PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rolldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
A lot of tobaccos smell better than they taste. In the case of this blend, the opposite is true and that is a wonderful thing. So on to first impressions, first light and first bowl thoughts.
First impressions were not high I must say. The smell was flat and a little disappointing. Then I noticed large chunks of the blend stuck together like granola, but not any granola, the bound together with 1 part honey, 1 part super glue granola. Determination allowed me to break this into its short cut ribbons for packing in a classic billiard from Cayuga.
First light crackled, like Sutliff's Molte Dolce, but that is where the similarities end. Sharing more virtues of other light Lat blends, this reminded me of Frog Morton's Cellar with a little less oak, a bit sweeter and a bit smoother. True light didn't change that first light puff impression and as I settled into the bowl, it was smooth, complex with the oriental kicking in and very smokey lat flavor.
The middle of the bowl did not change in profile, which again was a pleasant discovery. Sipping, tasting, puffing, repeat. Right to the bottom and a sweet ash, my first bowl was a wonderful experience and I am looking forward to more.
If you were on the fence in trying SPC Plumb Pudding, do yourself a favor and give it a try.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Good review, sir. YMMV but try gravity loading it still a little chunky and not packing it down much at all. I find that gives me the best burn.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Thanks for the Plumb Pudding review. It was on the level.
Your such a square! :rofl:
... try gravity loading it still a little chunky
Agreed! Now and then you'll hit an extra smokey or spicy pocket which is nice.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Yeah Plum pudding is amazing, smokes better on the dryer side, you get more flavors. I find alot of similarities between plum pudding and penzance only I prefer plum pudding, they both have a really perfect level of balance, I just find plum pudding has a bit more flavor which I enjoy more, but they both have the same really creaminess

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
If you were on the fence in trying SPC Plumb Pudding, do yourself a favor and give it a try.
I was never on the fence about this blend as I've heard nothing but good reports on it. But now that I've read your observations along with the comments of others in this thread, it definitely moves to the top of the list. I'm currently enjoying a tin of FMOTB, and it's quite good, but the SPC Plumb Pudding sounds even better!

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
This must be megasweet if you're saying it's sweeter than Frog Morton Cellar, and even mentioning Molto Dolce within the thread. It always seemed interesting to me, but I prefer my latakia blends on the savory side.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
I was going to bypass the sample that is in the Box Pass. This thread just changed my mind

CherokeeBilly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2014
Granbury, TX
Plum pudding is so awesome! If you haven't tried Mississippi River do yourself a favor and get some. To me they are equally as good as the other.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Oh yes. I Love SPC Plum pudding. Yaz, I am glad you are going to try it now. It is going to rock your world. I try to have at least a pound on hand at all times.

rolldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
I am glad my observations were well received and inspired some to give it a try. Thank you all for the kind words.
@Escioe - just a clarification on my MD reference, it was only the 'crackling' that was similar, not the over sweetness. Yes, there is sweet, but nothing in the neighborhood of MD
@Huskysibe - I have Miss. River from this latest order as well and will be enjoying that next, but still stuck on Plumb Pudding right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.