PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbauer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2011
Livermore, CA
I am a college student in LA, and i have a regular B&M that I go to. When I am home for breaks however, I obviously don't get to go to my normal B&M. Over christmas break, I was at a pipe place in the bay area where my parents live. I bought a bunch of different tobaccos just to try them. Most were really good, but nothing that I need or would even be a regular addition to my tobacco rotation. except for one tobacco......
It was called fireside by the B&M (however I am pretty sure its just under a different name, most of theirs are). I called the place to ask what the actual tobacco is called but they said that they cant give that information out to me. I am almost out of the ounce that I bought there, and i would really like to get some more.
The description of the tobacco from their website is as follows.....

"Medium blend of Black Cavendish and lemon Virginias sans a top note to yield the natural delicate rich vanilla and caramel to the palate."
I have looked for myself to see if I can maybe figure it out....but I just dont know. I do have a few ideas, but I was wondering if anyone here knows what it might be. Even if you know something that is just kinda similar to it your input would be great.

thanks.

bbauer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2011
Livermore, CA
it isnt 1Q..... they have another blend that is almost exactly 1Q. This one is more carmel and less vanilla. but that was my first thought too.
and nsfisher thats a good idea

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
they cant give that information out to me
Give em hell... Any B&M I've asked for that info, they've given it to me. At one in Dallas, the store sells tobacco and coffee, the lady had to go get the book since she's knowledgeable about coffee, but not the pipe tobacco.
If that fails, nsfisher's idea is a good one.

dylan793

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2011
Buchanan, GA
Ya know, this business of bulk blends being masqueraded as " house blends" in B&Ms is quite annoying to me :? Why do so many do this? Then you have to twist their arms to get them to even tell you "kinda sorta" what they are. This is off-topic, sorry. Needed a slight vent :lol:

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
"Fireside" was the name of the tobacco at the kaywoodie contest, doesnt match that description, to me that fireside was not so nice....
I am sure you could find a very similar tasting baccy if you look hard enough, also maybe contact some blenders

bbauer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2011
Livermore, CA
paul that looks pretty similar to what i was thinking. i know a place around here that carries mcclelland bulk blends...so i might have to see how close they are! thanks or the help.and mick ill check my pm right now. thanks guys.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
can I say bingo ? :clap:
I talked to the store, they were very helpful out there. But knowing how sensitive they can get on these "renamed" brands, I put it in a PM to him.
PS: I do agree that it's kinda silly. But no B&M I have talked to and shopped at has ever refused to tell me the blend they use

classicgeek

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 8, 2010
My usual B & M carries a lot of McClelland tins, and about ten or twelve bulk blends that are are named according to the "Goodfellas" motif. It was fun once I realized that all of them were McClelland blends. I spent an hour or so matching up the descriptions to the names, and now I have a cheat sheet. Not that they ever tried to "hide" or "withhold" the information. They lifted the blend descriptions directly from McClelland's materials.
Mmm... maybe I need a bowl of Made Man.
Simon

sweetbriar

Lurker
Feb 15, 2011
no idea what the fireside is.. but gawith puts out a good one called firedance..its there best brown with a lil blackberry topping on it.. crazy good..

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Lol, I have had a similar experience, with a shop that had a " proprietary" blend that I was able to get at the very next shop I went to. One shop I went to admitted that they used Stokebye's, and I was able to match their descriptions with Stokebye's on Stokebye's website.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Fireside" was the name of the tobacco at the kaywoodie contest, doesnt match that description, to me that fireside was not so nice....
I am sure you could find a very similar tasting baccy if you look hard enough, also maybe contact some blenders
That was "Fireside" by Park Lane Tobacconist (near Albany NY), it is a burley blend, and a very nice one by my tastes.

http://cigarsandpipes.com/tobacco/bulk-tobacco/park-lane-hand-blended-tobaccos/park-lane-fireside.html

yellowfan

Lurker
Nov 30, 2013
I also smoke a blend called Fireside from a local b&m. It's a deeply black black cavendish with some lightly sweet casing. I added some fire cured Kentucky tobacco to it to balance it out. I also cannot stand it when b&m shops change their names for proprietary reasons. I am a tobacconist at another b&m shop in Grand Rapids MI and we do not change the names of our 78 bulk blends for 2 reasons. 1) Unless there is the name of the "real" tobacco on the jar it is actually illegal, and 2) I want my customers to be able to know what they are smoking.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
bbauer:
Am I missing something obvious here? Why not simply contact the tobacconist in the Bay Area and have them ship a quantity of their Fireside blend to you? Most tobacconists will be pleased to perform this service.

Status
Not open for further replies.