may work for you, but before I light, I draw on the packed and unlit pipe. You should get a taste of what you are about to smoke that to me, tastes much bolder for aromatics than the taste once I light. Once I light, the flavors become more subtle and have to be sensed in the smoke and enjoyed as they come…not pursued with heat generating puff attacks! YMMV. Welcome and look forward to seeing more of your fantastic ships!

Hobbs

Lurker
Jan 12, 2022
Central New York State
Do you know about Tobacco Reviews?
Tobacco Reviews | Browse and Review your Favorite Pipe Tobacco Products

Remember everyone is different, but if you find a reviewer with similar tastes based on what you've tried, that can help steer you more directly to what else you may like and prefer.

PS Feel free to post pics of your models, we'd like to see them.

Thanks…and yes on the Review site. I joined a few days ago and refer to it often.

I second the idea of trying out some English/Oriental/Latakia blends. These are flavor powerhouses. English blends much are more tolerant of middling technique than aros.

The other thing I recommend is that you dry down your tobacco until it feels dry to the touch without being crumbly dry. An excess of moisture masks flavors.

Yesterday I just ordered some 1 oz samples of some of the blends you mentioned and am anxious to try them.
I recently tried two aros - Lane 1-Q and Mac 7 Seas Royal. Although very mild flavor for me, I could detect a slight difference between the two and really enjoyed the denseness of the smoke with the Lane.
Will try the drying down you recommend.

Welcome Hobbs! Focus on what makes you happy and experiment changing one variable at the time if you want to change something up. My simple recommendation for starting out is, dry your tobacco more than you think you need to, gently tamp if/when you tamp, and sip slowly. The less I deeply puff, the more flavor I get.

This may work for you, but before I light, I draw on the packed and unlit pipe. You should get a taste of what you are about to smoke that to me, tastes much bolder for aromatics than the taste once I light. Once I light, the flavors become more subtle and have to be sensed in the smoke and enjoyed as they come…not pursued with heat generating puff attacks! YMMV. Welcome and look forward to seeing more of your fantastic ships!

Thanks. Yes, I have tried many puffing and breathing techniques in my short trials and will keep at it. As mentioned above, although no flavor was detected between the Lane and Mac, I WAS able to detect their subtle differences.
Both bowls only needed a couple re-lights with light tampering as I go. That alone is a vast improvement as my first few bowls my ashtray looked like a harvested tree forest due to all the matches I went through.

Old_Newby

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2022
Texas
First, thanks for all the well wishes from the Intro Section. I have a question that I hope I can get help with.

As I mentioned, I am a complete newbie to pipes...only about three weeks.
I have started with a MM Country Gentleman and an inexpensive Pear with a half bent style. I have also purchased a Paladin and Cpt Black pouches both in Cherry to start since my local store does not have much of a selection.

Like many, I like experimenting in the quest to find what works and doesn't. And obviously at my early stages, I am still learning to properly pack and tamp. I'm happy to say that my experience has lead me to being able to have to only re-light about three times per bowl. BUT...the one thing that has always eluded me even in my cigar days is to be able to extrude flavor.

Now I will preface this by stating that most of this problem is probably due to me. My taste buds are shot. I'm the kind of person that in order to taste garlic in food, I have to really load up on it when cooking.
With wine and cigars I always read were people talk about the nuances of the flavor. With wine, they taste chocolate, fruit, vanilla, etc. With cigars, they taste herbs, almonds, coffee, etc.
With me and cigars, I taste only smoke. Either smooth, harsh or mellow, that's all I ever taste. Seriously. And these are very fine cigars like Ashtons, Padron Anniversarios and many others.
Same with wine. I know which wines I like but rarely ever taste the nuances.

Now, in the world of pipe tobacco, I'm afraid the same thing will happen. The tobaccos mentioned above are more or less trial tobaccos and I realize they are not the best and considered mild. Nonetheless, I still do not taste any real flavors. I have tried different breathing techniques as read on this forum and still not much in difference.

I have just purchased a few 2 oz tins to try including:
Lane 1Q & Hazelnut
Mac Baren Seven Seas Royal Blend
Sutliff Vanilla Custard & Creme Brulee

I realize these are the sweeter ones but needed to start somewhere. It's worth noting that I am not just stuck on Aromatics and hence the question.
What could you recommend for someone like me that is hard pressed to find flavor? I know that this is a very subjective question but hoping to be guided into finding full rich FLAVOR.

Thanks for any help.
Our stories align exactly. I am in about 3 weeks. Have tried the Sir Walter, Captain Black, Lane 1Q, Cherry. About try a light aromatic or light English blend. Let’s share if anything is a wow aha moment. Be aware Lane makes CB and 1Q and per attached review they are the same blends.

Attachments

• E30F3D92-C767-432B-B96D-F867E68F723E.jpeg
    E30F3D92-C767-432B-B96D-F867E68F723E.jpeg
    123.4 KB · Views: 8

Hobbs

Lurker
Jan 12, 2022
Central New York State
Our stories align exactly. I am in about 3 weeks. Have tried the Sir Walter, Captain Black, Lane 1Q, Cherry. About try a light aromatic or light English blend. Let’s share if anything is a wow aha moment. Be aware Lane makes CB and 1Q and per attached review they are the same blends.
Will do. Yes, I have read about Cpt Black and 1-Q. Of course I didn’t discover that until I purchased the 1-Q.
As mentioned above, I have ordered some English Blends and should have them by Monday. Unfortunately, we are supposed to have a winter storm which will leave me a bit stranded for a few days due to temporary living arraignments where I’m at. AND it is now so cold (-2 to 7) that I cannot go outside to enjoy a bowl.

