First Smoke Was Not Pleasant. Advice for a Newbie?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
@ robin

Happy to hear that packing 'really tight' is somehow working out for you, but that is something I would never suggest! Old rule of thumb: 'pack more loosely than you think you should'.
There is something called a tamper, and it's used for a good reason. While smoking it is used occasionally to lightly 'tamp' the tobacco down. By that I mean just the weight of the tamper, and not to press down with any pressure. Also, when you need to re-light, follow the same procedure by lightly tamping the tobacco before you do so.

welshpiper

Lurker
Apr 27, 2014
I too have had a couple of "not so pleasant" first smokes. Last night improved slightly and I managed to keep the pipe lit for a couple of minutes at a time...but still got through about 20 matches and seemed to be running the pipe too hot at times.
I think I was packing too light, but am finding it hard to gauge. Also, think the tobacco (Erinmore Mixture) would benefit from some more drying time, as the corn cob I was using seemed pretty wet inside.
There were times when it would be lit and I could sip slowly and enjoy the flavours - the tobacco changed entirely at this point and became far more enjoyable. But unfortunately the whole experience was still surrounded by tonguebite and constant re lights! I will stick at it though.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
You might try this method as it works out quite well and is almost fool proof, albeit somewhat sloppy. And yes, by all means you more often than not need to let many of the aro’s dry out a good bit. I’ve had to let some aro’s dry out for a good hour. I only occasionally smoke aro’s any longer , but even many of the non-aro’s, especially the flake and coin type, are in need some drying. That, and a good deal of patience will get you there as it’s all a learning process. :wink:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePTCsBb7xAQ

Mar 1, 2014
-welshpiper
I too have had a couple of "not so pleasant" first smokes. Last night improved slightly and I managed to keep the pipe lit for a couple of minutes at a time...but still got through about 20 matches and seemed to be running the pipe too hot at times.
I think I was packing too light, but am finding it hard to gauge. Also, think the tobacco (Erinmore Mixture) would benefit from some more drying time, as the corn cob I was using seemed pretty wet inside.
There were times when it would be lit and I could sip slowly and enjoy the flavours - the tobacco changed entirely at this point and became far more enjoyable. But unfortunately the whole experience was still surrounded by tonguebite and constant re lights! I will stick at it though.
1. Just to get a feel for it give your pipe a few "practice packs". I spent weeks getting it wrong just because I wanted to smoke a bowl every time I packed it, which was silly. Take a few minutes with a bundle of tobacco and just pack and empty the bowl a few times.

First stuff tobacco in until you can't get air through the stem. That is the definition of "too hard". Then take that back until you get just some restriction on your draw, I prefer a lighter draw but you'll have to play with that a little. The principle is that you need to find both extremes before you know where the middle is.
2. For the sake of having a chance of enjoying yourself I would forgo the matches until you can keep something going decently well. For a while there I was going through roughly the same number of matches on all but the best burning tobaccos. A small butane torch will save a lot of time and frustration, even if it's not ideal. Using the torch also saves my mouth since I can keep puffing at the proper pace while lighting rather than continually needing to suck the flame into the tobacco.
Lastly make sure to give your mouth time to heal. Three months in and I still get sores in my mouth if I smoke more than two days in a row.

welshpiper

Lurker
Apr 27, 2014
Thanks all for the tips. I tried the swirl method of packing last night for the first time. I tried it in an MM cob (which I've read it isn't as good for compared to briars?) and it did seem to pack nicely, but I still didn't keep it lit for more than 30 seconds at a time!
I'm going to try it again tonight in my briar. I'm running out of ideas/things to change though... I will swap out the matches tonight for a butane lighter and see if that improves things.
The pack definitely seemed better, and the puffs that I did take were much sweeter and smoother than anything that I'd tasted during my previous attempts, so it has spurred me on to get it right!
I've also ordered a number of 5g tobacco samplers from smoke-king, so should have ten or so new tobaccos to try out over the next few days, just incase it's an issue of my tobacco being too wet etc.
Thanks

swmalone

Lurker
May 21, 2014
As a new smoker I have been trying to find tobacco blends I enjoy. I have been fortunate enough that the owner of the nearest smoke shop offers bowl sized samples of the bulk tobaccos. I have discovered that a couple had way more nicotine than I was used to and made me feel ill after smoking, it was nice to be able to find that out before buying a few ounces. I have been enjoying Peter Stokkebye sweet vanilla. The first smoke wasn't that great but I slowed way down, didn't worry about relights and have been enjoying it. I prefer it in the meerschaum and an estate dr. grabow royal duke. I tried it in a briar yello-bole and enjoyed the flavor but noticed it was burning hot and wet.
I wish they had some bulk samples of english blends but I think if I want to try those I'm going to have to place an online order.
This forum is great and I enjoy reading all of the tips and suggestions.

