PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Five Brothers lived up to its reputation of giving a definitive tobacco experience

in a short period of time. Five Brothers is dry in the pouch, as reported, and

tends to adhere to itself so you have to pull it apart to get a pinch to separate.

It lights easily, stays lit, smokes a little hot, and delivers a distinct shot of

nicotine; the nicotine reminded me of Nightcap, though this is a much simpler

blend. This would be a great smoke break to take outdoors at a social event

when you want a pipe but have limited time. I smoked this in Jerry Perry bent

brandy, approximately Dunhill group 3, just right for sampling. I'll likely stick

with a smaller pipe on this pouch of tobacco, but others may opt for a bigger

bowl, in which case I'd recommend it for just before bed. I received this pouch

of Five Brothers as a free sample, but I can easily see buying it again as an

occasional smoke or in rotation. It's not complex but is straightforward.

appointed

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2013
I ordered a pouch some time ago since mikephillips always goes on about it, and I have to say that I was a little skeptical when I opened the pouch. It was dry and I wasn't entirely sure it was even pipe tobacco. I went ahead and fired up a bowl and it was good. It burned really fast, about ten minutes in a normally forty-five minute to an hour bowl. Surprised me there, but it was a straightforward blend that I did like. Now, it's not a go-to tobacco, but I do enjoy it occasionally, but I usually prefer to blend it with another burley blend. Strangely, I did not seem to notice much of a nic hit.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
I've been working on my "free promotional pouch" of Five Bros from STG that arrived a few weeks ago. Methinks it's a dual-purpose baccy, due to the fine shag cut. It burns really fast in the pipe and does have some N factor - nothing that will send you to the floor or gasping for water, but it's there. Still, I can only handle about a Group 2 bowl ( smallish ) but that's me.

I've also ****gasp**** rolled it up as a cigarette and it makes a damn fine one. Just an observation there, not encouraging anyone .....

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
mike, absolutely better in a pipe. Just not in a cob, I almost caught mine on fire. I tend to puff pretty hearty on a pipe on the first light, and a cob without the filter goes "whoosh".
It's very good very well made baccy otherwise. Sort of reminds me of the Eastern European cigs we smoked in High School in the late 80s / early 90s which IIRC were 100% baccy, lot edgier than the "smuggled" American ones which tasted "stuffy".

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
have you ever tried to pack a pipe tight enough with Five Brothers to get a longer smoke?
Yes. BAD idea!!!! It's not tongue bite that occurs from that, it's plain tongue burn. Any time the baccy burns too hot, that will happen. Bite is a chemical reaction to certain types of baccy. Sometimes Perique and oftentimes Red Virginia cause me tongue bite no matter what pipe I smoke them out of ( even a Pete System with P-Lip ) or how cool and slow I smoke them. I've yet to try a filtered pipe for these types of tobacco and see what it does.

Status
Not open for further replies.