PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PApiper63

Lurker
Apr 13, 2024
I bought a pouch of five brothers tobacco a couple months ago and smoked a bowl and did not particularly enjoy it. The taste was fine, but it burnt fast and the nicotine hit was a little much for me. Since I didn't pay that much for it, I decided that the pouch will probably go unsmoked. Last week I decided to mix some of it in with Lane 1q. I like 1q and smoke it as part of my rotation but I've always thought it could use some zip. The mixture of the two is perfect for me. I'm wondering if any of you have ever mixed five brothers with another tobacco. The mix of a shag cut in a ribbon cut is a bit challenging, but worth it.

RookieGuy80

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
I've used it to punch up various cherry blends that Mrs. Rookie loves the room note of. My thought is if I'm smoking cherry flavored tobacco (which carries a taste very similar to childhood medicine), I'm going to at least get some vitamin N from it. Shag cut mixed with ribbon can be challenging to work with your first few times. But the secret is to throughly mix it. When you think you're done, go another 5 minutes. A huge benefit is Five Bros is so dry, it'll take the goop out of the wettest aromatics.

But before writing the blend off completely as a stand alone blend, try rehydrating it in the pipe. Pack it in, loosely cover the bowl with your palm, and exhale a couple minutes through the pipe before lighting it. It'll still be a strong but it'll tame some of the rougher edges. At least that's been my experience.

BCF

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 23, 2022
Pennsylvania
One too many beers led me to mix Kendal #7 and Five Brothers. A hair curler, but went well with the beer and pitching horseshoes.

Reactions: vosBghos

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
@pipestud Swears by 5 Bros and Royal Yacht, I forget the ratio. I have tried that and a mix with Capstan Blue and find them both enjoyable. Beware the Nic though especially with the Yacht.

Reactions: RookieGuy80

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
The longer I smoke, the more I like it-on its own and as a “booster”.
But I’m a nic junky, and partially inhale almost everything I smoke.

It amazes my that I can smoke 5Bros straight, but I’m not big fan of most of the “burley blend” genre.
But junkies are weird….
It makes great kindling for folded ABF or any folded flake really.

Brownherb86

Lurker
Jun 1, 2024
I bought a pouch of five brothers tobacco a couple months ago and smoked a bowl and did not particularly enjoy it. The taste was fine, but it burnt fast and the nicotine hit was a little much for me. Since I didn't pay that much for it, I decided that the pouch will probably go unsmoked. Last week I decided to mix some of it in with Lane 1q. I like 1q and smoke it as part of my rotation but I've always thought it could use some zip. The mixture of the two is perfect for me. I'm wondering if any of you have ever mixed five brothers with another tobacco. The mix of a shag cut in a ribbon cut is a bit challenging, but worth it.
What ratio do you use? I’m about to do this exact thing and was wondering how much five bros to add