PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

amunhotep4th

Lurker
Feb 22, 2018
Today I smoked a newly purchased corn cob pipe in 17 years. I used a pipe tobacco which I more than likely started with called Borkum Riff original blend. The result was more or less great but I noticed that I'd forgotten some of my pipe smoking etiquette.I also smoked it with 2 ounces of Merlot wine on my front patio in complete relaxation! I decided to have that smoke on my patio away from my apartment, from my cat Tom and my ancient computer.
I began smoking a pipe now and then up until I was drafted into the military in 1968 & after boot camp my pipe smoking dramatically declined. I first started with Borkum Riff in the early pipe smoking days and graduated later to the wonderful Balkan Sobranie. My military career ended in 1992 when I retired after serving 24 years,
I smoked a pipe off and on from there to about 1994 when I had a CVA (stroke). It was not until later I picked up pipe smoking until somewhat later. Then again not until decades later today.
My first pipe was not bad and brought back old memories. I fully intend to slowly graduate to other pipe tobacco blends in the near future. I fully intend to investigate tobaccos similar to Balkan Sobranie in the near future.
I now will content myself this late afternoon to bask in the glow of my smoke and in conjunction with the wonderful essence of Merlot which I also have not had in decades.
I appreciate your comments please!

johnsteam86

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 1, 2018
Welcome back. What model of corn cob did you decide on when contemplating returning to pipes?

amunhotep4th

Lurker
Feb 22, 2018
A Missouri Meerschaum purchased at a Walgreens across the street from my apartment complex which I've lived in for 22 years. Later I purchased another similar corn cob from an online dealer.
I've always preferred pipes which are very plain and having a straight length. I generally do not like highly ornate pipes with few exceptions. The more "generic" style pipes are easier to clean and maintain and do fit my rather boring personality.
I've always heard that certain wines do help to complete the essence of the smoke. I've always liked wine and up until today had not had alcohol since before 2004. My primary care physician is aware of my choices on alcohol and pipe smoking and actually somewhat encourages wine drinking in very reasonable amounts of red wine. The pipe smoking my PCP made very few comments. I smoked cigarettes for 38 years and abruptly quit in 2004 when I had a CVA (stroke). I've not had a cigarette since 2004 and never intend to restart under any conditions.
This return is not without its hazards as I well know but I believe in extreme moderation I can balance it with the health risks. naturally this is highly a personal choice on my part.
BTW - - - I am 72 years old. I intend to only drink wine in accordance with the suggestion s of my PCP and never indulge myself in my favorite alcohol - a Bombay Sapphire Martini!

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
Life is about balance and I firmly believe a little of what you enjoy does you no harm at all. Welcome to the forums.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome aboard! I think you're wise to keep "all things in moderation," to support your health. However, a few indulgences will brighten your life. I joined the military, the Navy, in 1968 as well, to avoid the draft as it were. I am also a person who keeps a cat, or cats in my case. My family calls me a cat magnet. At a dinner party recently, the more feisty of the hosts' cats jumped in my lap, kissed me on the mouth, nibbled my ear, and licked my hair. The other guests had no idea I was so attractive. (I'm kind of introverted so don't stare at cats, which they like, and I have a light touch with them, don't grab them, which they also approve of.) My late wife, and current wife were/are cat (and dog) lovers so that works. Take good care of your health, and enjoy a little pipe smoking too. For over-the-counter brands, I like Sir Water Raleigh Aromatic, which is burley, Virginia as a condiment, and three liqueurs as flavoring. Give you cat Tom a pat for me. Tell him it is from someone who doesn't stare.

midwestpipesmoker70

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2011
IL
Nice to meet you and welcome. A sincere thank you for your dedicated service. If I had to give up all "vices" but one I would choose the pipe. I very much enjoy wine with a pipe. To me many blend styles go with wine. Enjoy and cheers.

amunhotep4th

Lurker
Feb 22, 2018
Thanks everyone for the good words and encouragement. I plan on doing everything in total moderation but as for the martini I am going to pass on that since in a discussion with my Primary Care Physician I was told that since I take quite a few medicines that it is inadvisable to push my luck with alcohol and since hard liquor is "high octane" I don't need to mess things up. Already I was told to avoid 2 of my meds which I take on occasion as needed because that they do not mix with alcohol at all. With the wine I am mostly limiting myself to wines containing an average amount of alcohol, about 11 to 12%. Fortified wines, like Port, generally have an alcohol content of 18%. While I do like Tawny port I feel the need to drink this type of wine with more than usual caution. Other fortified wines are vermouth (both dry and sweet) and Sherry plus a few others. Oh and one other wine I was accidentally able to get and have a liquor store order foe me is a wine made in Portugal called Mateus. I first was introduced to it in the mid to late 60s. It is wonderful wine! :) In the late 80s I was fortunate to be stationed in an island chain owned by Portugal called the Azores. For that short stay there I was able to enjoy Mateus to my utmost contentment.

amunhotep4th

Lurker
Feb 22, 2018
Since my last posting I've had the pleasure of trying and experimenting with at least a dozen different pipe tobaccos. some were very pleasing and remarkable but others were a dismal failure. I've firmly decided that I am still very fond of the "English/Balkan" pipe tobaccos. Those blends hold a special richness which I've not found in most other tobaccos. Of special note is that one non-British blends still remained a hit and that was a match of the old Flying Dutchman.
Sadly some of the tobaccos and blends that have been suggested are not available. Perhaps some of them will eventually become available in the near future. some may not be all that lucky but I will keep trying new and different blends in my quest of blends which I can and will enjoy. One can never have too many favorites I believe.

artificialme

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2018
Everything we do is okay as long as we do in moderation. It was nice reading your experiences in pipe smoking. Hope it will do you well.
Keep it up and be well :)

Status
Not open for further replies.