PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I haven't mastered fold and stuff, but I will. Main thing with flakes, coin, plug, rope, is to take your time. If you need quick results, prep the tobacco in advance or go to a loose cut blend. But flake and the other solid cuts are really good smokes once you get a routine you like.

ryeguy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2017
I break the flake in half (longways, with the grain, size depends on the bowl of course; most of my bowls are small so a half flake is about right), I fold the flake in half (end to end), then twist it as push it in (folded end first). Then tamp it down (pretty hard) and top up as needed with some rubbed out, or if it is sticking out I just twist it off the excess and tamp again. I don't have much trouble.
I think it is important not to try to fit too big a flake in, it expands as you twist, tamp, and burn.

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
In my experience, there are a few flakes that loose something if dried out. I recently picked up some Fribourgh & Treyer Special Brown Flake that fit this description. Smoked straight from the tin it is wonderful, but dried for a few hours and it lost the magic.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I'll pop a tin and let it sit open for a week. The flakes will still need drying. Always remember: less is not more. More is n't even more. Even more is more, but you need more still. Dry those flakes more more more.

kylef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2018
Cape Ann, MA USA
I tried the fold and stuff once with my first flake, but it did not go well. Then I had good luck with just rubbing them out, and I never tried fold and stuff again. Maybe I'll give it another shot.

Jan 8, 2013
and I never tried fold and stuff again. Maybe I'll give it another shot.
It's certainly well worth trying again, in my opinion. The flavor you get from a folded flake as opposed to rubbed out, is so much better.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
I’m giving folding and stuffing another go on Scottish Flake at the moment. Let it dry quite a bit beforehand. So far so good. A few delights but very tasty.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I’m in the same boat as many, I tried to fold and stuff and basically wasted a fair bit of tasty flake. Couldn’t get it lit, couldn’t get it to stay lit. You all have inspired me to give it another go. The flavor is supposed to be divine. Maybe the (lack of) drying time was part of the problem.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
If for some reason your pipe is too full when you check the draw before lighting. You should run a pipe cleaner through it and it can loosen it up so it is perfect to light up. During a smoke if my draw gets a tad tight, I will use a pipe cleaner to loosed it up. Pipe cleaners are your friend when folding and stuffing.

Status
Not open for further replies.