PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawp

Lurker
Jul 15, 2019
Good morning and happy weekend
I would like to share my first restoration attempt over a state Denmark made Salvatella (curious it is a Spanish company) I choose this pipe because it has a crack in the bowl and was heavily used giving me the opportunitie to apply some of the techniques I am learning here and there.

After evaluated the pipe status I reemed and cleaned the bowl, atendt the crack in the bowl with CA, sandblasted the old dark finnish, and use the boiled linseed oil method to polish it (yet in process)

Attached some before and after pictures for your consideration,comments and sugestions
top-b-337x600.jpg

ls-b-337x600.jpg

cracked-bowl-337x600.jpg

http://pipesmagazine.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/album/20204/crack-337x600.jpg
ss-1-337x600.jpg

staining-337x600.jpg

And finally a before and after pic
ba-600x494.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's bringing a pipe a long way back. Salvage and then salvation. I hope the stem comes back as far as the bowl has. ssjones comment on minimal materials is so true, and a tribute to your good instincts on how to proceed. You could save a lot of pipes and not buy many or any additional tools (though buying tools might be part of the fun). I'm intrigued with the Spanish brand. Apparently Spain has been making pipes a long time, but just not marketed them internationally as much. So much so that some of the known brands from other countries are farming out pipe production to Spain as well as Italy and France. I don't even know brand names of Spanish pipes, until this one.

mawp

Lurker
Jul 15, 2019
At first I thought it was too dark then I found the crack in the bowl so I said to my self "let's do it" went to my friend's shop so I can grab the sandblaster and took the dark finish away, then do the CA application to the crack and sand blasting again them some sanding before first dying to bring out some lines, sanding then oiling and sanding again, several times.

I decided to work on the ring and flattening it I must confess I have a soft spot for flat and angular rings.

As ssjones said, minimal everything indeed, but still have to find carnauba wax, white diamond paste and buffing wheels to acieve a nice polish, so mso489 you wont be dessapointed I still have fun ahead, I mean I still have to buy some stuff hahaha.

Despite be very supportive my wife know how to count and she tolds me with some degree of disaprovement "how many pipes did you finally get as a birthday present? I said to her I will get one perhaps two and ends up with eleven, I know for many of you major hobbyist it may sound like peanuts but for me that be appart for so long is not so easy to explaing this pipe adquisition disorder, in fact the last batch of pipes I got (4 Salvatellas one of them in the pictures above) three have some kind of damage and I got them on porpouse because they were cheap and I will have the chance to work on then,soon more resto attempts

mawp

Lurker
Jul 15, 2019
Update of finishing until carnauba and buffing wheels arrives, I am satisfied with the results so far, my pipes are for my own pleasure that's why they do not need to be show detailed, at least to me.
Have a nice day
foro2-600x450.jpg

foro3-450x600.jpg

foro5-600x508.jpg

husky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2019
I think you really improved the looks of that pipe! It looks much more interesting.

mawp

Lurker
Jul 15, 2019
husky & trouttimes thanks for the complements but at this very moment I am ghostbosting it with the salt/alcohol method so not smoking yet but I will let you guys know when it happens, and it will happens soon

mawp

Lurker
Jul 15, 2019
@trouttimes I am glad to say that the pipe smoke great, the bowl is larger than it is look and the wide stem fit nicely in my mouth .

I enjoyed our first encounter

Status
Not open for further replies.