12 Fresh BriarWorks Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I had that problem when I first tried flakes. I've gone to a wider bowl and it seemed to help. I also make sure I have the open portion of the fold toward the airway. I smoke mostly ribbon cut so haven't quite perfected flakes just yet.
If that helped, it means you were packing the narrower bowls too tight. There's no rule that says an entire flake has to fit into a bowl. Some flakes are too wide or thick to fit into a 0.75" diameter bowl. Tear a bit of the flake length wise,then told and stuff. If you end up not going a bowl completely to your satisfaction, take some loose tobacco and fill in.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
You can try folding and stuffing the pipe the night before and should be about perfect when it's time to smoke the next day. If it seems too dry blow one slow steady breath through the top of the bowl to slightly moisten the top layer and blowing out any bits that would otw go in your throat upon first draw ....

Keep at it and your find your preferences...also, you don't have to fold and stuff...you know! Still plenty enjoyable when you rub one out!?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I fold and stuff all my flakes and rarely have to dry any( Samuel Gawith always needs drying time). I never light the bowl without first checking the draw. I want a tad of resistance not too loose or too tight. If it is too tight I will run a pipe cleaner into the bowl and that almost always loosens it up and the bowl is ready to light. If it is too loose I will press down enough to get the resistance I am looking for and sometimes I will need to add more tobacco.

Invariably my pipe will go out maybe around half way or so and then I use the pick end of a tamper to loosen the ash and tilt the bowl gently to get rid of it. I then scrape the sides of the pipe and tamp lightly. I check the draw first and then light it up. I always check the draw before lighting my pipe no matter how far along I may be.

reloader

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Southern, NM
If that helped, it means you were packing the narrower bowls too tight. There's no rule that says an entire flake has to fit into a bowl. Some flakes are too wide or thick to fit into a 0.75" diameter bowl. Tear a bit of the flake length wise,then told and stuff. If you end up not going a bowl completely to your satisfaction, take some loose tobacco and fill in.
I believe you are correct sir. Thanks for the tip. I will try that with the flakes I have left.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I fold and stuff all my flakes and rarely have to dry any( Samuel Gawith always needs drying time). I never light the bowl without first checking the draw. I want a tad of resistance not too loose or too tight. If it is too tight I will run a pipe cleaner into the bowl and that almost always loosens it up and the bowl is ready to light. If it is too loose I will press down enough to get the resistance I am looking for and sometimes I will need to add more tobacco.

Invariably my pipe will go out maybe around half way or so and then I use the pick end of a tamper to loosen the ash and tilt the bowl gently to get rid of it. I then scrape the sides of the pipe and tamp lightly. I check the draw first and then light it up. I always check the draw before lighting my pipe no matter how far along I may be.
Good advice

Reactions: Akoni808

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
In addition to folding and stuffing flakes, I try to stuff almost any tobacco that hasn't already been rubbed out. This includes coins, which I roll, and broken flakes which I compress slightly and stuff lengthwise. The key to success is pretty much the same: dry appropriately, make sure the wad can slide in and out of the chamber easily to allow for expansion, fray the top and/or add kindling. Tamp lightly just to create a flat surface for lighting. Smoke gently. Enjoy!

Reactions: seanv and Akoni808

Akoni808

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 17, 2022
O’ahu, Hawai’i
In addition to folding and stuffing flakes, I try to stuff almost any tobacco that hasn't already been rubbed out. This includes coins, which I roll, and broken flakes which I compress slightly and stuff lengthwise. The key to success is pretty much the same: dry appropriately, make sure the wad can slide in and out of the chamber easily to allow for expansion, fray the top and/or add kindling. Tamp lightly just to create a flat surface for lighting. Smoke gently. Enjoy!
With the coins, do you end up rolling and stuffing multiple coins separately? Or do you roll them together?

Reactions: dunnyboy

Latakia Dave

Lifer
Mar 4, 2021
Shenandoah Vally Virginia
I fold and stuff coins and most flakes. I found that I have the best results with fold and stuff flake , if after folding, I give it a good twist before stuffing in the chamber. Seems to make it light easier and burn through consistently.
This works for me, but as always , might not work for everyone.

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
With the coins, do you end up rolling and stuffing multiple coins separately? Or do you roll them together?
I roll two or more coins together depending on thickness, making sure the lozenge will slide easily in and out of the chamber. I try to find a bowl with the right depth so the rolled coins come just below the rim but make up any shortfall with loose tobacco.

Israel12

Lurker
Nov 28, 2020
I tend to never have any luck using the fold and stuff method with flakes. It tends to get lit fairly easy, but then mid-way through the bowl it becomes very hard to light and the remainder of the bowl becomes almost as solid as a rock. Does anyone have any tips for this method?
Just like with vaping, once you have a working device, its not your problem from then on.
Same with pipe, its about what you put inside.
I havent tried all the tobaccos out there. You need to try all of them.
For loose theres no lesson, you just put in.
For flake/coin, cube cut.
Thats all.

Akoni808

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 17, 2022
O’ahu, Hawai’i
Just like with vaping, once you have a working device, its not your problem from then on.
Same with pipe, its about what you put inside.
I havent tried all the tobaccos out there. You need to try all of them.
For loose theres no lesson, you just put in.
For flake/coin, cube cut.
Thats all.
Not quite picking up what you’re throwing down. Thanks for the feedback though.