PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottbtdmb

Can't Leave
Apr 14, 2012
Morning gents,
Being new here on the forums, I wanted to waste no time discussing the things I enjoy in life, often related to pipe smoking! Next weekend, I am going on a camping trip with friends up in the mountains of Pennsylvania. A buddy of mine has a cabin up there and this will be my first time going up with him and other friends. Apparently, there is a fire-pit on site, horse shoes, plenty of hiking, and a lake only 15 minutes away with good fishing promised. Every Spring, I always try to do several camping excursions as I love the outdoors and all Mother Nature has to offer. As always, I will be bringing up some pipes, tobaccos, and cigars to enjoy while fishing and especially around the campfire at night. There is something about smoking around a campfire, while singing songs with friends and passing around potent potables that always seems to strike a chord with me.
I am really excited to bring along a really nice carrying case that my girlfriend bought me for my birthday. It has 6 separate compartments in side that are all velcro attached so that you can adjust accordingly to fit various items. I have used it a few times already for day trips and I can fit inside all 3 of my pipe bags which hold 10 pipes between them, a six pack of beer, a travel sized humidor that houses 5 cigars, my ipods and ipod docking station, my Nook Color for reading, and a couple of beer glasses just because I am a beer snob (lol). There is a separate compartment on the outside of the bag that can fit all of my pipe pouches, several tins, and any pipe/cigar accessories that I would need to bring. Basically, it is a party in a bag, lol!!!
So how about it, are there any camping enthusiasts on here? I would love to hear where you guys like to camp and any classic stories you would care to share.

gwynclan

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2012
Guys hiking trip to smokey mountains every year. 20-25 gents in a huge chalet, 7-10 mile hike in mornings then back to chalet for beer, booze and baccy. Gourmet meals for dinner. Boxes of cigars and tons of pipes and pipe baccy brought. Its the only thing that gets me through the year.

usally a 4 day trip.

Not really roughing it but great hikes, my avatar is from one of the ridges on our way to some falls.

mlaug

Part of the Furniture Now
May 23, 2010
Iowa
My wife and I used to backpack somewhere every vacation. I think my two best camping memories are from trips we made to the Grand Tetons and the Theodore Roosevelt National Park.
The Teton Crest Trail is breathe taking. We spent a perfect highcountry night at Lake Solitude. Thinking of this makes me wish I was in my twentys again. :( We haven't been to the park in years, but then (late '70s early '80s) it was much less travelled by hikers and tourists who favored Yellowstone, just up the road. Cascade Canyon features a number of water falls and the trail ran up the canyon next to the stream for much of the nine mile hike to the lake. We took 7-10 day trips there for four or five years. I have some very special memories.

High country thunderstorms are magnificent, even in a tent.

We inadvertantly walked into a group of moose loafing in the shade of a pine grove. Scared the bejeezus out of us.

My wife tolerates latakia over a campstove. Its the only place that happens.
In the Theodore Roosevelt National Park we hiked the badlands area and watched elk, wild horses and big horn sheep. It isn't a crowded park and the heat and water limitations make some extra planning necessary, but well worth the effort. I remember watching a small herd of wild horses come down to a water hole at dusk. It was so dark we could hear them better than we could see them. We were also there during the bison rut in early August. That has to be one of the most primal events I've ever witnessed. Bulls have a low sub sonic growl they use to warn off interlopers and one can feel it to the core of the body. The fights were awesome. Two massive bulls squared off and thrashing at each other with those wicked horns is something I'll never forget. Heck, I'm a farmer and seeing a couple of bulls go at it isn't something new, but never like this.
Now we spend every summer in the Boundry Waters area in Minnesota. Paddling a canoe is easier on my knees than backpacking.

scottbtdmb

Can't Leave
Apr 14, 2012
Wow guys, it's great to hear from fellow "Brothers" who are also camping enthusiasts as well. I am not sure exactly where in PA we are going next week, but from the way my neighbor described the route, I am thinking it has to be somewhere near the Poconos. It is a 4 hour drive from Maryland, but generally I camp in Delta, PA right across the Mason Dixon Line, only about a 45 min drive from my place. It is one of those "rough it" kind of camping trips where you park on the side of a bridge and hike back a few miles. There are 2 or 3 makeshift campsites set up right on the banks of Muddy Run Creek and it is absolutely gorgeous. I will have to post pictures sometime...some of the best things in life really are for free! We have learned to consolidate our great to withstand the hike, which is only a mile and a half, but involves a lot of rugged terrain and narrow passageways that overlook steep drop-offs (very scary to hike back through there at night!). We will generally bring back backpack tents, backpack coolers, and one huge backpack that holds all of the miscellaneous things we need. We bring back empty milk jugs and a water filtration system to save weight, we bring hatchets and saws to cut our own wood, and generally will bring dry food packs for dinners and breakfast to save more room. I do find enough room in the backpack however to bring pipes, cigars, beers, a French Press for coffee, and a small docking station for the ipod. The site is very remote and I do not believe there are any houses or roads for a mile in any direction, so we feel free to laugh as loudly as we want and play music as loud as possible late into the night. I have had a lot of great memories there and it is a special occasion where I will break out a HUGE Radice Rind GGG pipe and load it up with a heavy English, sit down, and contemplate the vast intricacies of life for a solid hour and a half! As excited as I am about the cabin trip next week, I still yearn for some real, rugged, outdoor tent camping, which hopefully will be planned for sometime in May. Anyhow, keep the camping stories coming, you are getting me in the mood, lol!
-Scott

chero

Can't Leave
Dec 25, 2010
Welcome scott,we have been camping for the last 35 to 45 years. Boy scouts,kids and grandkids, they are all grown now with kids of there own. we now camp in a travel trailer, age seems to take a toll on us and we had to give up the tent. we try to camp 6 months a year, two weeks at a time in between doctor visits,when you get in the golden years as they call it you will know what i mean.

