PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Had a bowl of Sutliff Burley Delight #212 which was my first time with a burley and it was fantastic!
This stuff has a very noticeable sweetness without being cloying or over the top. The smoke itself seemed light in weight yet still had a richness to it. There was also a noticeable dry tanginess component which worked well with the sweetness. Something like hay with a grapefruit tang but with zero bitterness. The chocolate came across as more of a cocoa powder with vanilla flavor.
I started this bowl with the remainder of a bottle of Negra Modelo which was a nice pairing but quickly switched to a bottle of 2017 Gouden Carolus Cuvée van de Keizer Blauw which was just an unbelievable combination! I don't know if the rich maltiness of the beer and its candy sugars enhanced he tobacco or if it was the other way around but it was stunning to say the least. I swear there were a few moments where light shone down from above and angelic singing was heard. :puffy:
Okay maybe it was the beer that really made the blend shine but if you get the chance I highly recommend giving it a try.
I did notice that this blend seemed to "expand" in the bowl and needed to be tamped more than the wet and sticky aromatics I'm used to. I'm not sure if this is how burley burns compared to other blends or that I'm just more used to gooey blends. I also managed to smoke it down to ash without any dottle. Normally I have a bit of dottle with the aromatics which is another contrast between the types I guess. I'm not sure if this is due to the moisture content of aromatics or not. It also seemed to smoke faster but this may just have been me puffing to much while trying to figure things out.
Once I kind of figured it out I could keep it lit much better. I'm definitely looking forward to trying this one again. Next time I think I'll pack a little more in the bowl vs how I normally do it with aromatics. Do burleys age well or should I not bother? Is this what burleys are like in general or just this blend?

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
Sounds really nice - happened to be smoking Gawith Hoggarth Bob's Chocolate Flake when I found your post. So it really sounds like something I would like to try!
I've never aged any myself, but a year or two sure doesn't hurt it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
shanez, that was quite an experience. I won't jump to a conclusion, but you could just be a natural burley smoker. You don't know on one experience; it could have been the excellent beer pairings, or just this particular blend, or an up mood of receptiveness with a new blend. Or, all of the above, and the fact that you are a natural burley smoker. Over the years on Forums, it seems to me that some people can't get much out of burley; some people really dislike most if not all burley; and some people just naturally like most burley single leaf and most burley blends. Try several more samples in small quantities, and you will get a feel for where you stand on this. I don't think burley unfolds and blooms with aging the way Virginia does, but at least it keeps well, and occasionally it decidedly improves. Right now, the dominant blender with burley seems to be Cornell & Diehl, going way back to the previous ownership at its previous location in Morganton, N.C. So a selection of small bulk samples from that source, currently at smokingpipes.com in S.C., might lead you on your further exploration of burley and its blends. Many other blenders also produce good burley products; on the recommendation of two Forums members I just ordered a one-pound bag of Daughters and Ryan Two Timer, an all burley blend. There is a lot to try from many sources.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I am a Burley man myself, and I prefer it during the summer over Virginia. Nothing much to add to mso's suggestions. Burley, I guess, is either a love or hate thing, and trying out different things can improve your relationship with it. If you are just starting out on Burley, I wouldn't overlook your American classic, Carter Hall by John Middleton Inc.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I love a good Burley, straight or blended with Virginia. It adds backbone and for those of us with more sensitive tongues, keeps the nip away.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Among other uses, I like burley in English blends with the Virginia, Latakia, and etc. Many good English blends have it.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
My favorite burley right now is Five Brothers! tobacco.
If you've had it you know why they put "!" in the name.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Five Brothers! is good on its own and a nice mixing blend for a boost to other leaf.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
My only complaints thus far on Five Brothers is it comes in a 1.25 oz. bag for the money and the other being this is the only size available. Love the shag cut. Cram it in, light and you are set.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
All good stuff, can't go wrong with either of mentioned blends here,I like smoking basic burleys as Mc Baren Golden Extras,Symphony and Amphora brown especially when I'm working,so to say beyond the wheel.They seem to be more forgiving in comparison to Virginia forward offerings which I like as well but preferably when I'm at home.

dontbeaburleyman

Might Stick Around
Dec 22, 2013
Central California
Have yet to find a burley I can tolerate. I so desperately want to like Peretti's Thanksgiving blend (among others). I can't get anything from it. No sweetness. Just bitter, acrid smoke that overpowers the casing and anything else in it.
I can taste it when it's used in other blends as a condiment. It's tolerable that way but definitely know it's there. I try to avoid burley heavy blends.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I am not a straight burley guy. I have tried Solani Aged Burley Flake and Wessex Burley Slices and neither were enjoyable. I do happen to really enjoy a good Virginia/burley flake. My favorites are:

Stonehaven

Peterson Irish Flake, University Flake and 3P

Mac Baren Old Dark Fired

St Bruno Flake

Solani 660 Silver Flake

GL Pease Navigator

Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky

Rattray Wallace Flake

Status
Not open for further replies.