PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikemacrdlnds

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 21, 2011
Just received some Frog Morton in the Celler; love it. Up there with the orginal Frog Morton.

mattnelson23

Might Stick Around
Sep 1, 2012
I am a new smoker and just had my first English. It was Frog Morton on the Town. I agree. It's smooth if you slow down and enjoy it. Too often, I overdo it to keep it lit and end up with a hot hand and bitten tongue. I would like to try the other FM ones out there.

smokey422

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2011
As mentioned earlier, I would try Frog Morton on the Town as a first English. It is a nice mild blend that won't bite and has a nice creamy taste. Since my original post, I have gotten my tin of Frog Morton's Cellar. It has quite a bit of a different taste and the whiskey is definitely evident in the smoke. I also like it a lot and will be ordering more. I haven't smoked my tin far enough down to find my piece of barrel stave yet.
Smokey

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I'm brand new here, but I've been smoking a pipe for roughly thirty years. Anyway, here are some other English blends I'd highly recommend, which often get overlooked...
1. For me, Dan Tobacco's London Blend #1000 is a quintessential English. It's not a "luxury" smoke; it's just an extremely well-made medium-weight English.
2. J.F. Germain's Royal Jersey Oriental Latakia Mixture: A delicious English that seems to be virtually ignored.
3. Butera's Royal Vintage: Latakia No. 1. In my opinion, this is far better than this line's Latakia No. 2, and a very enjoyable smoke.
4. If you're looking for something a bit stronger (but not in terms of nicotine), I also recommend Dan Tobacco's Gordon Pym, which leans toward the heavier side of the latakia spectrum. It also features a tiny bit of Syrian latakia among the more-dominant Cyprian latakia.
5. To see how an unflavored cavendish can enhance an English blend, I'd recommend Esoterica's Margate.
Take care,
Bob

stanven

Lurker
Dec 15, 2012
Texas
I have tried the Cellar and enjoy it quite well. I am a relative beginner when it comes to tobacco varieties. What are your favorite Virginia or Virginia Perique blends?

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I'm just starting to experiment with the English style blends. Maybe it's just the blends I've tried so far but I feel almost like the Latakia makes them all taste the same. I'm not a big fan of it however I do have to say that I did enjoy the Frog Morton Cellar.

scurvydog

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 23, 2012
I really like English...Taste is subjective but my recommendation is Northwoods by Boswell!

Status
Not open for further replies.