Mar 31, 2014
As I was a cigar smoker before I became a pipe smoker, I'd recommend giving Cornell & Diehl Billy Budd a shot in your pipe. It has maduro cigar leaf and latikia, which made my transition from cigars to pipes very smooth. It's still my favorite.

rasselass

Lurker
Apr 3, 2014
Knowing that "The First Smoke" can be "make or break" for new Briar Pipesmokers,i always advised they put a small hot coal or ember in the bowl,covering it with a large coin,and slowly rotating for a minute or so,thereby scorching and removing any "stain" that has seeped through this also encourages the carbon cake to form,also to avoid mild tobacco's like aromatics to avoid tongue bite until more experienced and half a bowl at a time ,if their father was a known pipesmoker to me i'd advise them to let him "break it in for him" and borrow one of his pipes....a bad start can put them off,i started off smoking one of my fathers pipes which was well broke in.

unholy1

Might Stick Around
May 4, 2014
Patience.
My first few bowls were terrible: burned hot, couldn't keep it lit, tasted like charcoal, etc. I made similar mistakes when I began smoking cigars. Take your time.
Tips:
1) Get a cob pipe.

2) Don't pack the bowl too tight.

3) Don't over draw. Slow and gentle.

4) Tamp lightly.
After a few bowls, you'll begin figuring it out. Don't quit. I did for several weeks, then went back for one more try. You'll begin to develop a feel for it. With that said, I still screw up a bowl now and then.

tobyducote

Lifer
Jun 10, 2012
New Orleans
Well lots of good advice is being shared, so here goes my two cents...First, the tobacco probably needs more than a few minutes to dry out...I will typically put newly purchased bulk in a ziplock bag and leave it in the center console of my car for a couple if days...do not let it sit in direct sunlight...your Yello B pipe will need a few blows to get broken in and for a cake to begin to build...you should probably start with smoking a few half bowls and then work your way up to a full bowl. Secondly, you must tamp, often.... And finally, re-lighting is part of the process...Be patient, it takes time to learn the process of packing, tamping, and lighting a pipe. Enjoy the experience and don't rush it...and let that tobacco dry out some more.

tobyducote

Lifer
Jun 10, 2012
New Orleans
Well lots of good advice is being shared, so here goes my two cents...First, the tobacco probably needs more than a few minutes to dry out...I will typically put newly purchased bulk in a ziplock bag and leave it in the center console of my car for a couple if days...do not let it sit in direct sunlight...your Yello B pipe will need a few blows to get broken in and for a cake to begin to build...you should probably start with smoking a few half bowls and then work your way up to a full bowl. Secondly, you must tamp, often.... And finally, re-lighting is part of the process...Be patient, it takes time to learn the process of packing, tamping, and lighting a pipe. Enjoy the experience and don't rush it...and let that tobacco dry out some more.

carlweis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2014
Hey yall, I just started smoking pipe recently as well, I went a different route after reading much of what different people had to say. It's sometimes hard to extrapolate personal opinion and skill and type of pipe.

Here's what I've found.

1. had to learn what type of packing worked for me

2. had to learn to sip on the pipe after burning the ever loving hell outta my tongue, ties in with packing and

ability of pipe to flow.

3. cheap pipe tobacco sucks, stuff that is super sweet smelling and moist is super hard to keep lit

4. The pipe itself can changed the entire experience.

4a. This can be expensive so hit up some antique stores find you some estate pipes

5. My first meerschaum blew my mind with the coolness of the smoke and the flavor,

6. I had about written off briars because of my no name briar, until I tried a late 1960's dr grabow I got for 10

dollars, and a Late 60's Kaywoodie. They both smoke so well it amazed me, but for different applications.

Grabow for yard work smoking carter hall, and the Kaywoodie is almost right up there with my meerschaum smoking

Dunhill NightCap which is my bar non favorite tobacco so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.