First Pipe suggestion ? Budget around $100 or below Thanks!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeboj

Lurker
Jan 9, 2014
Hi there, I did my first pipe smoking last week and I really loving it.

For the moment, I'm looking for my first new pipe. As a college student I don't have much for the budget, around $100 or below (Living in Hong Kong and I have to pay extra for the shipping as well)

I've read some in the forum. I kind of liking the Savinelli and the Peterson

Any suggestions?
Thanks a lot

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Howdy joeboj,
You will probably receive a lot of good recommendations from the members here. $100 can get a solid estate pipe on eBay if you look hard enough. If you can find a new pipe in the brands you mentioned above in the $100 range then you are probably going to be okay, too.
Happy hunting!
Pipestud

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Regardless of what some might tell you, I believe you can get a decent pipe for $100. I would caution about going the estate route. They do offer the best value, but if you're just starting out, it's easy to get burned.
I am a big fan of Peterson and Savinelli, but for the $100 range, I would recommend Stanwell, esp the ones made in Denmark (tho I hear the Italian made ones are good too). Check out some here:
http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/stanwell/index.cfm
When it comes to value pipes, I think Stanwell does it better than most.

namuna

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2013
I'd recommend a Peterson System Pipe, WITH the p-lip stem:

http://www.pipedivan.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_13_24
Ordering such a pipe from a UK site, even with International shipping should keep you in your price range as well. A Peterson "System" pipe is meant to burn the tobacco cooler and the p-lip stem helps with tongue bite, both are great things for the newly initiated pipers.
If you DO get one, I'd HIGHLY recommend cleaning out any bowl coatings on arrival and start from fresh briar!
Good luck and welcome!

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Peterson, Nording, Stanwell, Savinelli, and Butz-Choquin can all be had for $100 or less and they're all great pipes. But my suggestion to you would be to look at Nording's "Eriksen" line of pipes, they can be had for $55 or less and they're great smokers and very well built. Then with your remaining money, buy an MM cob (less than $10) and spend the rest on tobacco.
Welcome aboard, hope this helps!

Dan

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
I would definitely suggest looking at a corn cob pipe. With your budget you could easily obtain one for as Dan says under $10. Even with shippng to Hong Kong this would still leave you plenty of money within your budget to pick up an inexpensive briar or estate pipe and still leave you some money for the important stuff, the tobacco you're going to want to smoke in it. Cobs, while not as elegant or sophisticated looking as briars, are great smokers and require no break-in period. I'd shy away from the Chinese cobs. I haven't tried one of the Chinese cobs myself, but from what other members have posted about them on this forum, they just don't have anywhere near the quality or durability of the cob pipes made here in the States. You can't go wrong with one of our cob pipes (Old Dominion) or a MM cob.

PlanxtyPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2013
I'll second the suggestion of a Peterson System pipe. My first "good" pipe was a Peterson System Standard 302 estate pipe I bought for $50. It's still my best smoking pipe that I paid less than $100 for. They look fantastic and Peterson is a "classic" name in the piping world for well made pipes at a good price point.
Alternatively, I'd also highly recommend the Savinelli Duca Carlo series. Beautiful pipes and very inexpensive...fantastic way to start. You have the option of using a balsa filter if you desire with the Savinelli Duca Carlo as they ship with filters. Or you can take the filter out. Personally I took mine out, but it's nice to have options and versatility in a first pipe!

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Stanwell, definitely, and get a nice new pipe if you want, I have one peterson but it's not a system pipe and I hear people either love them or hate them, plus apparently there's alot of quality issues right now and I assume that would be with their lower end pipes. That's why I'd just go with a trusty Stanwell, If you're asking for advice on a good pipe around 100$ you're willing to spend I wouldn't go with a cob. Here's a hong kong pipe club I'd just contact though to be honest. http://www.pipeclubs.com/index.php?goTo=95