Reactions: Old_Newby

Old_Newby

Jan 1, 2022
Texas
Same with me on Lane products. I do like CB Original. Sorry to hear about weather. I am in Texas and it’s 35-40 and windy so I am staying inside myself. If - degrees no way.. but if no wind and calm maybe a quick smoke while bundled up could work? ?

mikecronis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2021
I was going to joke to get Captain Black but you actually bought it so now it's sad and morbid. Throw it away.

Anything by Sutliff is usually very good, particularly their Private Reserve tins.

Boswell Pipes & Tobacco make excellent aromatics such as Cherry Smash.

English offerings such as Seattle's Plum Pudding Private Reserve, Boswell's Northwoods, or Balkan Savinelli are very nice.

Mac Baren Vanilla Flake is good and their Cherry Ambrosia is decent.

Old_Newby

Jan 1, 2022
Texas
Hobbs I commented earlier that we’re both new and to share info. The OTC codger trials helped me find a good everyday low cost in Match Carter Hall. However I really wanted to try a Latakia. To me Latakia smells like a strong powerful tobacco that will make me dizzy, so I was very weary of trying it too soon. I went with a low Latakia blend yesterday and tried Early Morning Pipe.
Boy is it delicious to me. An analogy to me would be my Carter Hall is like a delicious cheeseburger and Early Morning Pipe is like a good steak with garlic butter and mushrooms. Both are good but one is that richer flavor. Not at all what I expected. Of course I am an infant to this world so in 5 years will probably laugh at this analogy. Try it.

Reactions: monty55

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
First, thanks for all the well wishes from the Intro Section. I have a question that I hope I can get help with.

As I mentioned, I am a complete newbie to pipes...only about three weeks.
I have started with a MM Country Gentleman and an inexpensive Pear with a half bent style. I have also purchased a Paladin and Cpt Black pouches both in Cherry to start since my local store does not have much of a selection.

Like many, I like experimenting in the quest to find what works and doesn't. And obviously at my early stages, I am still learning to properly pack and tamp. I'm happy to say that my experience has lead me to being able to have to only re-light about three times per bowl. BUT...the one thing that has always eluded me even in my cigar days is to be able to extrude flavor.

Now I will preface this by stating that most of this problem is probably due to me. My taste buds are shot. I'm the kind of person that in order to taste garlic in food, I have to really load up on it when cooking.
With wine and cigars I always read were people talk about the nuances of the flavor. With wine, they taste chocolate, fruit, vanilla, etc. With cigars, they taste herbs, almonds, coffee, etc.
With me and cigars, I taste only smoke. Either smooth, harsh or mellow, that's all I ever taste. Seriously. And these are very fine cigars like Ashtons, Padron Anniversarios and many others.
Same with wine. I know which wines I like but rarely ever taste the nuances.

Now, in the world of pipe tobacco, I'm afraid the same thing will happen. The tobaccos mentioned above are more or less trial tobaccos and I realize they are not the best and considered mild. Nonetheless, I still do not taste any real flavors. I have tried different breathing techniques as read on this forum and still not much in difference.

I have just purchased a few 2 oz tins to try including:
Lane 1Q & Hazelnut
Mac Baren Seven Seas Royal Blend
Sutliff Vanilla Custard & Creme Brulee

I realize these are the sweeter ones but needed to start somewhere. It's worth noting that I am not just stuck on Aromatics and hence the question.
What could you recommend for someone like me that is hard pressed to find flavor? I know that this is a very subjective question but hoping to be guided into finding full rich FLAVOR.

Thanks for any help.
burly. I think strong burly is going to be your friend. More a gut feeling then an informed opinion. But somewhat informed.
you can use this to look, not sure if the settings will stay. But I picked Burly under family and strong to very strong on taste.

• Love
Reactions: RobNYC

dog_park_piper

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2021
The Woodlands, TX
Which blend?
Good question. I should have said them before.

Two Timer.
Everything I smoke for the most part is about 50% Two Timer. It's clean and tasty.

3 Sails.
I have a lot of this and I just smoke it without blending it. The way it's cut would make it difficult to blend with anything else in large amounts. It is so easy to pack, smoke, and keep lit. The taste is mellow but present. It's the only Virginia I really like smoking.

Windsail platinum
This is very mellow. It's light golden colored. If 3 Sails were black tea, windsail platinum would be green tea. It's good.

dog_park_piper

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2021
The Woodlands, TX
Which blend?
Good question. I should have said them before.

Two Timer.
Everything I smoke for the most part is about 50% Two Timer. It's clean and tasty.

3 Sails.
I have a lot of this and I just smoke it without blending it. The way it's cut would make it difficult to blend with anything else in large amounts. It is so easy to pack, smoke, and keep lit. The taste is mellow but present. It's the only Virginia I really like smoking.

Windsail platinum
This is very mellow. It's light golden colored. If 3 Sails were black tea, windsail platinum would be green tea. It's good.
And their price point is unbeatable