PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

InWithBothFeet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2024
Richmond, KY
I never could stand watching a bobber. I liked crank baits so there was some casting and retrieving activity on my end and when they hit, they hit. No wondering if that was a bite or just bobbing in the wind. The most fun I had was with ultralight gear in creeks. Never took anything home, just catch the little tykes and toss them back.

SmokingInTheWind

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2024
New Mexico
My father in law introduced me to fly fishing and fly tying. We had some great times. When he passed away I drifted away from it. I hadn’t fished in about ten years. My wife and I moved to New Mexico a year ago. Fortunately our neighbor across the street is a hardcore fly fisherman. He encouraged me to dig out my gear and go to the San Juan river with him. I was a little rusty, but I saw some big browns and rainbows landed by my neighbor and other fishermen. Let’s just say I’m back at it.

Last edited:

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
interesting discussion.
I am a long time fly fisher. In an analogy with pipe smoking, to summarize the comparison of the two. My first pipe efforts were a five buck medico with a cheap full on aromatic that rendered me unable to form words for days after puffing up an inferno. The same with fishing. the first endeavour with the equivalent of a popeil pocket fisherman rod, a float at the end the size of a melon, one foot leader and a fly that resembled a feather duster. When cast and hit the water, the wake went for miles. The cast resulted in spooking the fish in the spot, away for a week.
Times changed over time. I now am a pretty good angler with fine equipment and I now have great times and yes, my formulative years as a pipester now have me enjoying a pipe whilst fishing, now reward me with a great experience.
I've developed a preference to fly rods as well (though most of my fishing these days is trolling for salmon). I even printed/have a 3d printed fly reel designed by a Vancouver BC guy. 🎣
IMG_1059.jpg

Flatfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
me too. I always seem to catch the worst fish. But still good at catching crayfish so I guess I might not starve.
For me its not just that I'm not particularly good at fishing. In fact since buying a rod, the only living thing I've had on the hook is the Police and Crime Commissioner whom I accidently snagged on the beach.

Unless I catch a battered cod fillet or some breaded scampi, I'm not really interested.
Some smoked Haddock would also be acceptable.
None of the above are easily caught on a rod and line though.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Now that I’ve moved from Colorado, I guess I should change my name.
I spend lots of time trying to learn bass fishing from a kayak.
View attachment 319354View attachment 319355
My oldest is still in CO and he likes to go to Marble and fly fish on Beaver Lake and maybe the Crystal river, I recall as generally your old area. It's a newer experience for him but he's enjoying it - and he brings them home and eats them most times.

LingerMore

Lurker
Jun 1, 2024
Lafayette, CO
I just returned from the Northwoods of WI. Visiting a friend from college. Spent a few hours each day throwing flies at bluegill, rock bass, largemouth, and small mouth bass. Love catching bluegills just as much as the bass, so much fun on a fly rod. I always tell myself I need to do that more. Mostly chase trout in the rivers here in CO.

Tight lines and full bowls friends.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
My oldest is still in CO and he likes to go to Marble and fly fish on Beaver Lake and maybe the Crystal river, I recall as generally your old area. It's a newer experience for him but he's enjoying it - and he brings them home and eats them most times.
That is my old stomping grounds. I fished the upper Crystal some but mostly small fish so a 3wt. cane rod is just perfect. The Frying Pan was what I would call home water but it’s getting so crowded now and too many guides to really enjoy below the lake.IMG_3180.jpeg