PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckp

Might Stick Around
Nov 30, 2015

I purchased an inexpensive ($32) Dr.Grabow briar pipe over the weekend. I almost immediately noticed a difference in the taste of the tobacco. With the cob I was using (the Diplomat), I was experiencing a disagreeable after taste that I initially thought was the tobacco. With the first smoke of the briar, I did not notice it. I think it was the gluing used to glue the stem or at least it was some other aspect of the cob anyway. I had smoked about 15 bowls through the cob and it never went away. It suffices to say that, with the briar, it was a more enjoyable smoke.
Edit: can't see the image on my phone, I guess I did it wrong

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I usually get more of a weird after-taste from a new briar than a new cob, which I usually blame on the bowl coating. The taste of a new cob is pretty distinctive, but I think I've just gotten used to it! I own a fistful of those $32 Grabows, and in my opinion, you get a pretty darn good pipe for the money. I'm glad you're enjoying yours.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Congrats on entering the hobby/pastime! :clap:

Corncobs have their place -- and their devotees, but briars are available in a wide variety of shapes, inner bowl and draft geometries.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
If you like your new briar now, wait until it's fully broken in. Briars only smoke better the more you use them. That is to say, if they're not over smoked and properly maintained. Grabow's are the best bang for your buck.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have six or eight cob pipes and have never had any odd tastes from any of them, new or broken in. Mine are all either Missouri Meerschaum or Old Dominion with reed stems. Other brands, particularly some imported pipes, are notably not well constructed. It is always hard to generalize from limited experience. You may have just drawn an odd-lot bad cob pipe. However, I think you did just the right thing in getting the Dr. Grabow as a first briar pipe. I've been smoking a pipe on and off since they were building the pyramids, and I just bought another Dr. Grabow new ... happens to be a Royalton pot, and I also have a Royalton bulldog. Fine pipes at a wage earner prices. Eventually, try another cob of the brands I mentioned and I think you will have an equally good experience. When you gain some experience, you might want to go a step or two up in price level to get another briar pipe. Meantime, you will learn which tobacco blends you like; try these in small quantities, and try quite a few different ones, and don't buy anything in other than one or two ounces until you gain some experience. Your tastes will evolve and develop a lot, fairly quickly.

reniaeats

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Welcome! Grabow's are a great choice to begin with, but they're also a greta choice for an everyday pipe.
I agree with mso489 on the cob assessments. I know Missouri Meerschaum are the gold standard, but Old Dominion has some good stuff too and I love their story.
Out of curiousity, what are you smoking in your new pipe?

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Welcome. I'm curious to see what brand you pick when/if you decide to buy another briar. Enjoy the pipe.
P.S. Anyone try one of those Old Dominion clay pipes?
Out of curiousity, what are you smoking in your new pipe?

Yes please let us know what you've been smoking.

chuckp

Might Stick Around
Nov 30, 2015
I have been smoking Lane BCA....of all the aromatics I've tried, about 10, it's the one I like the most. I would like to have a good cherry as the two I've tried, well not that great (C&D Dark Cherry Cavendish, McClelland Three Cherry Blend).
Here are the two pipes that I'm interested in for my next briar...I really like the Dublin shape:

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/savinelli/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=176964

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/savinelli/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=175835

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Sav is an excellent choice.
Have you thought about trying some other style tobacco's like latakia or oriental tobacco's?
I'd suggest Frog Morton Cellar, McClelland's Yenidje Highlander, Dunhill Early Morning Pipe.

chuckp

Might Stick Around
Nov 30, 2015
Well I've only been at this for about a month after never having smoked at all, so I'm just trying some mild aromatics now. I've no interest in stronger nicotine tobaccos, not that the ones you mention are, just sayin. BCA seems to be pretty mild.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Those are all mild. I think Frog Morton Cellar would be a nice cross over for you between aro and latakia blends.
BCA is good. I like 1Q also from Lane. Also RLP.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I usually attribute the rare odd taste in a trusted pipe to the condition of my palate at the time. If it starts to be a regular occurrence with a certain pipe, a good cleaning usually clears it up. And, more than once I've concluded that the odd taste is from something strange which somehow found its way into the blend.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Lately, new cobs have had a strange taste that remind me of cardamom pods. After 5 smokes it disappears. Never noticed this before.

tinsel

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
I've no interest in stronger nicotine tobaccos
So ... I guess I'll just hold off on suggesting jackknife for your cob then ... :)
Seriously though. Aside from the "New Cob Taste" that I always get from my new MM cobs, I have noticed a funky taste towards the bottom of a couple of them when they are fairly new. It never seems to last very long though. A couple of suggestions from my experience:
I always take a small pocket screwdriver before loading up a new cob and pick out any loose pieces that are hanging around in the bottom. Don't get greedy or rough, just knock out the loose stuff. A lot of times there are little pieces of cob or wood that have some glue on them that will come out with the gentlest of touches.
Next, I don't clean my cobs very well. I just knock out the ash when I'm done smoking, and occasionally give it a very light paper towel wipe. The stuff that settles in between the edges of the stem and the wall of the bowl ... I leave it there.
I can't promise this will fix the problems you are having, it's just the way I do things and it seems to work for me. However, I was a cigarette smoker for almost 15 years and only smoke non-aros, typically with plenty of vitamin N ... so YMMV
Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.