PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

randelli

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 21, 2015
I find it kinda ruins the mood. You get all worked up for a smoke and have to stop and frantically search for one, fumble around in the dark to put it on, and end up with a less than satisfying experience. May as well wear a rain coat.

addamsruspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
I have found that it depends on where the softy bits were made. Got some from China and they work great on my stems that are bigger, but have air gaps on smaller stems. While the ones that I get from my local tobacconist work great on the smaller stems. And since I am big clincher they really help save my stems.

scrumpyjack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 16, 2014
Texas
Already stated but I will second sliding them down a bit. I Have them on a few, nut notice I seem to slobber more when I use them. Then again I may just have a slobbering problem. I have been slobbering drunk before. Maybe that's my problem.

aimlesswanderer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 25, 2016
I tried one of these for the first time earlier this week. I'm normally quite a dry smoker, but couldn't believe how much this made me drool. I have tried again a couple of times, and must admit that I'm not convinced either way. I'm certainly not going to leave it on permanently, as that will just promote nasties growing.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I find it kinda ruins the mood. You get all worked up for a smoke and have to stop and frantically search for one, fumble around in the dark to put it on, and end up with a less than satisfying experience. May as well wear a rain coat.
Missed this one a week ago. Terrific! My pipes all go commando, and I don't clench down hard.

jamesrsmithjr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 13, 2015
I like to clench and some of my pipes just can't be (the button side is curved too much side to side). On those I use the softy bits..
Are they a tad clunky, yes. Have I gotten used to that, somewhat... Can I now clench all my pipes, yes...
TETO...

loomongous

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 12, 2015
Colorado
I use cobs when I think I will have to clench. Tried the pipe condoms. Hate them. Most of the time my pipe smoking is a dedicated exercise in relaxation.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Interesting ... I might try them on cheap cob stems. Oddly enough, I cannot find sturdier cob stems in my neighborhood, but these rubber thingies are in reach. I guess using them will prolong the life of the plastic stem, although I am not sure I would like the feel.

dogmoby

Lurker
Feb 7, 2017
I use them, but don't love them. Heat shrink tubing and vinyl tubing can be used as less bulky alternatives.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I use them on certain pipes. I cut off the button of the softie and then put it on so it sits just past the button of the stem. When I first tried that I thought it made a huge difference in how it felt

Status
Not open for further replies.