PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldguyoldpipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2019
I am really liking flake tobaccos recently, but am I correct that flake tobaccos are usually higher in nicotine?
I would prefer low-nicotine tobacco and have heard that, in general, the higher the sugar content=lower nicotine?
I tend to like Latakia blends, but often find the Virginia's a bit too grassy and sour.
Any recommendations for low-nicotine, but flavorful pipe tobacco?

Reactions: chopper

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
I would try Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Navy Flake. This stuff is great with a bit of age on it and seems to fit your profile.

Reactions: chopper

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
The nicotine content of burley vs Virginia leaves is actually quite similar. It's the sugar content that can negate nicotine absorption and uptake, so frequently we feel the nicotine more from burleys.

Flakes contain the same leaves as ribbon cut blends, they're just compressed. Any given pipe has a bowl volume, that is, it can only hold so much content. Whether it's ribbon cut or compressed (then rubbed out), id think the volume (thus nicotine content) remains the same.

Reactions: rushx9

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Pure surmise, but since flake cut seems to retain flavors intact longer, I suspect it may do the same with nicotine. Mostly I have found that OTC/codger blends, other than Five Brothers, and especially aromatics, seem fairly low in nic, at least in general.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
I am really liking flake tobaccos recently, but am I correct that flake tobaccos are usually higher in nicotine?
I would prefer low-nicotine tobacco and have heard that, in general, the higher the sugar content=lower nicotine?
I tend to like Latakia blends, but often find the Virginia's a bit too grassy and sour.
Any recommendations for low-nicotine, but flavorful pipe tobacco?
After 35 years of heavy addiction to cigarettes, I picked up a pipe to ditch them.
For that reason I only choose blends that have mild or lower levels of nicotine.

Have you tried a VaPer? [Virginia + Perique] Perique does a really good job of 'balancing' out Virginia, so it's worth trying.

My favourite is Formers Birds Eye Flake. Mild with little nicotine. It's a Virginia with a touch of perique.
Orlik Golden Sliced is a close 2nd. Another VaPer which is also light on Perique. Mild with mild nicotine.

Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake. Yes another VaPer. This one is mild to medium.
Our peerless tobacco savant, JimInks, says "The nic-hit is just past the mild level." Which is interesting because there's enough nicotine for me to notice it.

Something you might like to try; I like to rub out a flake of PSLNF, then mix in 20% of a mild English blend. Very tasty.

According to a page on FairTradeTobacco forum, Burley has the highest amount of nicotine.
Virginias have around a 3rd of the amount compared to Burley.
Orientals have the least.

Some processing techniques lower the nicotine.

How much nicotine is absorbed has a lot to do with Ph levels. I don't fully understand it but the nic level can be lowered by blending in different varieties with different Ph levels or by using citric acid if the tobacco is alkaline.

oldguyoldpipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2019
I would try Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Navy Flake. This stuff is great with a bit of age on it and seems to fit your profile.

I recently received some with a pipe purchase. I enjoyed it, but felt the nic hit with it. Actually, my trying it led me to posting the question.

oldguyoldpipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2019
Flakes have no more nicotine than other cuts. I Have numerous mild flakes in my cellar that are great morning smokes, If you would like some suggestions let me know.
Yes, if you could send the information I would be appreciative for the suggestions.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Yes, if you could send the information I would be appreciative for the suggestions.
Capstan Blue and Gold Flakes
Peterson Flake
Wessex Gold Virginia Flake and Gold Slice
Samuel Gawtih Golden Glow\
If you can get lucky grab a tin of Rotary NAvy Cut and Brigham Klondike Gold both are discontinued but they show up one in a while.
Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky sounds strong but isn't. It has a ton of flavor and it ages incredibly well.

Reactions: oldguyoldpipes
Status
Not open for further replies.