PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDesertPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 5, 2021
Arizona
I was at my local B&M earlier today and on the recommendation of another person I picked up a tin of Orlik Golden Sliced.
I haven't been smoking too terribly long (about a year) and the overwhelming majority of what I have been smoking is English blends, followed by aromatics. I have barely dipped my toes into the world of Virginias and I was told OGS was a great place to start. After I returned home from the store I cracked open the tin and took a whiff. I found the tin note to be light, sweet, and very raisin-ish (My wife said raisins and hot car leather, but I disagree on the later part). I packed the bowl into my new Peterson and went out back. Unfortunately, as soon as I stepped outside the wind picked up, making getting my bowl lit a serious pain in the ass. I got her going eventually though and right from the first puff I tasted toast with light traces of honey like sweetness. As I got a little more into the bowl I started picking up notes of grass/hay along with the the previous flavors. Every once in a while I caught the faintest bit of lemon zest. I found that it was burning a little hot. I was taking some very generous "sips", but I believe the wind also made things worse. Despite that it was surprisingly mellow and I didn't experience any bite whatsoever. The flavors stayed pretty true for the majority of my smoke, but the wind was getting worse and sitting outside was not enjoyable, so I stopped just a little over half way through the bowl. If the wind dies down I will load up again for round two, but as a first impression I found everything about OGS to be pleasantly pleasing. I would definitely recommend giving it a try if you haven't yet.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think OGS was a good introduction to a Virginia based blend. A lot of us can't taste the Perique that is said to be in it, but that doesn't matter to me. OGS has it critics, and it does require a little receptivity and sensitivity; it's not Nightcap or Royal Yacht. I found OGS good when I first tried it about ten years ago, and I still do.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
OGS is a good smoke but smoking it in the wind as you walk is really difficult. I would suggest getting a windcap or give up smoking when it is windy. If you don't wear glasses one of the embers could get in your eye. And there are tons of VaPers out there.

JimPM

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2021
Glad you liked it. Golden Sliced is in my standard VaPer rotation. I also get the lemon notes; very appealing. The Perique is almost indistinguishable but that's okay in this case. GS is just a nice tasty blend. I agree with the recommendations of trying the Newminster Navy Flake - a straight VA rather. It's a little more basic. It is a good comparable in a nice study in native VA flavors; and it's cheap!

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
OGS has been and continues to be one of my benchmark Virginias. IMO, you've discovered one of the best available. Time to start stacking tins for down the road

Reactions: ofafeather

thedoc333

Might Stick Around
Mar 15, 2021
LA
Recently discovered OGS. Everything about it is solid and low fuss. Lights great, smokes great. I found that the flavors come out the tighter I pack. Warm orange fresh baked cheese danish. Great all around, borderline a bit ripe for a real warm weather smoke but about right for any occasion. Highly recommended. Can’t wait to try Strong Kentucky as I love anise topping.

Status
Not open for further replies.