Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scoboypipe

Lurker
Jul 2, 2018
Ontario Canada
Hey all, long time reader, first time poster here. I had my first reasonably successful bowl today so I figured I'd introduce myself here.
I've been having a hard time with a bit of tongue bite and with keeping the pipe lit, likely due to my packing. After a few weeks of perusing the forum and the beginners tips, as well as muttonchop piper's videos on youtube, I was able to finally smoke a bowl down pretty much to the draft hole, burning most of the tobacco on the way down, with a minimum of tongue bite (mostly due to fighting the wind outside).
Even better news for myself was that I was smoking out of an estate Dr. Grabow pipe that had suffered a pretty severe start to a burnout by the time I got it, I whipped up some pipe mud and attempted to fill the gap in the way that was left from reaming out the charred wood, and this was the first time smoking it. Everything went well and I didn't ruin the pipe!
None the less it was a pretty successful session and I'm pretty happy right now.
Anyways, back to the intro-info, I recently picked the pipe back up after being away from it for a few years, having smoked very sporadically before that. I'm 28, from the Great White North (which makes finding some tobacco problematic unfortunately...) I've been smoking some Rattray's Red Lion (Rattray's version of Old Dublin), some Lane-1Q, a Sterling tobacco blend that I can't remember the name of (I ordered it a few years ago and it's been cellaring in a mason jar most of that time) and some Frog Morton (also been cellaring for a few years and now I'm too sad to smoke very often what with the McClelland disappearing :( ). I'm waiting on a 4noggins shipment of some Butternut Burley, Old Joe Krantz, and Star of the East (excited to try some Burleys, plus always in the mood for more Lat!)
Well, that's basically me, I hope to get to know you folks better!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Welcome aboard! Kentucky here, 44 and had a pipe in my jaw since age 17. You new folks are lucky to have so many resources to learn pipe smoking. When I started, it was trial and error with the internet still a way off. Join in on discussions, and ask all you need. There will always be great advice to be found here.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Welcome to the forums. Definitely a great group of pipers always willing to answer questions.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Welcome to the forums! Congrats on your successful bowl, but don't be discouraged if the next few aren't. Pipe smoking is very much trial and error and seeing what works for you.
Ask as many questions as you like and need to.

morgansteele

Can't Leave
Mar 23, 2018
"You new folks are lucky to have so many resources to learn pipe smoking." - Chasing Embers
This is a great point. It was a while before I realized that there were pipe tobaccos outside of my B&M's house blends (which I later learned were Lane blends). Now, can watch videos and order from shops from around the world.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome aboard! If you should decide to invest in a new Dr. Grabow at some point, you might want to look at the Royalton series, and especially the bulldog, a nicely shaped briar pipe with a durable acrylic stem that will last and not require much maintenance other than routine. Royaltons are a few dollars more but will last for decades. It sounds like you are successfully launched with your pipe and leaf.

scoboypipe

Lurker
Jul 2, 2018
Ontario Canada
Thanks to everyone for all the warm welcomes! I look forward to participating in the discussions around here.
@Chasing Embers - you're completely right, the internet is a huge wealth of information when getting into a new hobby like this.
@bnichols23 - Thank you! Mr. Peck is very much a favourite actor of mine
@mso489 - Thank you i will keep that in mind!
And to everyone else, thank you you're all great!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Indeed, welcome! Great white North of---Canada?
And instead of "packing techniques", many have avoided tongue bite, longer and sweeter smokes by drying their tobacco quite a bit before loading.

scoboypipe

Lurker
Jul 2, 2018
Ontario Canada
@jpmcwjr - Great White North of Canada indeed! (Even though I'm at one of the southern most cities). I've been pretty consistently drying my tobacco quite a bit before smoking them and it seemed to help quite a but, ironically enough my smoke ladt night was straight out of the mason had! Mysteries abound with this pipe smoking business.

Status
Not open for further replies.