PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Hello folks, well just to show a few pics. I'm still having trouble with the stem/shank interface but I'm getting great help from the awesome folks on the pipe makers forum. Just wanted to let you have a look.

6GkQ7mA.jpg

dD9pet5.jpg

upKiQ3R.jpg

HiVNYio.jpg

Ua5jD9w.jpg

UuIcqHo.jpg

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I like it! Nice work. I wonder how it would look with an ever-so-slight bend in the stem...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Striking shape with just the right cant to be dramatic but not to cause a problem lighting it. The finish is superb and the grain.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
As always, thank you for the comments.

aldecaker, I thought about bending it but after looking at quite a few pictures online I decided to go with straight.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Again, thank you for the kind words. I'm glad someone suggested joining the pipe makers forum. A gold mind of information and learning.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
This pipe is now up for bids on ebay in case you're interested in trying to buy some new wood.

It was off at one dollar, and it's already up to $36.00 (Canadian)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hand-Carved-Cutty-Briar-Tobacco-Pipe/322644159189?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Just to clarify for the forum members.

I took my listing down because I was reticent to put it up in the first place. I took it down because I am not happy with the shank/stem interface. There is the smallest of small gaps and the joint is not 'perfect'. It's better after the feedback I received on it from folks on the pipe makers forum and I worked on it for about four hours last Sunday afternoon but in my eyes, it is not perfect. A person can run their fingers over the interface and it is smooth and you have to look real close at it to actually see it. I think it would none the less be an awesome smoker and like all my pipes, it passes a pipe cleaner.

Anyway, I thought I better clarify.

nuff said.

Chris

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Aha, all is now clear Chris. Still, as it looks in the above pictures it really looks quite perfect to me. I have no doubt it will sell should you choose to relist it.
Shame it's in Canada and not the UK :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Thanks Jay. I guess I should really come clean. The reason I sometimes list these pipes is to try and recover some of the cost of supplies. I've invested a lot of money in equipment, even though my wood lathe is just a small, relatively inexpensive King Industrial (probably the equivalent of a Harbor Freight) lathe. My wife and I talk about this adventure called pipe making at length. She expressed the opinion that unless I recouped at least at the very minimum the cost of my briar, stems, stain. etc. it would be her suggestion to shut it down. I certainly understand her reasoning. Briar is not cheap. And if you have wastage, then the price can soar. So I made the decision to once in awhile try and sell a pipe. If I recover the cost of the briar at the minimum, I can at least buy another block of briar. I work with an extremely limited briar reserve. At the moment I have 4 pieces left. Since I am out of work except for my season motorcycle tire business we are on a pretty tight budget.

Anyway, that's the deal.

Chris

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Chris, what an interesting backstory. Perhaps you might get better results selling your pipes here on the forum?
Folks know you here and are fully aware of your skills as a pipemaker. Those that I have seen have all been excellently carried out and though no expert I would wager they would sell on the forum.
T'would be a huge shame if you felt you had to give up something you clearly enjoy doing after you have invested so much time, energy and cash in the project.
Keep with it chum :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.