PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sir Yak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 15, 2022
Arkansas
I was getting a few tins of Cringle Flake last week and decided to add a tin of Chocolate Flake to the order. I’d never tried it but somebody in the Briary was smoking it one day when I was in there and it smelled great.
I’m an experienced piper and I’m not sure I’ve ever had a harder time getting my bowl lit🤣. The first bowl was one I rubbed out and let dry for 30 min before loading. For the 2nd bowl I rubbed out a flake and let it sit out for about 6 hours before packing it. It was a little easier but not much! Once things finally got going it was alright.
So far I’ve enjoyed this blend, but I just wondered if others feel like they really have to work to get it going. Maybe I’ve got a really wet tin. I really can’t remember the last time I smoked any Sam Gawith blends so I’m not sure what is typical with their moisture levels.

• Wow
Reactions: JOHN72

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA
It tastes good for sure but it is a pain to keep lit. Probably my least favorite SG blend in terms of performance in the pipe. I have no issue with SJF, BBF or FVF after some dry time.

Reactions: Sir Yak

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
For me to get some blends dry enough to smoke sometimes takes a couple days sitting out.

I plan on trying my sample of 1q some day, but I don't have the patience right now 😂

Reactions: Winnipeger

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
Pack your pipe (gently) then leave it in the chamber for a few days before lighting it. You can do that with the cube-cut/gravity fill too. That might take patience but it usually works well for me with a rotation of pipes. 99% if the time I have no relights.

Or:

Probably 6 hours of dry time is insufficient. Try 24, 48, 72. Intact flakes will dry slowly enough that you can leave them sitting out for a while without worrying about it. I put the tobacco in a jar and leave the lid off for up to several days until the flakes on top are nice and crispy. The flakes on the bottom will retain more moisture. Then seal the jar and leave it for a couple of weeks for the moisture to equalize throughout the jar. Repeat if necessary.

clynch

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2013
Pensacola Florida
Tried some Old Toby. Very moist. I didn't dry it out. Lit it multiple time then put it down over night. Following day it lit beautifully and smoked awesomely to the bottom of the bowl.

Reactions: Winnipeger