First Impressions: Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired & Escudo Navy Flake (and a Quick Question)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lawyer66

Can't Leave
Nov 21, 2020
Grand Cayman
Well, let me start off by saying I got the first 6 tobaccos of what I would consider a large order, today. I made a promise to myself that I was going to start with something non-aromatic. I am so glad that I did. Here are my thoughts

Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired:

What a rich smelling tin note this offered. I have to agree with StuffnThings from the YTPC in that this smells like BBQ sauce with vinegar. The flakes are very well presented, uniform in shape, and arrived moist enough to smoke out of the tin, though some would rather dry them. In fact, I probably will next time just to see the difference in flavor. Nice rich dark brown color on the flakes with a few lighter brown streaks in there which must be the flue-cured Virginia. This was a different kind of smoke for me. But I can vividly remember the sour and tangy flavors. The room note was very strong, but I didn't mind, it complemented the tobacco. The contrast with this and a regular aromatic helped me appreciate the overall diversity of pipe tobacco blends even more. This is on the richer side, but it was deliciously intriguing. I will definitely be smoking some again before the weekend is out.

Escudo Navy Flake:

The tin note on this let me know it was a lighter mixture right off the bat. I picked up some hay and a subtle deeper flavor that I can't currently put my finger on (it may be the perique). The coins are also beautifully presented in this blend. They were a lighter brown with dark streaks here and there. This one was definitely a lighter smoke. I picked up some hay flavors and a bit of honeydew, which was nice. It was a lighter smoke and I really liked the slightly sweet taste. The room note wasn't bad, not as tangy and sour as the previous blend, but it was bearable. Typically I would have associated Virginia tobacco with cigarettes, as I used to smoke them. However, this one was different. I believe another bowl of this is due before the weekend closes as well.

All-in-all, I am very surprised with the flavors both blends offered even though there is no noticeable casing. I am excited to continue exploring non-aromatic blends. But I will definitely be having a bowl of autumn evening tomorrow.

Quick question, I have some brand new (unused) mason jars specifically for storing tobacco. How soon should I store my flake and ribbon cut blends in them after breaking the seal on my tins?

I look forward to hearing from you all.

Magpiety

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2019
Kansas City
Just to show a flip side--I rarely transfer tinned tobaccos into jars unless it's an 8oz tin. I jar it up if it's bulk. If I was going to leave a tin for more than a couple of months after opening, I might jar it up then.

Mainly it's because I finish most tins within a couple of weeks, but I also just like packing it from the tin for some reason.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Well, let me start off by saying I got the first 6 tobaccos of what I would consider a large order, today. I made a promise to myself that I was going to start with something non-aromatic. I am so glad that I did. Here are my thoughts

Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired:

What a rich smelling tin note this offered. I have to agree with StuffnThings from the YTPC in that this smells like BBQ sauce with vinegar. The flakes are very well presented, uniform in shape, and arrived moist enough to smoke out of the tin, though some would rather dry them. In fact, I probably will next time just to see the difference in flavor. Nice rich dark brown color on the flakes with a few lighter brown streaks in there which must be the flue-cured Virginia. This was a different kind of smoke for me. But I can vividly remember the sour and tangy flavors. The room note was very strong, but I didn't mind, it complemented the tobacco. The contrast with this and a regular aromatic helped me appreciate the overall diversity of pipe tobacco blends even more. This is on the richer side, but it was deliciously intriguing. I will definitely be smoking some again before the weekend is out.

Escudo Navy Flake:

The tin note on this let me know it was a lighter mixture right off the bat. I picked up some hay and a subtle deeper flavor that I can't currently put my finger on (it may be the perique). The coins are also beautifully presented in this blend. They were a lighter brown with dark streaks here and there. This one was definitely a lighter smoke. I picked up some hay flavors and a bit of honeydew, which was nice. It was a lighter smoke and I really liked the slightly sweet taste. The room note wasn't bad, not as tangy and sour as the previous blend, but it was bearable. Typically I would have associated Virginia tobacco with cigarettes, as I used to smoke them. However, this one was different. I believe another bowl of this is due before the weekend closes as well.

