First Superman Comic Sells For $3.25 Million: Bargain Or Bull?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Yep the wealthiest people I knew were also the cheapest, used people, didn’t think much of them, only for themselves, one owned an international oil lab company had a Condo next to mine, would come over for my Cajun coffee, brag about it, didn’t fool me he was too cheap to buy coffee. It’s their money forget about it.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
The coin market has individual coins going for more then that at auction on a frequent basis. I can think of 2 I read about in the last 48 hours.

Reactions: telescopes

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you just sold your dot-com company for 130M, I guess 3.25M wouldn't seem like that much. But indeed, wealth would be a harsh test of character.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I understand peoples discontent for people who inherit money but if a man makes his own fortune what right does anyone have to take it
Society has every right so long as the rights are abridged in the codexes and rules of the society one lives. Individuals draw their rights and privileges from whatever constitutions that the majority has agreed to follow. By the way, no man or woman for that matter, single handedly made a fortune without help from others. They were able to do so in the confines provided by the social, economic, and political structures in which they live. I don't know why this seems so difficult to understand.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
It's only worth what someone will pay on the day.
If it's money that you have earned, and it's going to make you happy, then why not ?
Sad if you're buying it only to lock up in a safe.

telescopes

It's only worth what someone will pay on the day.
If it's money that you have earned, and it's going to make you happy, then why not ?
Sad if you're buying it only to lock up in a safe.
Not just a safe. In an argon vault. The paper will disi in the next few decades. It's a low low quality.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
They were able to do so in the confines provided by the social, economic, and political structures in which they live.
Not always! Some made their fortune by working outside those confines, ignoring them completely as they worked their "magic".

I don't know why such is so hard to accept for many. The world is not an orderly place. Further, in a country of laws (the US?), many are successful in avoiding/breaking/side stepping those laws to make their fortunes. Many such behaviors are contrary to those structures (strictures) you write of.

telescopes

Not always! Some made their fortune by working outside those confines, ignoring them completely as they worked their "magic".

I don't know why such is so hard to accept for many. The world is not an orderly place. Further, in a country of laws (the US?), many are successful in avoiding/breaking/side stepping those laws to make their fortunes. Many such behaviors are contrary to those structures (strictures) you write of.
Contrary, and as you all but suggest (all though not perhaps purposely) criminal. There is doing what is right and then there is doing the right thing. This forum isn't the best place for this type of discussion, but the title of the thread begs the discussion. My point is only that when anyone suggests that individuals have a "right" to great wealth, the suggestion that it is a right presumes that an individual can determine and enforce perceived rights outside of the societal covenants under which they live. Ted Kazinsky did until he didn't. Now he enjoys a stay at a Supermax facility. I am Not suggesting an option one way or another other than at some point conspicuous consumption runs the risk of conspicuous tax increases.

Reactions: sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
There's a very interesting discussion going on here.

At the risk of an overly simplistic observation, the "self made" man, woman, dog, whatever, is a myth. As has been said earlier, nobody gets anywhere without help. And the debate, in a larger sense, is about how much does one value that help.

kanaia

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 3, 2013
Buying 3 million dollar comic books or 100 million dollar paintings are a great way to wash some money.

Reactions: mawnansmiff
Status
Not open for further replies.