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
I think all the suggestions are great - Peterson Systems, Stanwell, Savinelli's all are great. The cob pipe is also a good beginner pipe and it would allow you to buy a lot of tobacco to sample as well, plus the general assortment of tools.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
All of the "major" pipe companies will have pipes in that budget. Peterson, Savinelli, Stanwell, BC, Chacom, Brigham, etc.... I say got to your local B+M and look through the pipes. Pick one that appeals to your eye, feels good in your hand, etc. No matter how good a pipe smokes, if you think it looks and feels like crap, your not gonna be happy smoking it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I just bought a Stanwell for under $100 and am greatly pleased. It is a new pipe, and I'm sure it was

made in Italy, not Denmark, but the fit and finish, and appearance, are top rate.
My second choice for you would be a non-filtered Savenelli, such as their Oscar Lucite series.
Not to dis my fellow Forums members at all, but I feel that Peterson systems pipes and their P-Lips

are somewhat specialty items for a more experienced pipe smoker. Some like them, some don't.

I have one P-Lip which I enjoy, but I would not get more. There are good Peterson pipes available

new, non-system pipes with fishtail stems, that would also be good for you starting out, at under

$100, if you want a Peterson.
Pipes are pretty subjective, so read up and make your own decision.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Pete and Savs? Really? maybe its just me but i didn't have a great experience with either of those brands. Perhaps i wasn't experienced enough at the time as stated by Mso489 but still i found lots of other makes more enjoyable for under 100$.

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
I'm unable to offer much advice. All my pipes are basket pipes, three Dr. Grabows, an estate Savinelli, an Eriksen, and a new Golden Gate bulldog my girlfriend got me for Christmas.
With that said, I guess I'd recommend an Eriksen- I think they sell for around $40. Mine never gets hot, and always smokes dry. I think they're for sale at 4noggins, but I could be wrong.
I do want to say to the Old Dominion fellow, "Virginiacob", that recommending a Missouri Meerschaum along with your folks' pipes, is one hell of a classy move.

lostandfound

Sep 30, 2011
i found lots of other makes more enjoyable for under 100$.
Really smokey? Come on bro... If you're going to make a statement like that, you should probably mention which makes you found to be more enjoyable, right?

pipeherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2013
I have never had a bad smoke from any of my three petersons... Just putting that out there to jump in on the Peterson defence.
I wish I had bought a System for my first pipe, thats jumping in at the right end. Perhaps if you want a cheaper piece of briar, you could go for a Parker of London.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
No I don't wanna knock Pete and Sav lots of smokers have had excellent experiences with them, but the Plip and system pipes and filtered savs I found at least require an experienced smoker who knows how to take sips slowly. The ones I suggested are bullet proof in the fact that they work great in a stuff and puff method.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Welcome to the forum Joe. My suggestion would be this pipe.

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/savinelli/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=138489
My first pipe was a Savinelli and it made me appreciate the tobacco I was smoking. It burned cool and dry and did not gurgle. I believe that getting a good pipe first helps to keep you in the hobby. If you start with a pipe that burns hot, gurgles and smokes badly, the chances of you sticking with pipe smoking are much less. There are tons of really good pipes for 100.00 that will perform very nicely for you. Good luck.

lostandfound

Sep 30, 2011
I wasn't denying that there are pipes out there for less than $100, that are comparable to the aforementioned, just that our new friend might want to know what they are. :lol:
If you want a fancy Danish design, Neerup pipes sell on average, for a little over $100. Not exactly what you asked for, but hey, maybe a Neerup is more your style, and you spend a little more. Maybe not.
Visiting pipesandcigars.com's $25 to (insert appropriate dollar amount here. I can't remember.), might be advantageous. Although, I'm not sure that it was included in the website's renovation.

dj11

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 12, 2013
After returning to smoking a pipe after a 17 year absence I have purchased a couple of Savinelli's, a Peterson, two Stanwell's, a BC and, most recently, a Brigham. All are very good. I love the Savinelli's and was pleasantly surprised at Brigham. Until the Brigham arrived I would have put the Savinelli's at #1 but now they are a very, very close second behind the Brigham Boardroom. Good Luck and let us know what you decide to go with.

Status
Not open for further replies.