PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshremy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 11, 2012
Through various concerns, thoughts, and reasonings, I have settled on a little brylon bent Yellobole as my fishing pipe because I've been worried about the scent and taste of the bait getting from my fingers into my pipes. As we know, some of the catfish baits can get pretty darn 'pleasant'.
I prefer a Briar pipe, but have this brylon designated as my "fishing pipe" because of this concern.

I figure the yellobole brylon is less porous so less absorption of unwanted scent and flavor and easier to clean, tho at cost of some smoking pleasure. Not to mention it doesnt cost too much to replace should it go bad or drop on the rocks. (though it might be a bit more sturdy as well)
Am I the only one that has this concern?

Or is this something I really dont need to worry about?

Maybe I baby my pipes too much. :wink:

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
I don't really fish too much, but I imagine that any scents and tastes would have a hell of a time getting through the outside of the bowl into the tobacco. As for getting into the bowl itself, well, you're gonna have the same problem no matter the material. But like I said, I don't really fish.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
Josh, have you considered the (semi-disposable and always vernerable) cob as a fishing pipe? I only suggest this as I've never heard anything good about brylon in terms of smoking quality; and yet cobs are cheap enough that should one pick up the funk of your bait it isn't a big deal to toss it.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
I fish some... And as an uneducated (I was told this recently) individual, I wash my hands often. Believe

it or not, you can actually take soap in the boat with you. It comes in a little squirt bottle, you just

push on the top and the soap comes out the little spout on the side.
CRAP!

lostandfound

Sep 30, 2011
Believe

it or not, you can actually take soap in the boat with you. It comes in a little squirt bottle, you just

push on the top and the soap comes out the little spout on the side.

+1

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
I once had a Brylon pipe, smoked it once and threw it away... Something about it feeling like plastic and burned hot.
I agree with the others, a cob is the way to go.

fshu2

Can't Leave
Jan 22, 2011
i fish a lot and run a cob because if it smokes nasty after a while give it a toss. no big loss.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I'd also say go for a cob because it's all too easy to drop the pipe in the water or some place so foul and dirty that you wouldn't want to smoke out of it again, lol.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I don't like the idea of a plastic pipe, once it gets warm, I would think the plastic would start off gassing, and as I am putting that smoke in my mouth I think I'll avoid plastic bowls.

seanz

May 8, 2011
Southland NZ
I surfcast a lot and have not worried about it too much. I just smoke what ever pipe I pack, that being said I dont take my babies fishing as I have lost a nice clay from the rocks.

One thing I have found is fish dont like tobacco smells on the bait. seems to turn them off for some reason. So i always wash me paws before baiting up.

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
Josh,
I agree with the cob being a best choice. I lost one of my favorite pipes a 1960's bent bulldog Brigham when my tackle box was stolen from my boat. The thought of losing a good briar over the side, or dropping in in the boat is enough to keep my Briars at home safe and sound. Ironically I find a cigar is a better choice when your fishing anyway since it seems my Cohibas keep the mosquitos away better.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I bass fish as much as I can. Cat fish baits can be stinky stuff. Ever think of bringing a pair of surgical gloves?
Any hoo, I have a Dr. Grabow free hand that I can pack the night before fishing. I put a wind cap on it and bring a bic lighter. I am set for the day with that pipe fully packed. I just got my first cob recently and love it. I will get a few more at $4 a piece it is worth it. Probably will bring the Dr. if it is rainy as cobs might not fair well getting wet? Other than that I use to smoke those back woods cigars when fishing. They are mighty enjoyable in my opinion. If it gets messed up just toss it and start over with a new one.
Funny Seanz I use to put tobacco on my hands before fishing every time and found my hook ups increased. So much so my buddies would ask what my secret was! Though I was fishing fresh water. Maybe that makes a difference?

triprolo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2009
TN
I fish a lot and I would highly recommend going with a cob. Inexpensive and just a great pipe to smoke with. I usually have a couple with me in case something happens to one, like dropping it in the water. Yup it happens!

joshremy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 11, 2012
haha, fishing vs. catching. nice...
I rarely use catfish bait because of the smell, but it makes a good basis for the concern. I'm more worried about the smell getting into the pipe and then I have a smelly pipe. I would think a cob would instantly soak it in.
My primary bait is live minnows as given the right rig, there is more technique involved than simply wait and catch.
But even then with as much handling to get the minnow and hook it, it gets on the hands... and then the pipe.
I do use hand sanitizer, but even then I can still smell fishy smells on my hands. I might just have an over sensitive nose.
I might try a cheaper briar seeing as how I have some "extras" and if it starts to get a little funky, then I might go with the cob.
Though, overall, it seems there isnt a whole lot of concern over this issue, and maybe I am just being too paranoid.
Thanks!!

mangers

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 11, 2012
I fish for Catfish a lot, and yes the bait can get stinky, especially my home made junk. I smoke nothing but cobs while fishing. Surgical gloves? I would be laughed off the lake!! Soap? Some of the bait I use stays with my hands for a few days, soap just masks the smell.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Laugh if you like but my uncle made this stink bait and the smell stuck to your hand for days. No matter how much you washed your hands. I stunk for three days when i laughed at him and his gloves. He kept some surgical gloves just for when you bait the hook. He was a neat-nic now that I am thinking about it, but I was the guy who's hands smelled like crap! 8O

Status
Not open for further replies.