Happy Camping

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I've made my reservations at a local State Park to "initiate" my family into camping. It's close to home so that if we get rained out and no one wants to stay (except me of course) they can go home or my Mother-in-Law's. Hopefully, they'll enjoy it enough to want to do it again.
-Jason

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Funny how it goes. A couple weekends ago we had what will be our LAST camping trip of the year, until late fall.
Life in South Florida -- camping is a late fall and winter activity, unless you want to lose ALL your blood to mosquitoes.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
We do the tent thing but not been out this year yet. Here's a couple shots of last year's family trip to Shawnee State Park near Portsmouth, OH and the Ohio River. Camp cooking is one of my favorite activities followed closely by a pipe around the evening fire.
0241.jpg

2541.jpg

stogie37

Mar 24, 2012
Southport, North Carolina
Hey Scott - I tend to utilize my cabin in SouthEastern Ohio year 'round. Winter just sees us hiking, fishing & hunting a bit less, sitting by the woodstove with a pipe and a mug of tea a bit more! Just two weeks ago, I took my two boys, 7 & 9, down to the cabin for a few days for their Spring break. I only brought two pipes with me, which ended up recieving quite a work out! That trip found me sitting on the bank of the different ponds we fish watching & puffing more than actually fishing. Nights around the fire always inclue a pipe, and usually a last pipe in the cabin while I told stories to the boys as they drifted off to sleep tucked in their sleeping bags. I have no doubt that they will remeber the scent of good Virginia tobacco all their lives and will associate it with these times.

gwynclan

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2012
Stogie37,

you painted a picture of years past for me thanks!

Never really forget the times had with family, just get to buisy to remember now and then.

Jeff

stogie37

Mar 24, 2012
Southport, North Carolina
Gwynclan, my pleasure! Of course, as you can appreciate, the stories my boys wanted to hear most were of myself & my Grandpa and our wilderness exploits when I was their age. They aren't old enough to remember him personally, but they'll get to know him through his guns, lures, hunting & fishing spots and what he passed on through me. Priceless...

bob1

Lurker
Dec 15, 2011
bentmike,

I thought I had posted those pics and forgot about it! (gettin' old)

Your campsite is a dead ringer for my own campsite every year, right down to your camp stove and tablecloth.
Ahhh the smell of the pine trees and a good pipe tobacco.
The best combination this side of heaven........

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
I like the Coleman stuff. My stove and cooler in the background look new in the photos but are actually 20 years old. My wife and I bought the stuff when we first married and been using it since. Camping makes great memories thats for sure. My mom was pregnant with me and tent camping in the Smokey Mountains National Park when a bear wandered into their campsite. My dad and grandpa chased it off. I don't remember that one but I'm sure it was exciting.
Now we share the fun with our son so even though it's a ton of work dragging the gear out camping is an experience and tradition kids need to experience.

docrx

Jan 9, 2011
My favorite camping trip was a yearly outing to Assateague State Park in Maryland a site on the Maryland Shore where wild ponies inhabited the park.Second favorite was Red Rock in Pennsylvania.

scottbtdmb

Can't Leave
Apr 14, 2012
Doc I have never been to Assateague State Park and with it only being 2 or 3 hours away, I think I will have to make a note to camp there at some point this year. Just out of curiosity, are the rangers intrusive at all there? I am not a hell raiser by any means and respect the outdoors completely (as well as any neighbors), but I do enjoy drinking a beer and despite the ban on alcohol in Maryland State Parks, I don't need to camp where rangers are nosy and want to know what is in my plastic cup! Also, I have never heard of Red Rock in Pa? What could you tell me about that spot?
-Scott

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
We're not campers and for us, camping is staying at a Fairfield Inn versus a Courtyard...
But, I'd love to see a picture of your new pipe case, with the adjustable compartments. I was looking to acquire and/or create something with that feature.

docrx

Jan 9, 2011
@Scott......Assateague is broken into 2 campsites . One is a federal park with few amenities and is beautiful but I never camped there because I like a Shower etc. The State park is just as nice and has showers and I believe a few hookups.I never experienced any intrusions or problems with rangers or other campers. The sites are big enough for some privacy and we enjoyed bonfires and alcohol.Also just outside of campsites is a nice store for any provisions you may need and the park is near to ocean city for some fun with a boardwalk and fun bars.A few steps over the dunes at Assateague is the beach and ocean. Just dont leave any food outside the tent or the ponies will feast. Red rock is in Benton,Pa. and is also called Ricketts State park. It has beautiful lakes and a good trail with waterfalls for hiking.You can fish the lake or swim and canoes are available.You may also see some Amish youths there during the days. I would recommend making a reservation there as sites go quickly in the summer. There are showers and hookups and a spot to wash dishes.The scenery is just beautiful! Hope this helps ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.