PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinsel

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
So I've been a "daily pipe smoker" for a little over a year now and have amassed a collection of around 30 pipes at this point. I've got a wide array of MM cobs, 2 meerschaums, and briars in all shapes and sizes ranging from basket pipes up to artisan pipes.
Yesterday I got my very first Dr. Grabow pipe. I was at Walgreens and spotted a "Grand Duke" behind the counter on the bottom shelf. $33 which is quite a bit higher than what you can get them for online, but I thought "why not" and bought it on impulse anyway. People seem to be just as attached to their Grabows as they are to their MM Cobs, and I love MM cobs so it seemed up my alley.
First impressions: Seems surprisingly well made for a "cheap" pipe. Snug fit between mortise and tenon, but not so snug that it makes it difficult to remove. Where the stem and shank meet, everything is nice and flush. No visible gap between the two (which has slowly become a pet peeve of mine on pipes). Bowl is a little smaller than I normally like, but holds a decent amount of leaf. It's lightweight and easy to clench. Rusticated finish is kind of ugly, but this is a workin' man's pipe anyways, not a show piece, right?
First smoke: Loaded it up with Orlik Golden Sliced. The pipe is "pre-smoked" so there's no need to worry about break in here. Good first smoke, not great. Draw was a little too tight for my liking. My OGS didn't quite sing for me the way it normally does. But the smoke was dry and cool. Bowl walls got a little warm, but I kept my pace slow and it didn't get hot despite the relatively thin walls. No problems in the clench. Also the bit is nice and wide, which is an added bonus for me.
After my first smoke I removed and discarded the filter. For my second outing with the pipe I smoked it "wide open", with no filter in place.
Second Smoke: Loaded the pipe with dunhill flake. It held about 3/4 of a flake, lightly rubbed out. This is a little annoying since I usually like my pipes to hold an entire flake so I don't have little leftover bits hanging out in the tin. Oh well, no big deal. I have other pipes that have room to spare after putting in 1 flake and will gladly accept the scraps that the Grabow leaves behind. Second smoke went much better. I'm definitely going to be smoking my Grabow "wide open" from now on. The dunnhill flake didn't quite flourish in this pipe the way it does in some of my others, but it was still very tasty. Still cool and dry. No need to run cleaners though the pipe during the smoke to absorb the moisture. No gurgles at all.
Third Smoke: More OGS this time. Without the filter my OGS is tasting much better in this pipe. During this bowl, I started speeding up my cadence to see if it would get hot when pushed and if it would gurgle. It did not. This little pipe kept on providing an cool pleasant smoke even when I abused it a little. I'm starting to get impressed with it. I've become really comfortable with the pipe now. It's starting to feel like an old friend
Fourth smoke: Wessex Campaign Dark Flake. Now THIS blend really seemed to POP in this pipe. Nice rich flavor. Pipe is still smoking great. I think me and this pipe will be good friends for a long, long time.
The pipe continues to smoke great. I'm a huge fan of MM cobs for their cheap price and excellent smoking characteristics, but I was truly surpised that such a low priced brair could smoke so well. It's never gonna be my favorite pipe, but it's definitely going to be in the rotation and it will see a ton of use in years to come. Next time I see a Dr. Grabow pipe sitting on a store shelf, I'm not going to hesitate in the SLIGHTEST to throw down money to take it home.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Good review, and I'm glad you're enjoying your Grabow. I have upwards of a dozen, and love them all except one.
I have developed an "intake" routine for my Grabows. Step 1: Use isopropyl alcohol on a rag to wipe out the black bowl coating. Step 2: Use a 5/32" drill bit to make sure the airway diameter is where I like it. Step 3: Pitch the paper filter and replace it with a Savinelli 6mm balsa (I'm really starting to love those things!). These three easy steps give me a pipe worth far more than the $30 retail price.
Walgreens only seems to sell the Grand Duke model these days, and they do tend to run on the smallish bowl size. If you keep an eye out, you will find ones that are significantly larger, as well as some pretty diverse styles that crop up from time to time. In addition to the simple apple/billiard they seem to always have, I have scored a Zulu with a pretty large bowl, and a nice medium-bowled rusticated billiard with a thick aluminum spacer on the stem.
