PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Next cob you buy, you might want to try a special edition with an acrylic stem and no filter. Your Legend is a good pipe, but you will have to replace the soft plastic stem from time to time. With a filter and a mild blend, you pretty much miss any flavor. Just leave the filter out.

Wuce Brayne

Might Stick Around
Apr 19, 2021
I use filters occasionally. Some blends I enjoy so much I tend to smoke too fast and hot. When I get to the point of being bit by this bad habit, I find the extra restriction of air helps me to get back to proper 'sipping' rhythm.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I use filters occasionally. Some blends I enjoy so much I tend to smoke too fast and hot. When I get to the point of being bit by this bad habit, I find the extra restriction of air helps me to get back to proper 'sipping' rhythm.
those wind caps might help. They certainly restrict the draw.
I have to agree that filters aren't for everyone. I never liked them. The people I've met who like them tend to admit to being puffers more then sippers.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Really? It goes through it, but the filter isn't butted up against the hole on the smoker's side. Plus, I don't chew tobacco and I prefer the ick to stay on the bowl side. YMMV.
If the end of the filter isn’t jammed into the taper of the stem the smoke will just pass around the outside

Reactions: JOHN72

Wuce Brayne

Might Stick Around
Apr 19, 2021
I have. They usually fall loose.
the filter should stay in the stem when you remove it.
My normal filter pipe, the one I use most is a Dr. Grabow Duke. I find the Grabow filter pipe to be pretty cleanly flush with the filter inserted. Perhaps this is the major reason that I tend to have success in my use of filters. Definitely something to think about.

Reactions: BROBS

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I have. They usually fall loose.
the filter should stay in the stem when you remove it.
this has not been my experience with my filtered pipes. I lease about a 1/16 if a. Inch of room in the end and they work as they should. Think of the balsa wood filters. They don’t catch everything but they catch enough.

Reactions: BROBS and scloyd

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I use a filter on my cobs from time to time and rally don't notice much of a difference except with the draw.
On my Brigham pipes I use the filter very rarely. It doesn't hinder the smoke but I usually just forget to add it.

Reactions: BROBS