All-in-all, I am very surprised with the flavors both blends offered even though there is no noticeable casing. I am excited to continue exploring non-aromatic blends. But I will definitely be having a bowl of autumn evening tomorrow.

Quick question, I have some brand new (unused) mason jars specifically for storing tobacco. How soon should I store my flake and ribbon cut blends in them after breaking the seal on my tins?

I look forward to hearing from you all.
I leave the flakes in the tins. Have not had anything in a round tin dry out. As for anything in a square tin, just keep an eye on it and if they start to dry out, throw the rest in a jar. That's my MO.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
Nice write-ups! I have to say that I did not enjoy ODF when I first tried it a few months ago. It's still sitting in a jar on a shelf, so maybe it's time to give it a second shot.

Escudo is one of the gold standard VaPers, and it was one of the smokes that introduced me to the genre, and helped me teach myself how to enjoy both flakes and Virginias.

Also, as others have said, for me, almost invariably once I open a tin it goes straight in a jar. There are places online where you can print out the tin art in a format that works for jars, but I usually just stick a label on the jar with the blending house, the blend name, the amount I am putting in the jar, and both the production date (if known) as well as the date I am jarring it.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Great to hear you've found some new blends you like.

I transfer any tobacco straight over from the tin into a mason jar, even before packing a bowl to smoke. The sooner the better I reckon for long term storage.
I agree even though I usually don't jar them at all. The thing is there is nothing that jarring will do that is negative where as in a popped tin you're starting the count down to too dry. And each day you wait is one less day towards too late. That's how I look at it. There are only a few tins I jar because I really like them and try to smoke my favorites as treats where a lot of others such as near favorites I like only smoking through a few tins at a time. So they aren't around long enough to matter.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Nice write-ups! I have to say that I did not enjoy ODF when I first tried it a few months ago. It's still sitting in a jar on a shelf, so maybe it's time to give it a second shot.

Escudo is one of the gold standard VaPers, and it was one of the smokes that introduced me to the genre, and helped me teach myself how to enjoy both flakes and Virginias.

Also, as others have said, for me, almost invariably once I open a tin it goes straight in a jar. There are places online where you can print out the tin art in a format that works for jars, but I usually just stick a label on the jar with the blending house, the blend name, the amount I am putting in the jar, and both the production date (if known) as well as the date I am jarring it.
I know not everyone agrees but I find Escudo a consistently enjoyable smoke. When I pop a tin of it I almost always end up smoking through it really fast and finding it great every time.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
I know not everyone agrees but I find Escudo a consistently enjoyable smoke. When I pop a tin of it I almost always end up smoking through it really fast and finding it great every time.
Escudo has gotten a bit of a bad rep because some of the older guys have said it is not as good as it used to be.

I still think it is as solid as ever, but there seem to be some new VaPer blends that are more the flavour of the month at the moment.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Escudo has gotten a bit of a bad rep because some of the older guys have said it is not as good as it used to be.

I still think it is as solid as ever, but there seem to be some new VaPer blends that are more the flavour of the month at the moment.
everything used to be better, because they were younger once and had more taste buds ;)

Swampy16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2020
I leave the flakes in the tins. Have not had anything in a round tin dry out. As for anything in a square tin, just keep an eye on it and if they start to dry out, throw the rest in a jar. That's my MO.
What about unopened square tins?

Reactions: ofafeather

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
I have a few that I know I'm opening in the next few months, so I just check them every couple weeks by trying to open them. Since they're still sealed, I assume the vacuum is still at play and they should be good (I hope!).

If any doubt, heat seal them in mylar.
yeah just check them if you can open it by hand the seal has failed.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Escudo is a fairly “mild” VaPer as far as I’m concerned. I like and when the mood strikes me I’ll fill up a bowl.

There are quite a number of VaPers on the market. One of my favorites is WCC’s Old Dominion. One I blend myself is SRV, of which I need to throw some more together... It benefits from some rest after I blend the components.WCC Simply Red, PS 311 Perique and a pinch of C&D Black Cavendish.

Might as well so that right now... Then I’ll fill up a bowl of Escudo.

Status
Not open for further replies.