PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2010
I've been wanting to get another couple of pipes just like my Sara Eltang. A little blasted billiard with a saddle mouthpiece that are right around 5.25".
I couldnt find any Eltangs, but I did stumble across the Stanwell 54 in the Vario finish. The dimensions on paper are about as identical to my Sara Eltang as possible. The only difference is the partial smooth finish. Interesting that Tom Eltang cut briar for Stanwell. I wonder if the 54 which is really just a 53 but 0.25" shorter is a shape of his? It looks like a great little pipe. I love smaller pipes, but with full size bowls.
002-034-5480.jpg

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
I have had 4 Stanwells and all great smokers. One, I just gifted to my brother-in-law as a wedding gift. Cyndi and I called it Old Man Stanwell because it was definitely a really old pipe.
The other two, which I restored, are turning into great smokers as well. I'm just having to be a little more patient with them.

jasongone

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 23, 2011
i love my stanwells.

cortez a stanwell 191 (legend series) is my favorite and was my first bulldog that started my love of the shape.

fullbent

Can't Leave
May 6, 2011
Very nice, I don't own a stanwell , but they carry a good reputation in the pipe world :clap:

nemrod

Can't Leave
Apr 28, 2011
Sweden
I really like Stanwell's shapes, there are several that frequently catch my eye if I stumble across them on the net. You got a real pretty one there :) Eltang used to work for Stanwell and still does some designs for them :)
I actually got my first Stanwell just last week as well, a 1989 year pipe representing the year I was born. I ordered another one yesterday, a 2010 year pipe. I'm thinking I'm going to start collecting them starting 2010, the year I started smoking pipes. The 2011 year pipe is one of few of their shapes I'm not too happy about though (the non-9mm version). :/
1989 (bad case of rim charring unfortunately, but it smokes very well and looks great otherwise, so I don't mind):

XkREj.jpg

2010:

Stanwell%20Pipe%20of%20the%20Year%202010%20Sand%201.jpg

jayh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2010
Gald to hear so many positive comments on stanwell. Obviously they have earned it and I'm happy to give them a chance to win me over as well.

htmn246

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 11, 2010
I'm reading your posts while smoking the first stanwell i bought (but not the last) a bent bulldog #191 with petersons summer 2010 blend great combo.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I am turning into a Stanwell collector too. I have never been disappointed with a Stanwell, not even their "second"s - the Royal Danish (in fact, I bought another one yesterday). I haven't seen the 2011 POY yet, but I have two 2010 ones, one of them a limited edition pipe.

flipflopsandshades

Can't Leave
Dec 12, 2010
Holy Cow!! LOL I am actually smoking my Stanwell Vario right now!!! Mine looks almost exactly like yours except with a somewhat thicker stem. Excellent draw and smokes good for 30-45 minutes.
Absolutely love the colors!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.