PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dustmite

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2015
[*]Just had a "yay me" moment. I tried fold and stuff and roll and stuff before, and never managed to make it work. Today, I grabbed a flake of OGS, my MM Mark Twain and headed out the door. I didn't really think about it, and I had my best smoke of OGS to date. The flavor was much more intense, and it seemed to burn much cooler. Always fun when it comes together.

hierophant

Lifer
Jul 27, 2014
Congrats. I don't even try anymore.
It doesn't matter how I "fold & stuff" I still have to relight approximately 78 times to finish a bowl, because no matter what you do, the tobacco doesn't stay lit. And then the bowl isn't "finished" because there's so much unburned tobacco in it; I just get tired of screwing with it and dump it out.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Hier: Have you tried cutting the flakes in tiny cubes. I'm not an expert at this at all, but Harris has some great advice on this method. You can look it up in the archives.
Lately, I've been folding and stuffing some PS Luxury Navy Flake. I'm going back to the trimming the flakes into small chunks. Again, see Harris and some others on how this is done properly.
Hope this helps.

dustmite

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2015
Yes, outdoor only at my house. As for relights, I think I had four, and a bit at the bottom left over.

alexnorth

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2015
Congratulations! I also have a hard time coping with intact flakes

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
The Harris method of small cubes does work great foe me. When I do it with OGS, I "bed" the bowl with a pinch of Carter Hall to prevent any small cube chunks from entering the airway.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Congrats. That method doesn't work for me though. I rub out my flakes currently but I'm going to have to try the cube cut method sometime soon.

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
Whenever I get flakes I just rub them out beforehand, and put the whole lot back in the tin. Saves having to do it before every smoke. As for fold and stuff, I too have to keep relighting endlessly. It worked for me once, but never has since.

hierophant

Lifer
Jul 27, 2014
Tensmoker, yup I'll cube cut or just rub the flake out. I know you're supposedly missing out on something doing that, but since all I'm missing out on is relights, I'm fine with it :)

jamesrsmithjr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 13, 2015
Fold and stuff is more like fold, twist, smush and slip for me. The twist does a small rub out, the smush further rubs it out and insures the "plug" will fill the chamber. The slip means just what wants to go in goes in, loosely, what doesn’t go in doesn’t go in. Some flakes need more twist and smush (DH Flake, FVF), some just fall apart (Escudo, NM 403).
Broken flakes will have pieces lined up, f,t,s&s. heck, I’ll even make a ‘plug’ out of ribbon and just slip that in…
Of course, I have been playing with flakes for years.

dustmite

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2015
I have to deem the experiment a success. I was able to duplicate my results. It seems like a bowl lasts longer with this method. And I counted religiosity this time. Including the char light, my Zippo was used 4 times. The only difference this time was a MM Country Gentleman instead of my Mark Twain.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
For those having trouble with the fold and stuff, look up the videos on z-fold, for me this has worked the best. Then practice makes perfect, fold and stuff consistently and the actual fold and stuff will get smoother and produce better results. I fold and stuff, then let the flake dry in the pipe. I find they stuff better right out of the tin or jar but do need dry time. Sometimes I even fold and stuff the night before for damper flakes. Then make some kindling to go on top out of a broken flake, this helps enormously. Lastly, I always do three char lights and this seems to help it get going. I was total flake noob when I came here but I have fallen in love with the method. Once a well folded flake gets burning, they smoke so slow and cool (relatively speaking of course.)
Glad you got it down dustmite, it's quite a satisfying moment.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
The trick to the fold and stuff method is once you're done folding you rest the flake on your middle finger in between your ring and index/pointer and use your thumb to break it up a bit from about the middle to bottom of the flake. It helps air get in there and keep the leaf burning. As always, check the draw before lighting.

jimbo69

Might Stick Around
Jun 21, 2014
I like flakes for the flavor intensity, but I absolutely suck at fold/stuff no matter the configuration. Rubbed/cut works for me. YMMV

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Lotpr has stated it best at least in how it works for me. That little bit of loosening up the "plug" before you load the pipe tends to allow for better air flow. As much as I can appreciate the rituals and prep we put ourselves through as pipe smokers, cube cutting is just too monotonous for me to bother with. If I'm going to be smoking outdoors and especially if it's breezy, I fold and stuff as above. Indoors, I'll rub it out completely so as not to have to deal with multiple re-lights. The outdoors scenerio usually makes for a pretty smooth and flavorful smoke since there's plenty of air flow and with the flake compacted such as it is, everything just flows well and I can enjoy the pipe with little fuss. My 2 cents of course and ymmv.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Well I'm sitting solidly among those that don't have much luck with the fold and stuff method. I've cube cut a few times with good results but still prefer to rub the flake out, let it dry a bit then have at 'er. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.