PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bphilli75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2013
I've tried Anniversary Kake, Classic Burley Kake and BlackHouse. I very much enjoy them all. Fine quality, forgiving on the bite and very reasonably priced. Good stuff.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I really enjoy Burley Kake. I have Marble Kake as well, but find it a bit boring. How does Anniversary Kake compare to Marble Kake?

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Anniversary Kake is kind of a crumble cake version of a navy flake. It's a medley of sweet Virginias and 15% Perique, pressed with a bit of rum and sliced.
Russ

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
I love this forum. Not many places can you ask a question about a specific blend, and have the actual blender answer your question. :clap:

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Russ' blends have many to recommend them. But there are so many Pease blends that I would buy first.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Anni Cake is a good smoke with a...warmer or sweeter Perique experience than just a "straight pepper" taste.
Marble Cake had a subtle candied orange/lemon sweetness when sipped on lightly. When I pulled hard, I lost it.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
While Peases's blends are exceptional, I find that Hearth and Home covers a much broader range, with more nuanced divisions within that range. As the OP said, you are not going to love every blend that Russ makes. That's not his goal. His goal is to make a palate of offerings wherein any pipe smoker can find a bevy of blends that are keepers. In doing so, Russ has created many classics, but there are some great sleepers in there, too.
It dawns on me that I've probably only sampled 20% of what Russ has created. I need to fix that.
Here's an idea Russ: How about P&C offering a killer package deal on a tin of every single H&H blend? You could call it "The Whole Shebang" or "Lock, Stock and Barrel". Throw in a few Missouri Meershaums and a pack of pipe cleaners and you have one hell of a Christmas gift set. Include a sales sheet/narrative guide to the entire line, with a promo for the PM forum. The follow-up thread here would be fantastic.
Then again, you've probably done this already.

moses

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 12, 2013
Biddeford
+1 Magnum Opus and Anni Kake. Probably my two favorites from H&H. But VA Spice, AJ's, Black House, Larry's, and Ambassador's are no slouches either. Love me some Hearth & Home! :puffy:

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I love the H&H blends ... tried so far:
Anni Cake

Classic Burley Cake

Louisiana Red

AJ's Vaper

Virginia Spice

Sunjammer

Ambassador's Blend

Magnum O!

Beverwyck

BlackHouse

WhiteKnight

Stogie

Old Companion
I may be forgetting one or two! :)

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Holy hell.
A three year old thread gets resurrected and takes off like a striped ass ape.
I do love this place.
Woods, a package "Lock, Stock and Barrel" deal might be a bit cumbersome and expensive for most smokers - even taking into account H&H's already low prices. However, I'd certainly jump on a tin sampler of every English/Balkan they produce. (I cellar Larry's Blend, MO, BH and the yet unmentioned 10 to Midnight, but I still haven't tried Fusileer's Ration.) Consequently, I'd assume other pipers, would be all over the VAs and VaPers and Burleys like a cheap suit.
Also, this late in September I'd bet their plans for the 2014 Christmas catalog have already gone to bed. A smaller, more nimble company could respond and adapt. But with a larger entity like P&C, it would probably be easier to steer the Titanic away from the iceberg.
I do love your ideas though, Woods. They're brilliant. And, Russ? Every business should have a face like you out there in the trenches. Companies succeed when they listen to their clients and you've always done a yeoman's job at that.
Fnord

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I've been spending more time with the Marble Kake, and I took the advice of the poster above to use a smaller bowl, and what a difference. My experience in medium to large bowls was that the taste was just a bit flat. In a smaller bowl, I get a nicer rounder taste, not necessarily sweeter but deeper. I've been enjoying it so much I'm almost done with my only tin. I better do something about that, and I guess I'll have to try Anniversary Kake as well.

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
I love,love Magnum Opus and Anni Kake. I think WhiteKnight might turn out to be my favorite.

zenforest

Lurker
Jan 4, 2013
Recently tried Namaste. Really enjoyed it ! Smokey Latakia flavor followed by citrus/fruity taste I presume from the Orientals and Virginia. Nice taste

zenforest

Lurker
Jan 4, 2013
I just ordered and received more of the Namaste, but also tried the Armada blend. Oh man. Just tried Armada for the 1st time ......and it was nice ! Nice creamy/smokey initial taste of Latakia, followed up by some dark fruitiness after taste I am yet able to describe after just one bowl. Perhaps a taste of fig ??? I have 8oz of the blend to get to the bottom of it !
I smoked a big bowl from my Corn Cob General sitting outside procrastinating about clearing the last of the Autumn Leaves from my gutters. Then loaded another bowl in my Nording Briar. Then watched the Patriots beat Detroit ! (Never got around to the gutters :(
I cant fully explain Armada yet, but 1st impression compared to Namaste, is that the initial KICK of Latakia present in Namaste, while there, might be a bit less pronounced in Armada, and while the same might be true of that fruity taste I described, while the bright citrus taste of the Namaste quickly jumps in after the smokey Latakia, the dark fruity taste that kicks in with Armada introduces it self more subtly, but really sticks around.
So far I am LOVING both blends, and looking forward to trying more.
I also really appreciate the price point with these blends that enables me to try some quality different blends at a price that allows me to get some volume of quality tobacco as well !
I will be trying some other H&H blends for sure.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I have a tin of all six of the newest H&H Marquee blends coming. I haven't tried any of them previously but am looking forward to it. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.