PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tg51

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2017
Fort Polk, LA
I recently received an opened tin of Penny Farthing so I smoked it very dry. The first couple puffs had the powerful zing of the Perique. After that the Virginia's and Perique were trading turns in the spotlight. When I increased my pace a little I found that the bready, earthy taste of the Virginia came to the forefront. When I slowed down my pace to almost a standstill I was greeted by a delicious piquant fruitiness from the Perique. Either my pallet did not pick up on the dark fired or it was too deep in the support for me to notice. All in all a delicious Va/Per.

stbruno70

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2013
It's grand stuff. As it is a finely cut shag, I find I have to smoke it slowly or I'll hot box it. We should all smoke slowly, but some blends are so tasty that I find I can puff too enthusiastically. Penny Farthing should age well and I am stockpiling it.

fightnhampster

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
I am a big fan. It has a great flavor and I like the change of pace that the cut brings.

I too plan on purchasing many tins to cellar.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I got to try this at a recent pipe club meeting and really enjoyed it. I got a much longer and more satisfying smoke than I was expecting from a shag.

I should buy some but I'm out of nooks and crannies in which to hide boxes of tobacco... ?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I find when smoking shags it helps to pack it the way a new piper smoke packs ribbons. In fact you should actually have to fight for the first puff or two. Mileage may vary. It increases the smoke time and shag packed really what seems too tight makes it smoke a little more like ribbon that doesn't go out so fast. The key word is cram, you want to cram the shag into the bowl with some force (compared to a ribbon). Or just read advice on how to pack broken flake and do the opposite.

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
I recently received an opened tin of Penny Farthing so I smoked it very dry. The first couple puffs had the powerful zing of the Perique. After that the Virginia's and Perique were trading turns in the spotlight. When I increased my pace a little I found that the bready, earthy taste of the Virginia came to the forefront. When I slowed down my pace to almost a standstill I was greeted by a delicious piquant fruitiness from the Perique. Either my pallet did not pick up on the dark fired or it was too deep in the support for me to notice. All in all a delicious Va/Per.
Nice review. Short, to the point and packed with pertinent information !

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Interesting in flavor and cut. Not a top 10 for me but nice to have in the rotation.

IME most GLP blends are a lot better after 6 months in the tin, and then about a week after it’s been opened and gotten some air. Sharp edges diminish markedly and the flavors are usually more interesting and balanced. My unopened tins are just about at 6 months now. Perfect opportunity to side by side with the tin I’ve had open since June.
Another month ...

rdoss16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2019
been meaning to try this one. if anyone has a sample they wanna ship me id gladly trade bowl for bowl. never had a shag cut before.

Reactions: tg51
Status
Not open for further replies.