SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jan 27, 2020
Nope, you're most likely to scorch it if you fill flush with the rim or beyond that. No danger in underfilling as long as it's properly packed; you'll just have a shorter smoke. I underfill many times when I smoke my larger pipes (those with chambers deeper than ~35 mm).

I guess I will get to understand what suits me overtime. My main smoking slot will be when I walk our (girlfriend and my) dog before bed, other considerations in regards to that is what sort of pipe is the easiest to manage and most satisfying in this situation. How long does it take you to finish a bowl with your larger pipes?

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I guess I will get to understand what suits me overtime. My main smoking slot will be when I walk our (girlfriend and my) dog before bed, other considerations in regards to that is what sort of pipe is the easiest to manage and most satisfying in this situation. How long does it take you to finish a bowl with your larger pipes?
Too long! :ROFLMAO:

Longer answer: the dreaded 'it depends'. The cut plays a major role: super fine ribbon like Dunhill/Peterson's Early Morning Pipe burns down fast. I could be done in 35 minutes if smoked in my Brigham volcano (~42 mm deep), but if I were to pack that with a flake, I'd be there for over an hour. Since I can't smoke at home, I have to keep my smokes shorter than 45 minutes; thus, I favour small bowls.

Alas, I recently got a Meerschaum with a humongous bowl: I always fill that one just above half and it entertains me for 30-60 minutes.

Jan 27, 2020
Too long! :ROFLMAO:

Longer answer: the dreaded 'it depends'. The cut plays a major role: super fine ribbon like Dunhill/Peterson's Early Morning Pipe burns down fast. I could be done in 35 minutes if smoked in my Brigham volcano (~42 mm deep), but if I were to pack that with a flake, I'd be there for over an hour. Since I can't smoke at home, I have to keep my smokes shorter than 45 minutes; thus, I favour small bowls.

Alas, I recently got a Meerschaum with a humongous bowl: I always fill that one just above half and it entertains me for 30-60 minutes.

Even 45mins seems like a long step outside depending on the weather, but maybe not being able to smoke at home (I won’t be able to either) adds some other pleasure to the experience. I actually think it will benefit my dog as I will be less inclined to rush through the walk and it being dark out I don’t have to worry about unneeded attention.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Even 45mins seems like a long step outside depending on the weather, but maybe not being able to smoke at home (I won’t be able to either) adds some other pleasure to the experience. I actually think it will benefit my dog as I will be less inclined to rush through the walk and it being dark out I don’t have to worry about unneeded attention.
You bet it can be. As much as I hate summer heat and love winter and snow and cold, I wouldn't stand out in this:

5D2-_MG_6173.jpg

when it's -40 °C and the wind is making it even worse, both in terms of knife-cutting cold and interfering with burn and relighting. Only place I can smoke in the winter is in my car.

Jan 27, 2020
You bet it can be. As much as I hate summer heat and love winter and snow and cold, I wouldn't stand out in this:

View attachment 19976

when it's -40 °C and the wind is making it even worse, both in terms of knife-cutting cold and interfering with burn and relighting. Only place I can smoke in the winter is in my car.

Well a car in winter feels a bit like a cave so I can see the charm in that!

hymnchimney

Might Stick Around
Feb 18, 2020
Morganton, NC
Ive just been trying to sample as much as possible. I started by ordering a tin of Peterson's EMP(which quickly became a favorite), a tin of C&D Awakened Elder(which was a bit rough at first, but certainly has a smokey/earthy flavor I've grown to enjoy a lot), and a tin of Sutliff Barbados Plantation(which has a pleasant sweetness that I've found I rarely crave, but when I do, it scratches the itch).

As one user pointed out, the sampling is the fun part! There's so much I haven't tried yet that I'd like to.

Reactions: puff_not_snuff
Jan 27, 2020
Ive just been trying to sample as much as possible. I started by ordering a tin of Peterson's EMP(which quickly became a favorite), a tin of C&D Awakened Elder(which was a bit rough at first, but certainly has a smokey/earthy flavor I've grown to enjoy a lot), and a tin of Sutliff Barbados Plantation(which has a pleasant sweetness that I've found I rarely crave, but when I do, it scratches the itch).

As one user pointed out, the sampling is the fun part! There's so much I haven't tried yet that I'd like to.

Yes absolutely but I’m a bit like a kid in a candy store, I feel like if I have too much on hand I won’t get to know what I have in a real sense in these early days. I have three blends now and think I will just add three more for the near term, one more aromatics, one plug and not sure on the third yet.

maulragoth

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 30, 2018
Anyway—just wanted some feedback, that is if SG’s Balkan Flake would be a suitable starter. Having liked some of their snuffs and seeing many of their other pipe tobaccos out of stock in the US, I settled on this for the moment...
If possible, pick a dominant Virgina, Burley, Latakia and compare what you like. I enjoy them all but they are very very different. Pouch of 5 Brothers, 2oz Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake, and 2oz Arango Balkan Supreme would be a good way to cover quite a bit of variance on the cheap. Especially with Internation Pipe Smoking Day sales coming in a day or so.

If I was plunging in with with 3 tins in the same idea as above with a bit more cost, I would go with a Tin of GL Pease Gaslight, pouch of 5 Brothers, and then a 2 oz PS LNF unless you can get a tin of Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake (often sold out)

Reactions: puff_not_snuff

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I'd say start by getting an ounce each of a variety of blends, a number of websites do per ounces. Va/Pers, Va/Burs, Virginias, Latakia, Turkish leaf, or maybe Aromatics. See what you like and don't like and then move on from there.

Personally, I'm a fan of SG's Balkan Flake. If you're into latakia it's got a delicious earthy sweetness to it.

Ditto.