PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Cracklin' Tobaccy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 3, 2024
Slaughterville, Oklahoma
I find pipe smoking to be quite a bit like fishing. Fishing is different things to any given person. Some people fish to catch fish. Others fish because they just enjoy fishing. There are always new gadgets, equipment, techniques and materials being refined and developed. There are also tried and true 'old reliables' that are proven and timeless.
I used to fish on my Granddad's ponds as a boy. I had my Zebco rod and reel and a tacklebox with all the necessaries and various lures and such. Going to Otasco and perusing the fishing aisle was a weekly quest that usually ended with me dropping a buck on the latest spinner or plug. But the very first lure I had was a red and white spoon that scored my first 5 pound Largemouth Bass.
I would fool around for some time casting spinners for perch and maybe throw out a bobber and relax but when I wanted to pull in a fighter that red and white spoon was the done deal. I fished with that spoon until most of the enamel wore off and eventually lost it to a snapped line. I caught plenty with most lures I had but that spoon.......
People like to fish ponds, rivers, creeks, lakes and oceans. Some stay home to fish while others travel the world. People fish for bass, crappie, catfish, salmon, cod, shark, octopus..... The various equipment and methods used in fishing are countless. But it is all fishing and folks love it.
My pipe smoking is like an old reliable pond. I know where the fish are and how to catch them. Once in a while a friend will bring something new to try that may or may not work. Sometimes a snake will swim by. My favorite pipe and tobacco are much like that old scratched up spoon. Old reliable gets it done every time.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
A friend of mine owned a plot on the Platte River in Nebraska that had immediately adjacent to the river a ten-acre lake that had bass, crappie, bluegill, etc. Fished that lake more times than I can remember. Caught a lot of fish there. We a strict catch-and-release policy. Those were the good old days.

InWithBothFeet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2024
Richmond, KY
Zebco used to be the Zero Hour Bomb Company. I had a Zebco reel as a youngster, but caught my first fish on a cane-pole.

My guess is that the red and white lure was a Dardevle manufactured by Eppinger:
View attachment 318025
This is a tried-and-true lure which can be found in almost any fisherman's tackle-box.
I had a Zebco 33 as a kid. My dad had those open face spinner reels that I couldn't get the hang of till I was a little older.

A story I heard about the inventor of that lure was that he was a very very religious man and he was so afraid of the devil that he didn't even want to write the word "devil", so he intentionally misspelled it so he didn't have to. True? I dunno, but that's what I read.

InWithBothFeet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2024
Richmond, KY
Despite coming from a family with an interest in fishing and picking cockles. I think if my survival depended on fishing, I would have starved to death many years ago.
I completely understand that. I'm one of those that gets bored quickly if I'm not catching. A buddy of mine and I went night trout fishing. He was in one end of the boat reeling them in and I was sitting there with a sour look on my face. Same bait, same place, I just didn't have the feel for it. They'd nibble the bait off the hook like corn off a cob and I would never know it.

jagsdriver

Lurker
Jun 13, 2024
Vancouver Island BC
interesting discussion.
I am a long time fly fisher. In an analogy with pipe smoking, to summarize the comparison of the two. My first pipe efforts were a five buck medico with a cheap full on aromatic that rendered me unable to form words for days after puffing up an inferno. The same with fishing. the first endeavour with the equivalent of a popeil pocket fisherman rod, a float at the end the size of a melon, one foot leader and a fly that resembled a feather duster. When cast and hit the water, the wake went for miles. The cast resulted in spooking the fish in the spot, away for a week.
Times changed over time. I now am a pretty good angler with fine equipment and I now have great times and yes, my formulative years as a pipester now have me enjoying a pipe whilst fishing, now reward me with a great experience.

SmokingInTheWind

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2024
New Mexico
Zebco used to be the Zero Hour Bomb Company. I had a Zebco reel as a youngster, but caught my first fish on a cane-pole.

My guess is that the red and white lure was a Dardevle manufactured by Eppinger:
View attachment 318025
This is a tried-and-true lure which can be found in almost any fisherman's tackle-box.

I remember catching fish with my Zebco 202, Daredevles, Hula-Poppers, Jitterbugs, and Mepps Spinners. Oh, almost forgot, Johnson’s weedless minnows with a pork rind tail added.

Of course, worms too.

Last edited:

badbriar

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
I fish often at the North Venice Jetties, usually for snook, but every once in a while, a surprise turns up. Back when she was 8 or 9, my daughter hooked a nice one - turned out to be a small shark. Next cast was the same. For the next 20 years, she's still a true fishing enthusiast! (Ahem...still usually out fishes her old man!)

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA

View attachment 318025
That thing works like a charm when blue fishes are running here in NC. My father used to love fishing. As he aged, he was more into golf. Neither of 'em were my passion, but fishing was better. Some beer and some good tobacco out on a pier on a mildly breezy, cloudy day is my kind fun. Less fish, the better.

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania

Spinners and poppers and spoons oh my! Reading this thread and looking at my tackle box has me wondering if I'm the only believer in live bait here. Worms catch bait, bait catches dinner in my house.
I like nightcrawlers and grass hoppers, though I’m still fond of my lures, I feel like many of the common and popular lures are played out in these overfished Pennsylvania reservoirs of which there were many constructed in the 70’s. The fish have seen it all and have become weary of the artificial stuff. I once heard that lures lure fishermen into buying more of them, mainly. I can attest. I like them from an artistic sense, how they look , and the antique wood ones are cool too. But live bait if you’re about results.