PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fafnir

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 21, 2016
As a relatively new smoker I have to habit of indulging between 4 - 5 bowls a week under the lapa in my garden,this suites me quite fine as we have a lot of birdlife of the ornithological variety in South Africa, from Hornbill's to Cut throat finches visiting our gardens.
Well this afternoon I had to refuel my car and decided to let it be valet serviced at an extremely busy spot, to pass the time I just sat in the shade and started merrily puffing away, not one sneer or fake cough was made by any bystanders. One elderly lady who also who also waited for her vehicle to be cleaned remarked at how calm and meditative I looked as I puffed away.
As we live in a world where we shamed and ostracized people all the time, do anyone here have a bad experience smoking in public?

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
No but something a bit surpriced looking faces around, expesially if I'm in my cadillac car with a pipe in theeth and fedora hat on,is it that an adult man should look like a some kinda hip-hop junkie or whatever..

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
The only thing you might look like sitting in a Cadillac wearing a fedora smoking a pipe is a guy going to a Haloween party as Superfly. Now if you were in a Bentley wearing a sideways baseball cap and smoking a blunt, maybe someone might mistake you for a hip hop junkie.

Never, I smoke everywhere I go, most restaurants, coffee shops, and stores don't mind my pipe, even if smoking cigarettes are prohibited (I always ask politely). I had one lady say something, but she was polite as well. But, the majority of the time people will set next to me, and ask me questions about smoking a pipe. I've even caught myself with my pipe still clenched as I was walking through the grocery store.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Nice to hear that you had a pleasant experience. I think more people are curious about pipes than disgusted by them. I've never had a bad experience but I know others who have.

crusader

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Nebraska
I have gotten a lot of double takes, no comments from strangers so far. Most people that know me have always been curious as most of them think it was something old timers only did a hundred yrs ago. Il take the dog for a walk with some birds eye smoldering, all the time when driving as well. I am not really conscious about it at all. It's their problem if they don't approve!

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Glad your first time out went well. I haven't had any negative comments yet, myself - the only people who have said anything directly to me have been complimentary (well, there was one guy who asked if I was smoking weed, but I do live in Colorado, so that's not necessarily a bad thing to ask...).

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This is an old tobacco state, so it may not be as predisposed to being zealous about not smoking. I've never run into any trouble, though I don't test the limits, just because I don't walk in heavy pedestrian traffic or in shopping areas. I took a cob pipe break outside a bluegrass venue, and there was no comment. A corn cob pipe somewhat went with bluegrass origins, in the country, in another tobacco state, so harassing me would have been antithetical to the event. Pipe smoking is rare enough that it might be more of a sort of historical note than taken as an infraction. Probably few children and some adults have ever seen a pipe smoked.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
Come to think of it, I've never smoked my pipe "in public"... always at home or "on the grounds".(my .75 acre slice of heaven) Neighbors and their opinions have come and gone... but it's my place, my pleasures, my rules... and they all know I'm exceptionally well armed... and I am an exceptionally fine shot, even in my dotage. Heh heh... just pipe dreamin'!

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I don't smoke in public unless you consider my driveway public, but mainly because it's a self-imposed limit on smoking. But once many years ago when I was still smoking cigars, I was in a restaurant and lit up after dinner. A woman at the next table asked me very nastily to put it out because she was pregnant and the stench was making her sick. She wasn't showing, she was drinking alcohol, and she was definitely no spring chicken, so I gave her a skeptical look. So she asked me, again very nastily, if I was surprised a woman her age was able to get pregnant. And I replied no, I was surprised a woman with her attitude was able to find a man willing to f*** her.

Jan 8, 2013
I've had a few instances where someone was standing UPwind of my smoke, with the smoke clearly going in the opposite direction and they start coughing and giving me dirty looks. People are stupid. I no longer like people.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
It's only been a year with piping, but so far no backlash. Caught shit all the time with cigs. Recently hung out with a couple friends I hadn't seen in over a decade. When they found out I had switched to smoking a pipe, I got two thumbs up.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I go along with no smoking statutes. Especially in "better" restaurants, where I might want a pipe or cigar after a robust meal, I wouldn't ask others to tolerate me, on the basis that, at current restaurant prices, you don't want someone else's selection of tobacco to accompany your entree, your beverages, salad or dessert. It's a cultural change, for sure. Until I was in my thirties, ash trays were standard in most restaurants, and an after dinner smoke was a civil right. On the other hand, if someone is hiking out of their way to admonish me in open air and public space, that growling you hear is a man with low blood sugar or maybe rabies.

May 4, 2015
I try to make myself scarce when I'm smoking - cigs or pipe. If I'm in an establishment where the proprietor permits smoking, I lighten up on that, but still tend to ask my chair neighbor if its bothering them.
I'm all for smokers' rights, but at the same time, I adhere to a standard I learned from my very libertarian history teacher in high school:
"My rights end where yours begin."

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I smoke in public often and never get comments that are negative but I'm also 6'4 and 300lbs and possess what my wife calls "resting axe-murderer face". I have gotten many thumbs up or smiles, a few inquisitive questions, and some nice comments like "My Grandpa smoked a pipe."

Status
Not open for further replies.