PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I always wanted to make a pipe since starting to smoke, I am reasonably handy with tools, and always look for ways to make stuff rather than buy them, if I can - it's not thriftiness, it's just the joy of making something with your hands that you can use.

A colleague who knows I smoke a pipe, as well as that I like crafts gifted me a hobby block from Vauen (predrilled, with stem) upon completion of a tricky collaboration we had, so once I got my hands on some of my tools I got to work.

This was done with an angle grinder with flap disc, and a metal file. Horribly inappropriate and unsafe use of the grinder, and I am missing the most vital tool in any workshop (I don't even have a workshop!): a workbench with vise. Nevertheless, 2.5 hours later I ended up with something rough, but passable for me, and learnt a ton in the process. Next time, there will be a next time, many next times in fact, will be much better. Still need to sand it smooth, and stain it, will post final results once I do.

I am always happy to hear criticism, I started using a cutting wheel but made two very ugly gouges to the wood, next time I'll just use the flap disc for rough removing of material. Interestingly, as the angle grinder burns the wood rather than removing it, it gave me some ideas for using it for texture as well as patterns.

That's my starting material, already showing my first f-up with the cutting wheel.
1.png
My first concern was the rough shaping of the stem, as I knew that bit would give me trouble:

2.jpg

That's the texturing from the angle grinder, I want to use this and combine it with staining for some faceted effect.

3.jpg
4.jpg

And this is after at least 1.5 hours with the file, trying to clean up as much as possible while also making the stem connection seem flush, needs quite a bit more work but it was getting dark :)

8.jpg
9.jpg

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Only problem is you burnt the wood with the angle grinder. You’ll have to sand past it!

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Yeah, I've filed and sanded it smooth apart from two bit - they deep gouges left by the cutting wheel. I won't be using that again. Over this weekend I'm hoping to smoothen it further with 600 grit sandpaper and maybe even have a smoke in it :)
You still have a lot of sanding to do. I’d rough it with 200 grit until you are past all the marks then go up from there. It takes a long time!! Don’t be impatient

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Commendable shaping! One option, while you are at this point, is to leave this unfinished and let the darkening serve as stain. Often this comes up a light, then darkening, walnut, and can sometimes be deep and resonant, almost like the finish on some pianos. Many other options, but now is the time to consider this. You do a good pipe! No question.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
You still have a lot of sanding to do. I’d rough it with 200 grit until you are past all the marks then go up from there. It takes a long time!! Don’t be impatient

Ah but these pics are just rough after filling with a metal file. All the marks you see are gone now as I sanded it with 120, 240, 400 and then 600 but don't want to post too many pics before finished.

Alexander Zsavos (sp?) has Greek briar hobby blocks pretty cheap on the bay.

I got to know him, the two hobby blocks in my other thread are from him, he's about 10 mins from where I live in Athens.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Ah but these pics are just rough after filling with a metal file. All the marks you see are gone now as I sanded it with 120, 240, 400 and then 600 but don't want to post too many pics before finished.

I got to know him, the two hobby blocks in my other thread are from him, he's about 10 mins from where I live in Athens.
That’s cool!!! I didn’t realize you were in Greece.

and I didn’t know you had already sanded more than the pics. Good luck!!

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I always wanted to make a pipe since starting to smoke, I am reasonably handy with tools, and always look for ways to make stuff rather than buy them, if I can - it's not thriftiness, it's just the joy of making something with your hands that you can use.

A colleague who knows I smoke a pipe, as well as that I like crafts gifted me a hobby block from Vauen (predrilled, with stem) upon completion of a tricky collaboration we had, so once I got my hands on some of my tools I got to work.

This was done with an angle grinder with flap disc, and a metal file. Horribly inappropriate and unsafe use of the grinder, and I am missing the most vital tool in any workshop (I don't even have a workshop!): a workbench with vise. Nevertheless, 2.5 hours later I ended up with something rough, but passable for me, and learnt a ton in the process. Next time, there will be a next time, many next times in fact, will be much better. Still need to sand it smooth, and stain it, will post final results once I do.

I am always happy to hear criticism, I started using a cutting wheel but made two very ugly gouges to the wood, next time I'll just use the flap disc for rough removing of material. Interestingly, as the angle grinder burns the wood rather than removing it, it gave me some ideas for using it for texture as well as patterns.

That's my starting material, already showing my first f-up with the cutting wheel.
View attachment 31008
My first concern was the rough shaping of the stem, as I knew that bit would give me trouble:

View attachment 31009

That's the texturing from the angle grinder, I want to use this and combine it with staining for some faceted effect.

View attachment 31010
View attachment 31011

And this is after at least 1.5 hours with the file, trying to clean up as much as possible while also making the stem connection seem flush, needs quite a bit more work but it was getting dark :)

View attachment 31013
View attachment 31014
only criticism I could level is maybe that power tools are somewhat dangerous. Seriously if you cut off a finger they make you teach shop class to high school students, you know as long as you're aware of what can happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.