PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

boulders1489

Lurker
Feb 29, 2024
I get too hot when I do that, and I know it's because there is too much free flowing air? I realize cadence, but I'm thinking I'm doing something on the packing side. Are there any tips here to help dis noob with your technique?

Reactions: seanv

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Cube cutting a flake and folding and stuffing a flake get you to roughly the same place: smoking the tobacco in its compressed form. Rubbing a flake out effectively decompresses the flake into something akin to a ready rubbed (if you want some pieces still compressed) or a ribbon cut.

F&Sing properly takes some trial and error to get it right, but once you do, it’s a quick and easy way to pack flake tobacco. There are lots of videos available that demonstrate that way better than I could describe it here.

Cube cutting takes more prep, obviously, but is very easy to pack. I find it easiest to cut the flakes when they’re still moist, but you should dry it after cutting so it’s a bit crispy. Then just gravity feed the pipe and give it a light tamp down with your finger or tamper. When in doubt, pack lighter than you think is necessary.

I prefer smoking flakes either F&S or CC, as I find it to smoke slower and cooler. But that’s just my preference for myself, and you may find it better to fully rub out a flake. Just keep experimenting until you find what works best for you.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Take my input with a grain of salt….
I’ve found that if I fold ‘n stuff, or cube cut I tend to draw too hard trying to overdo keeping the bowl going. This runs me hot and I lose flavor.

Lately I’ve been twisting flakes a bit to loosen, then chopping across the grain at about 1/4”. These get dumped into an herb grinder and pulse processed.
Loaded into the bowl snugly yet not too packed, this has given me great smokes. Works with ropes too.

Blasphemous sacrilege I know, but the only person that’s gotta like it is me😉

Example of what I’m carrying today:
IMG_0010.jpeg

LongIslandPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 8, 2022
I’ve found that if I fold ‘n stuff, or cube cut I tend to draw too hard trying to overdo keeping the bowl going. This runs me hot and I lose flavor.

Lately I’ve been twisting flakes a bit to loosen, then chopping across the grain at about 1/4”. These get dumped into an herb grinder and pulse processed.
Loaded into the bowl snugly yet not too packed, this has given me great smokes. Works with ropes too.

View attachment 299113
I have to start saving tins for traveling

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Loaded into the bowl snugly yet not too packed, this has given me great smokes.
This was the above pictured Irish Flake packed to the top of rim, hit with one good charring light (flame above tobacco, drawn to it until tobacco combusted into flame), and touched with nothing but a golf tee until done.
YMMV
IMG_0012.jpeg

Sethology12

Might Stick Around
Jan 27, 2023
Richmond, Va

View attachment 299113
I'm the same way. Never been able to master smoking a tobacco anyway but rubbed out. It's hard enough at times to keep my pipe consistently lit just smoking a RR preparation. Folding and stuffing, cube cutting? I don't even bother lol but props to those who can manage it. I'm sure the depth of flavor is much improved

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I have had success with fold and stuff but it varies from flake to flake and which pipe I am putting them in. So I will usually use a small food processor and then dry a little as @Sobrbiker suggests. Seem to get good flavour and can control heat with tamping and cadence.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
I cube cut mine 1/8" max and find it almost smokes itself and still gives me better flavor than rubbing out. Loading is a no brainer too, just pour it in the bowl and give the pipe a couple light taps to settle it a bit.

Reactions: OzPiper and seanv

StuporSpoopy

Lurker
Mar 2, 2024
Wittmann, Arizona, USA
I tend to rely on the fold n' stuff but occasionally will opt to rub them out. Have had some interesting experiences doing a hybrid of the two (making use of some leftover rubbed-out strands and an odd-sized bit of flake). Can't say for sure if it made much difference as opposed to one or the other but the smoke was very enjoyable either way and that's what matters the most

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Different flakes work better with different methods of preparation.

I usually fold and stuff but will also rub the flakes out to varying degrees depending on how I'm feeling.

Do what works for you.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Ok,

So I just smoked 2 VA bowls back to back. I had some Capstan Navy Flake and I rubbed some out and then basically cubed some from the flakes. Much preferred the cubes to the flaked. Am I strange, or is there maybe a reason to this? It was crazy different.

Curious,
Eric
Flakes are just a cost cutting method by manufacturers. Just smoke it how you enjoy it.

Auxsender

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
Ok,

So I just smoked 2 VA bowls back to back. I had some Capstan Navy Flake and I rubbed some out and then basically cubed some from the flakes. Much preferred the cubes to the flaked. Am I strange, or is there maybe a reason to this? It was crazy different.

Curious,
Eric
I’m confused here.
Were both bowls both cubed and rubbed or was one cubed and the other rubbed?

Either way, to answer you as many knowledgeable smokers have already, every single detail makes a difference. From the baccy itself to the cut of the baccy to the way you process it or not before packing to the packing itself to the shape and material of the bowl to the length of the stem. Even the ambient temperature and humidity influences your perception of the smoke and I haven’t even dove into the smoker and what their cadence and depth of draw is.
It all matters.

hoipolloiglasgow

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2023
United States
I prefer to break some down finely, them have larger flakes of it mixed in with it. It smokes/burns really well that way and it's the best of both worlds. Also, it's easier to pack. I like to have semi broken down at the very bottom so it won't pull through and bigger flakes in the middle. Then top is just mixed really well. Nothing too complicated. I say don't over complicate things as every pipe smoker seems to have their own way of preparation and smoking style. Do what works the best for you. I'll add though, the larger the flakes are, for example fold-and-stuff, the longer the smoke will be and harder it will be to keep lit.

Reactions: Uguccione