PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Also, I felt like I got gouged pretty hard on shipping... but I ordered the pipe late last night, and as of right now it says it’s scheduling for delivery Wednesday morning. Two days from now. From Italy to Georgia, USA. If it shows up within their timeline I’ll be floored.

Reactions: danimalia

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Also, I felt like I got gouged pretty hard on shipping... but I ordered the pipe late last night, and as of right now it says it’s scheduling for delivery Wednesday morning. Two days from now. From Italy to Georgia, USA. If it shows up within their timeline I’ll be floored.
From what I've read the big difference is the Italian distributor (Mario Lubinsky) puts a lot of care into curating the selections for his (the Italian) market. So there are some very nice Italy-exclusives lines and also Italy gets a lot of high grades in other lines as well. I believe Wicklows are one example of an exclusive Italy-market line, at least the specific Wicklow version you bought.

Shipping from the Italian sites is usually pretty dear, but it's probably worth the added expense for avoiding standard mail. I love the USPS and prefer them for domestic shipping, but it sounds like standard mail from Italy can be slow.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I love my Peterson shape 53 Lovat. I've dedicated mine to Lakelands and War Horse, but have been thinking of getting another. It's a great shape - the saddle bit makes it easy to clinch, but has a good-sized bowl.

Yours is a looker!

Reactions: rushx9 and mtwaller

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'll try to share a little of my Peterson luck with you, so this will be an excellent pipe. I've just been graced with no quality control problems, but I feel for those who have.

Reactions: mtwaller

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Thanks, gang! I am overly fond of the Lovat shape. Fingers crossed that this one is a flawless smoker, and one I’ll keep forever.

@danimalia you’ve been a wealth of knowledge on this subject, I appreciate all of your input!

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
@danimalia would I be correct in assuming that the Hunter and Golfer lines are also exclusively for the Italian market? I only see them on Italian sites. Those chubby little bastards pique my interest, I must admit.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
And to echo what @danimalia said, there are a fair amount of nice Royal Irish, Rosslare, and Kapp Royal’s on the Italian sites... if anyone is looking for something unique. Loads of lovely natural finish Pete’s for reasonable sticker prices, many of which seem to be scarce here in the states in terms of overall finish/shape combination.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
@danimalia would I be correct in assuming that the Hunter and Golfer lines are also exclusively for the Italian market? I only see them on Italian sites. Those chubby little bastards pique my interest, I must admit.
Some of those lines do occasionally make their way to the American market. I have an 03 Wicklow sandblast that was purchased from smokingpipes several years ago. I also have an Outdoor series that I got from them around the same time.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
@danimalia that is excellent to hear. Curious as to what the difference would be in Italian market pipes vs otherwise. I wonder if some of their Italian retailers request different or more rigorous QC processes or something?
He hand picks all his stock. You’ll often notice even his standard systems have stunning grain.

Reactions: mtwaller and rushx9
Status
Not open for further replies.