It is nice to be able to inspect them in the blister pack instead of buying them blindly online. Grabow has, admittedly, had some QC issues in the last few years, and there are things to watch out for. If you are ever inclined to buy one of the larger shape Grabows, such as a Freehand or bulldog, I would recommend WV Smokeshop. They show a very good photo of the actual pipe you are buying, not just a generic representation. Anyway, enjoy!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Tried one of the newer Grabows not too long ago, and the slot in the metal tenon shredded the mortise. Not sure what that was about, but still love my older ones.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Glad your Grand Duke is treating you right ! The Grabows made today are not "pre-smoked" and haven't been for several years. They have a bowl coating. If yours is a "pre-smoked" pipe it may have been on the shelf for several years. According to a flier I received recently from IP&A (the folks who make Grabows now) the Grand Duke is their most poplar line. I prefer the Golden Duke and Royalton. I agree about the rustication--ain't as nice as it used to be. If you are thinking to get more Grabows you should sign up for their mail order offers.Better selection than you will see in stores,usually at better prices plus the chance to buy pipes that are not offered in any store.
Email Debbie at Debbie.Osborne@internationalpipes.com give your address and ask to be added to the mail order mailing list or call 336-372-5521. Email is usually best. IIRC, they are only open 4 days a week.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Great review! Love to hear pipe reviews in detail such as yours!
Ejames, great information! I just emailed Debbie myself!
I love my Grabows. My favorite one is the duke straight, that I smoked too fast and hot one day and cracked the shank. I tried wire to hold it together, pipe cake, and now I have wood putty and super glue holding it together. I just can't get rid of the damn thing.
Must be time for more!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Various reactions from me. I didn't know Walgreens sold pipes in their stores anywhere anymore. It's a big chain and I thought they'd removed them from their inventory, so I was surprised. I'm not a big proponent of drugstores selling pipes or tobacco; but I am disapproving of the "smoker friendly" tobacco shops that carry only the barest of pipe and pipe tobacco inventory, if any. That's my retail gripe.
As you know, Dr. Grabow pipes are made in Sparta, N.C., at the northwestern part of the state. I think the brand is some of the best of U.S. factory pipes. Rather than seeing them as inexpensive make-do pipes, I think they are their own category, very special items impressively crafted and unique. I do favor the upper end of their stock, the Royaltons, which come in a bulldog, apple (which looks prince-like in shape to me), and I think some billiards. I like these especially for their acrylic stems which I think may last longer than their other plastic stems. The shaping on the bulldogs strikes me as especially well-designed and refined. I suspect that people who look down their noses at these pipes are reading price tags more than looking at the pipes themselves.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
You're probably right on that last statement, MSO. But in all fairness (and speaking as a die-hard Grabow lover), I have gotten ahold of one Savoy and at least one Grand Duke that anyone would look down their nose at. It doesn't deter me from buying newer Grabows, but it sure as hell sharpens my technique for doing so.
And yes, some Walgreens still carry Grand Dukes and MM Legends, which is kind of nice to see.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Grabow pipes have been around for decades for good reason, they are good smokers at a good price, I have several beater pipes I keep at work, in my shop and keep one in my truck, always ready to smoke. I do believe the older ones, like many makes, are better made

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
I have one Grabow Golden Duke that was a sickly yellow-green color when I got it as an estate. After cleaning it smoked much hotter than my other pipes. I removed the outside varnish down to bare wood and now it smokes cool and comfortable. I can always count on a good smoke from it. Not bad for ten bucks on Ebay. Maybe I should get more? :)

tinsel

Oct 23, 2015
ejames, it did not say "pre smoked" on the package anywhere. So I guess its just a bowl coating. My mistake.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
It's a common misconception tinsel. Folks see an old Grabow ad or packaging that says the pipes are pre-smoked and assume all Grabows are. Not helped by the fact that some retailers (in their catalog) still say they are pre-smoked.
Also I have noticed on the P&C site that they say the Grabow stems are acrylic. Of the pipes made today,( and for several years) ONLY the Royalton has acrylic stems,the other lines ALL have ABS plastic stems.

hakchuma

Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
Enjoyed your review and thoughts. I'm a die-hard cob fan as I only pay a few bucks for them at my local B&M, but I have to say I know it's fun to pick up a pipe on a whim to be totally excited about the results.
I have one Grabow Westbrook that smokes so well that I only smoke it on occasion as I am afraid to break its magic.
Congrats on your choice.
image6-600x600.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.