PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDesertPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 5, 2021
Arizona
I have been recommended on more then one occasion here on the forum, and in real life to try out some of the "codger" blends. I finally decided to take that advice and went ahead and ordered some Sir Walter Raleigh from P&C about a month or so ago. I got the 1.5 ounce pouch since I wasn't sure If I was going to enjoy it. It arrived in the mail along with a few other goodies. The tin note, or pouch note in this case, was chocolatey and sweet, it kind of reminded me of raisinets, which I happen to like quite like. The tobacco moisture level seemed good right out of the pouch, so I went ahead and threw some into one my MM cobs. The cut of the tobacco is different from anything else I have ever smoked. I don't know what cut is actually called, but its cut into really small pieces. Made loading the bowl really easy, however, because it is so small I ended up inhaling a few pieces through the pipe into my mouth (which almost never happens). I took the pipe outback and lit up. From the get go the taste was pretty good. I got a nutty, chocolatey, flavor with hints of some kind of tang/spice mixed in. I think that I read the topping is for SWR is anise, so maybe that is where where the spice comes from? The smoke was cool and consistent the entire way through. I don't think you could get tongue bite from SWR if you tried. It burned a little quick, but really evenly throughout the smoke. Flavor was there from start to finish. Nic hit is mild to non-existent, but that is true of most tobaccos for me. I smoke outside so can't really get a good bead on the room note. In my humble opinion SWR was a solid smoke. I can see why it has been around for as long as it has.

I actually first smoked this about 3 weeks ago. It took me awhile to come write my review. Since then I have been smoking SWR a lot. For me, it hits the spot anytime of the day. Its kind of weird. I have all sorts of other tobacco, some which I have yet to try, yet I keep craving SWR. Sometimes I just like to open the pouch up and smell it. I think I am going to go order the 14 ounce can off P&C.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I had a blah experience with SWR some years ago, but I recently gave it a second chance. My pouch announced it is now 75 years old, so it is unlikely to disappear because of impending regulations. My bad experience was from a shelf-worn pouch from a gas station smoked through a cob filter, so it had no substantive flavor. This time, it was a fresh pouch in an unfiltered pipe. It is quite mild, and I got very little non-tobacco flavoring from it, but the burley came through with its nutty notes, and I was definitely pleased. It's not like GLP or some of C&D's innovative burley blends, but it certainly has a place in my "cellar," (bookshelf and pipe rack stash). Thanks for this good review. If others haven't tried this fine old burley blend, I would certainly recommend it. Now to try the pouch of Velvet that came with it.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I had a blah experience with SWR some years ago, but I recently gave it a second chance. My pouch announced it is now 75 years old, so it is unlikely to disappear because of impending regulations. My bad experience was from a shelf-worn pouch from a gas station smoked through a cob filter, so it had no substantive flavor. This time, it was a fresh pouch in an unfiltered pipe. It is quite mild, and I got very little non-tobacco flavoring from it, but the burley came through with its nutty notes, and I was definitely pleased. It's not like GLP or some of C&D's innovative burley blends, but it certainly has a place in my "cellar," (bookshelf and pipe rack stash). Thanks for this good review. If others haven't tried this fine old burley blend, I would certainly recommend it. Now to try the pouch of Velvet that came with it.
Would definitely love to hear your perspective on Velvet.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I got a pouch of SWRA last Tuesday. I was looking forward to it since it's been recommended here. Finally, yesterday I was able to pack a bowl and have at it...

Very, very disappointing. Pouch note is kinda nice. Taste from pipe is... like nothing. A boo-rley, after all—why should I be surprised? :rolleyes: This is a whole new definition of MEH.

At least it didn't bite me like Mixture 79 and at least it burned consistently with few relights. So, there're the positives.

Oh, another positive: I'm done with "codger blends".

Reactions: LikeDadDid

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
SWR and SWRA are great blends. If you get the tub, no need to jar, it will keep a long time in the tub after opening. I will also recommend Sutliff Match Ready Rubbed and Granger. Same cut of tobacco and ready to smoke.
I really like Granger, but unlike other 'codger' blends, I find I have to dry it a short while before putting in the bowl. Granted, I smoke outside and it's pretty humid here these days.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
I really like Granger, but unlike other 'codger' blends, I find I have to dry it a short while before putting in the bowl. Granted, I smoke outside and it's pretty humid here these days.
Same here, living in the south has its drawbacks. I smoke outside also. I just got through with Eight State Burley in a cob, pretty nasty outside and I loaded a pipe with Granger for tomorrow morning. I find some blends do well to sit in the pipe overnight. 20210528_191552.jpg

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
Same here, living in the south has its drawbacks. I smoke outside also. I just got through with Eight State Burley in a cob, pretty nasty outside and I loaded a pipe with Granger for tomorrow morning. I find some blends do well to sit in the pipe overnight. View attachment 83912
Yep I do the same thing (preload a pipe for the morning) -- which works great so long as I keep it inside until morning. If left outside, I'll go through half a bic lighter trying to keep it going.

smknron

Can't Leave
Sep 9, 2019
West Central Florida
Same here, living in the south has its drawbacks. I smoke outside also. I just got through with Eight State Burley in a cob, pretty nasty outside and I loaded a pipe with Granger for tomorrow morning. I find some blends do well to sit in the pipe overnight. View attachment 83912
Yep, I usually do the same, let it sit in one of the pipes over night.

Status
Not open for further replies.