PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitemair13

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2018
North Carolina
Man is this place tucked away in downtown Raleigh. You blink and you'll drive past it but an amazing place once you get in there. Walls full of pipes, shelves full of tobacco and the two guys running it were just as nice and welcoming. I ended up getting an unfinished Sav that will color as I use it, which I thought was awesome,and a Hardcastle Bulldog which may be my new favorite pipe ever. Along with a few ounces of new tobacco to try.
The best thing about this place was George and his associate (I believe his name was Sam? I'm horrible with names) George knows pipe tobacco in and out and he has jars of the individual types and had me smell them. Now I know what I'm actually smelling in some of the blends. I want to go back one day and just sit down and smoke a pipe there. Listen to them and absorb their pipe knowledge. If I lived closer I'd give them all my business.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
George does have a decent selection of pipes but his tobacco selection is nothing to shout about. He also has a decent but small walk in humidor for cigars. The OP is 100% correct in that you have to pay attention, even when you know where it is, or you'll drive right by his place. George is a great guy as is his assistant Chris. There is another gentleman that works in there who is also a good guy but I've only met him once and forgot his name. Well worth your time to visit and have a smoke at if you're in the Raleigh area. Pretty much the only game in town for pipe related products.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
This is my local tobacconist. George is a great guy and does have a large selection of pipes. He's always helpful and willing to work with you to find what you want. The tobacco selection is a little light but I have always found something I could walk out with. It can be a tad difficult to locate if you don't know where you're going, but well worth a stop in.
Glad you got in and found something. Always good to hear someone supporting the B&M's, and at George's, you just couldn't be helping a nicer guy.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've been shopping there since the 1970's. I probably have six or eight pipes from him going back to the beginning. Last blend bought there is Haddo's. Great atmosphere and kind and knowledgable proprietor.

nitemair13

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2018
North Carolina
Chris! That was his name, thank you Hoosier. IDK where I got Sam from.
Anyways, the tobacco selection was impressive to me because my local B&M over in Wilson is mostly a cigar store with a small shelf for pipe tobacco tins, so to see the individual jars with just straight Virginia or English and get to smell them individually was a cool experience for a newbie like myself. I imagine he only stocks what he knows will sell now that the internet stores have opened up with such wider selections. He has the pipes though, every shape and size you can think of.
Now that I know where he is I'll be sure to stop back in there next time I get the itch for a new pipe, or if I'm in Raleigh and need to kill some time I can just stop in and enjoy a bowl.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I love it that he is in a row with a bicycle shop, a tattoo parlor, and a Chinese restaurant. The area has recently been gentrified with up-market apartments and condos, but so far I think that has increased the shop's business if rents don't go way up. The disclaimer about smoking inside is on the front door in pencil. It's just over all cool.

cam9

Lurker
May 1, 2017
I'm a newbie pipe smoker in the Raleigh area, I've been to Georges about 3 times.
I always felt comfortable and not "oversold" or pressured into buying anything more than a new pipe smoker should get. I feel the advice was helpful and felt welcomed in the store. "Old school" stores are so much better than most of the sterile/generic shopping we mostly have left.
Chris

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
nitemare, NC is oddly seems to have been over run with anti smoking Nazis. I assume it is because of all the college and the liberals they brainwash and pump out. There is a cigar and pipe friendly place in Raleigh that's decent if you want a comfortable place to sit while enjoying a beverage. Havana Deluxe I think?
I also stay at the LaQuinta in Cary when visiting Raleigh on business. It is one of the nicer LaQuintas and has smoking rooms for a reasonable price. 15 to 20 minutes from downtown Raleigh and lots of decent shops, restaurants and bars close by. The last time I was in Raleigh, I rented a house from Air BNB that had a back deck and fenced in wooded yard that was a nice place to enjoy a bowl of tobacco. There's a really nice micro brewery with outside seating you can smoke at right at the border of Cary and Raleigh. Can't remember the name at the moment.

nitemair13

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2018
North Carolina
Yes but its slowly starting to fade I think, at least in eastern NC where I live it's not as big on anti smoking. Probably because everyone here either came from a tobacco farming family or are still growing tobacco every year. Although public areas are still a non smoking zone, it seems like cigars have really picked up here. I'm trying to light the fire for pipes around here and get local B&Ms to carry more inventory.
But the Raleigh/Cary/Durham area is known for being extremely liberal and brainwashed. Raleigh is not too bad if you stay away from the college areas, I rarely ever go to Cary or Durham.

highwaycobbery

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 14, 2015
North cacallaky
If anyone is in Wilmington nc, you must stop by at Davis and sons tobacconist. Second generation blender Tim Davis is a wealth of knowledge and will welcome you warmly. Spent many enjoyable hours there. Highly recommended.

nitemair13

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2018
North Carolina
Yes I've heard them mentioned and even George said they were a good place to stop in if you were in Wilmington. I don't head that way often but I might have to make up an excuse to go

highwaycobbery

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 14, 2015
North cacallaky
You will not be disappointed. Tim took a lot of time with me and basically taught me how to smoke a pipe. I believe his son is carrying on the family business. They also make beautiful hand made pens, have great shaving accessories and gentleman Knick knacks. All the blends there are done by Tim, no renamed bulks so, really go and enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.