PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Briar’s Echo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 15, 2022
Lancaster County PA
Though I have been an off and on pipe smoker for more than 20 years, I never really focused too much on the type of tobacco I liked. And though I am trying (what I think is a variety) different tobaccos, I have not narrowed any one particular brand or type down that if I could only choose one I would choose this. So below is what I have tried and welcome others recommendations.

Peterson:
  • Connoisseurs choice
  • EMP
  • Balkan Mixture
Mac Baren
  • Seven Seas Original
  • Seven Seas Black
  • Scottish Mixture
C&D
  • Autumn Evening
Captain Black
  • Royal
  • Dark
Danish Viking Mix

Last edited by a moderator:

pipingfool

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2016
Seattle, WA
Variety is the spice of life!

I looks like you've mostly tried English blends and some aromatics. Maybe try a straight Virginia or a Virginia/Perique blend. They typically offer the most nuance and are typically a little sweeter than the English blends. The Perique adds a nice spiciness and sometimes a stewed fruit essence depending on the blend.

For Virginias I would start with:
Orlik Golden Sliced (this has a very tiny amount of Perique, but it smokes like a straight Va)
Newminster 400 Navy Flake
Macbaren Pure Virginia
PS Luxury Twist Flake

For Va/Pers (Virginia/Perique)
PS Luxury Navy Flake
GL Pease Stonehenge
GL Pease Fillmore
Two Friends Redwood (C&D)

If you're looking for a different type of aromatic, try Erinmore Flake. This is about the only "semi-aromatic" that I really like.

I'm sure there will be other suggestions.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I go with "judge the book by the cover" method. If I like the tin art or what's written on the tin, I'll buy and try it. But, I also use "I like everything by that author" method. I like everything from GLP, and most of Dunhill/Peterson.

Briar’s Echo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 15, 2022
Lancaster County PA
Variety is the spice of life!

I looks like you've mostly tried English blends and some aromatics. Maybe try a straight Virginia or a Virginia/Perique blend. They typically offer the most nuance and are typically a little sweeter than the English blends. The Perique adds a nice spiciness and sometimes a stewed fruit essence depending on the blend.

For Virginias I would start with:
Orlik Golden Sliced (this has a very tiny amount of Perique, but it smokes like a straight Va)
Newminster 400 Navy Flake
Macbaren Pure Virginia
PS Luxury Twist Flake

For Va/Pers (Virginia/Perique)
PS Luxury Navy Flake
GL Pease Stonehenge
GL Pease Fillmore
Two Friends Redwood (C&D)

If you're looking for a different type of aromatic, try Erinmore Flake. This is about the only "semi-aromatic" that I really like.

I'm sure there will be other suggestions.
Thank you for the recommendations. I’ll give them a try. When you say perique has a spice is this a hot type of spice.

Briar’s Echo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 15, 2022
Lancaster County PA
I go with "judge the book by the cover" method. If I like the tin art or what's written on the tin, I'll buy and try it. But, I also use "I like everything by that author" method. I like everything from GLP, and most of Dunhill/Peterson.
I’m the same way. If the tin looks interesting i will give it a try. That’s how I ended up with EMP.

Reactions: bullet08

dcicero

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
Though I have been an off and on pipe smoker for more than 20 years, I never really focused too much on the type of tobacco I liked. And though I am trying (what I think is a variety) different tobaccos, I have not narrowed any one particular brand or type down that if I could only choose one I would choose this. So below is what I have tried and welcome others recommendations.

Peterson:
  • Connoisseurs choice
  • EMP
  • Balkan Mixture
Mac Baren
  • Seven Seas Original
  • Seven Seas Black
  • Scottish Mixture
C&D
  • Autumn Evening
Captain Black
  • Royal
  • Dark
Danish Viking Mix
Give Sillems Black a go maybe

Reactions: Briar’s Echo

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I second trying out individual tobaccos/blends

Virginia,
Burley ,
Virginia + Burley = VABUR
Virginia + Perique = VAPER
Virginia+Burley + Perique = VABURPER
Try Orientals straight 😁don’t try Perique straight 😳

Old Codger Blends like , Sir Walter Raleigh , Carter Hall
New Codger Blends like Cornell & Diehl‘s Pegasus, Old Joe Krantz

happy hunting,

psst ( it never ends)

Last edited:
Reactions: Gojira

pipingfool

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2016
Seattle, WA
Thank you for the recommendations. I’ll give them a try. When you say perique has a spice is this a hot type of spice.
It can be a little “peppery” and can cause a little tingle in the nose on the retrohale. But when used skillfully it can add that “spice” as well as other dark fruit flavors as well. But it can also have some of those warm baking spices like clove and nutmeg.

Briar’s Echo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 15, 2022
Lancaster County PA
I second trying out individual tobaccos/blends

Virginia,
Burley ,
Virginia + Burley = VABUR
Virginia + Perique = VAPER
Virginia+Burley + Perique = VABURPER
Try Orientals straight 😁don’t try Perique straight 😳

Old Codger Blends like , Sir Walter Raleigh , Carter Hall
New Codger Blends like Cornell & Diehl‘s Pegasus, Old Joe Krantz

happy hunting,

psst ( it never ends)
Thanks. Yeah I am finding it never ends. So many options.

Reactions: vosBghos

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Tobaccoreviews.com is a good place to start. All of Boswells blends should be in there. One of my favorite aromatics is “no bite delite”.
Yep, tobaccoreviews.com

Go to the site and read about the blends you've tried so far. See who writes something that matches your taste and experience with it - and find out what they have said about other blends you're interested in trying.

You're on the path now and the choices are all yours.

Have fun!

Reactions: vosBghos and alexnc