PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertelliott

Lurker
Nov 5, 2012
I know that this blog is 2 years old . However maybe there is new life
I know that this blog is over 2 years old . However recommendations seem to never grow old.

I would give Captain Black Copper a try . I tried this when I was staying at my folks

vacation home on the Chesapeake bay in Maryland. I am not a Captain Black fan , but this new blend

was one of better aromatics that I have had in a long time. Buy a pouch it's worth a try.

RobertElliott :puffpipe:

Happy Mortal ! He who knows pleasure which a pipe bestows

Isaac Hawkins Brown

1adsarge

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2016
NE Nevada
Many great suggestions here but I want to add Newminster No.400 Superior Navy Flake as my suggestion. It is very sweet, taste great, and I didn't experience any tongue bite. And to top it all off, it was pretty cheap as well.
Cheers,

Jared

pipeanddrum

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2016
Another recommendation for Carter Hall. It burns well, is very forgiving and is nice and sweet without being cloying. I've introduced a couple of my friends to the world of pipe smoking with a cob and Carter Hall.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
How did this get revived after three years? Oh well, the question comes up regularly. Along the Carter Hall line, PC makes a good match called Chatam Manor, which is very similar and comes in a tub, for a few bucks less. This is called the Midtown series and you can try all four tobaccos in the series in pouches before committing to a tub, but the blends are smooth, mild, and good starter tobaccos that might please experienced smokers too.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I'll speak up for Prince Albert: tasty, impossible to screw up, good to learn sipping technique.

txsasquatch

Might Stick Around
Jan 5, 2014
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say don't think too much about where to start. Just jump right in! The varieties available are nearly endless and once you develop preferences, you could still spend a lifetime exploring. Try to shake the intimidation and view it as an adventure. If I had to make a recommendation it would be to grab small amounts from several different genres and don't worry about which specific blend to start with. Try reaching out to a tobaccanist for an aromatic, English, and maybe a burley or Virginia based tobacco to wet your palette. Welcome to the club and try to enjoy the journey!
Edit: Note to self - Pay attention to post dates or run the risk of welcoming people who joined before I did.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I'd recommend something in late '70's Sobranie and a baccarat whiskey glass of 25yr old Macallan. Your first should be special ;)

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
I'd recommend something in late '70's Sobranie and a baccarat whiskey glass of 25yr old Macallan. Your first should be special ;)
Nate forgot to mention that you should commission your first pipe from Michael Parks. Cobs are for chumps.

Status
Not open for further replies.