Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dec 6, 2019
Dixieland
Well as the title says, I have my first toothache. It hurts like a bitch.

So what happens next?

Does the tooth eventually fall out on it's own?

It's one of my back teeth, so it won't affect my beauty.

Do hillbillies pull their own teeth out, or let somebody else do it?

If I ignore it will it go away?

How much does it cost to fix a toothache the right way? (No dental insurance)

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Well as the title says, I have my first toothache. It hurts like a bitch.

So what happens next?

Does the tooth eventually fall out on it's own?

It's one of my back teeth, so it won't affect my beauty.

Do hillbillies pull their own teeth out, or let somebody else do it?

If I ignore it will it go away?

How much does it cost to fix a toothache the right way? (No dental insurance)

Dentist's offices are terrible places...so I suggest you find one that makes house calls. And be sure to request laughing gas for the anesthetic.

On a serious note, I had a couple of teeth pulled about 2 years ago, and it all went very well, but the dentist had the same first AND last name as me. So I strongly advise you find one named Richmond B. Funkenhouser...just to be on the safe side.

Dec 6, 2019
Dixieland
Dentist's offices are terrible places...so I suggest you find one that makes house calls. And be sure to request laughing gas for the anesthetic.

On a serious note, I had a couple of teeth pulled about 2 years ago, and it all went very well, but the dentist had the same first AND last name as me. So I strongly advise you find one named Richmond B. Funkenhouser...just to be on the safe side.

What did you pull em out with?

MattRVA

Lifer
Feb 6, 2019
Richmond Virginia
First they will probably check for the source of pain, decay etc. and if the infected material can be removed and filled then a root canal isn’t necessary. If the infection has traveled to the interior of the tooth or the root, a root canal is probably needed. Extractions are for extreme cases or people who can’t afford ongoing procedures. I’m very familiar with tooth pain and my best advice is to seek out a local dentist. Try the local medical colleges first, if there is none seek out dental clinics that use a sliding scale payment method… if you have insurance then find a local dentist. It’s a nightmare but I recommend getting set up at a dentist for annual cleaning. In the meantime try warm salt water rinses and long rinses with antiseptic mouth wash. Best of luck buddy.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
No fun ever. No point my speculating on what may be causing or what may be the solution - make an appointment first chance you can. Depending on what is appropriate for you, take something for the pain. But don't put it off - the only thing I feel confident saying is it won't just go away and likely get worse. Your medical professional can assess and review the options with you.

Uguccione

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2024
Italy
But dentists are so expensive in the United States?
Here we are at these prices:
- filling € 150
- extraction € 150
- root canal € 500
Better to spend them on tobacco, agreed, but they don't seem like figures to compromise a family budget.