PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
And Peter Heinrichs Dark Strong Flake is supposed to be very similar though maybe not the same.
Tried it after seeing that Orlik DSK may be discontinued. They certainly seem very, very similar, if not completely the same product. I fell for DSK on its way out, was able to grab some tins, but did not like the idea of rationing them out. I found the Peter Heinrich's version to be a suitable replacement.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
On closer, side by side inspection, there is a difference in smell, with the Orlik smelling more of its sweet topping vs the PH smelling more of DFK. The flakes look identical. What is interesting is the description on the tins - the Orlik version is pretty straight forward, but the PH mentions Black Cavendish and does not mention DFK.

Later today, a side-by-side comparison to satisfy my curiosity.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I tested this blend and for my tastes it didn't make it in my cellar. I really dislike hey and grass in my blends. I once had a tall boy from 1997 that I smoked in 2012. The tobacco had turned really dark and the Virginia had some raisin and fig flavors that were nice. I don't regret not cellaring it as Capstan Blue Flake blew it away in my opinionI got around 150 tins of the Capstan Blue flake that aged very well in only 8-9 years. I also stocked up on Fribourg & Treyer Cut Virginia Plug which is one of my favorites. Dunhill Flake also beat out GS. John Aylesbury Luxury flake was tastier as was my batch of 2006 Samuel Gawith Best Brown.

I do however love their Dark Strong Kentucky and I loaded up on it when it came back on the market in 2015 I believe. I bought 100 tins after taste testing for half a tin. They didn't have the tall boys which I like as they were 100 grams and the new stuff is only 50 grams but I don't care as I have one of my favorite blends back in my cellar.

Status
Not open for further replies.